PDA

View Full Version : Corned Venison

jh45gun
03-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes Today is St. Paddy's day and Yea I am going to eat some Corned Venison if you have never made it, its good stuff and you do not just have to eat it for St. Pats Day. Here is the Recipe I use. Then just add the cabbage and taters and carrots, and onion and cook until the vegtables are tender after the meat has simmered several hours.

Corned Venison

Get the flavor of a corned beef brisket with your venison roast.

Author: Cabela's Staff

Ingredients

2 to 3-pound brisket, flank, or shoulder roast up to 1 inch thick ( You can use the hindquarter pieces too I do)
2 quarts spring water or distilled water ( I just use tap water but I suppose it depends if you have good tasting water or not)
1/2 cup canning and pickling salt
1/2 cup tenderizing salt (e.g. Morton's Tenderquick®)
3 tablespoons sugar ( I normally add a bit more sugar )
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice ( I add a couple extra dried hot peppers)
2 bay leaves
8 whole black peppercorns
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directions: Roll brisket or flank loosely and tie. Place in large glass or pottery mixing bowl, or in large oven cooking bag. In glass or enamel saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just to boiling. Remove from heat; cool. Pour cooled brine over meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; or, if using oven cooking bag, squeeze to remove air, then twist neck of bag and seal. Refrigerate 4 to 5 days, turning meat occasionally. Drain. Rinse meat with cold water.

To prepare corned meat, place in Dutch oven. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling; drain. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until tender, 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
Note: I just add the spices and cure and salt to the water mix and let the meat sit for a extra day or two. I do not boil it and I never had had a bad batch yet. I suppose it maybe depends on your water if boiling would help maybe???

GOOD STUFF!

waksupi
03-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes Today is St. Paddy's day and Yea I am going to eat some Corned Venison if you have never made it, its good stuff and you do not just have to eat it for St. Pats Day. Here is the Recipe I use. Then just add the cabbage and taters and carrots, and onion and cook until the vegtables are tender after the meat has simmered several hours.

Corned Venison

Get the flavor of a corned beef brisket with your venison roast.

Author: Cabela's Staff

Ingredients

2 to 3-pound brisket, flank, or shoulder roast up to 1 inch thick ( You can use the hindquarter pieces too I do)
2 quarts spring water or distilled water ( I just use tap water but I suppose it depends if you have good tasting water or not)
1/2 cup canning and pickling salt
1/2 cup tenderizing salt (e.g. Morton's Tenderquick®)
3 tablespoons sugar ( I normally add a bit more sugar )
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice ( I add a couple extra dried hot peppers)
2 bay leaves
8 whole black peppercorns
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directions: Roll brisket or flank loosely and tie. Place in large glass or pottery mixing bowl, or in large oven cooking bag. In glass or enamel saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just to boiling. Remove from heat; cool. Pour cooled brine over meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; or, if using oven cooking bag, squeeze to remove air, then twist neck of bag and seal. Refrigerate 4 to 5 days, turning meat occasionally. Drain. Rinse meat with cold water.

To prepare corned meat, place in Dutch oven. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling; drain. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until tender, 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
Note: I just add the spices and cure and salt to the water mix and let the meat sit for a extra day or two. I do not boil it and I never had had a bad batch yet. I suppose it maybe depends on your water if boiling would help maybe???

GOOD STUFF!

Very good. I have used a very similar recipe with elk over th epast years. To make it even better, you can take some of the batch, smoke it, and have elk pastromi!

PatMarlin
03-18-2006, 04:24 AM
I want an Elk!!... :Fire: [smilie=1: :Fire:

jh45gun
03-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Well I pulled this up again to get the recipe as I mislaid my origional copy. Yep about that time of year St. Paddies day 7 days away so starting a batch of corned Venison today it will be ready about the time the 17th comes around. :)

birdhunters
03-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Yep good stuff. I use a similar recipie except I use brown sugar and a tps of chili powder.. Then when its ready to serve grind up some fresh horseradish, boiled potatoes and cabbage or brussel sprouts, both are good.

jh45gun
03-07-2009, 07:38 PM
St Paddies day is coming so I figured I will pull this up again. I just put a several chunks of Venison Hind Quarter in the fridge to soak in the brine.