PDA

View Full Version : Worm bedding filler

Trifocals
06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Has anyone ever tried BUSS WORM BEDDING as a filler? It is I believe, ground up newspaper and is quite light and fluffy.

swheeler
06-28-2009, 12:33 AM
I have not tried worm bedding, coffee grounds, hair balls or recycled pampers and probably won't when I can buy several years supply of dacron for a dollar or two from one of the marts or Ben franklin stores. I do have a bag of PSB buffer I have tried but failed to see any improvement over dacron pillow stuffing and the dacron goes a LOT further. .02

Freightman
06-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Old pillows will get you a lifetime supply of Dacron, my old pillows were pitiful and JCP had a sale king pillows for less than $6 one old pillow will give you a large trash bag full.

sniper
07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
O.K., school me, please!

Dunno what a 1-1 1/4 in. square of toilet paper will weigh, but a 1 in. square of dacron batting, which is about 1/4 inch thick, weighs about 1/2 grain.

If I understand correctly, I get a chopsitck or...whatever, and push the material into the cartridge case, so it contacts the powder, but not compressing it, then seat the bullet, and friction holds everything in place . So far, so good.

But,what happens to the load when the carrtidge is fired? Even light-weight materials have some inertia, and it seems to me that the recoil will make the charge act like a hammer, and if the filler is not firmly in place, it will move.

By the time the 4 or 5 rounds in the magazine are fired, or even with just carrying the rifle, things could be well-mixed. This doesn't seem like a good thing, what with the talk of ringing chambers and all.

I know a lot of shooters use fillers with good results, but no way that little square of filler will completely fill the air space in my 257 Roberts, even using 4895, and surely not with the small loads of Unique and 2400 I use.

The answer is not simply "You feel nervous, don't use it!" Well enough, but I am looking for answers other than "I would use fillers, but I am chicken! :???:

Please help. Thanks.

StarMetal
07-22-2009, 02:42 PM
[quote=sniper;619081]O.K., school me, please!

Okay first off use only the prescribed fillers. To me that is kapok, Dacron, or the poly....I guess COW, but I'm not real keen on that. Although some have done it with success I'd stay away from newspaper, toilet paper, and dryer lint.

Dunno what a 1-1 1/4 in. square of toilet paper will weigh, but a 1 in. square of dacron batting, which is about 1/4 inch thick, weighs about 1/2 grain.

If I understand correctly, I get a chopsitck or...whatever, and push the material into the cartridge case, so it contacts the powder, but not compressing it, then seat the bullet, and friction holds everything in place . So far, so good.
Unless I misunderstood you friction the correct way (and I'll use Dacron as an example) is to put it into the case until it touches the top of the powder and extends up into the neck and seating the bullet very very lightly compresses it....that holds it in place firmly between the powder and the bottom of the bullet.

But,what happens to the load when the carrtidge is fired? Even light-weight materials have some inertia, and it seems to me that the recoil will make the charge act like a hammer, and if the filler is not firmly in place, it will move.
No, that doesn't happen unless you use something like a card wad over top the powder and an airspace between it and the bullet. Also you reduce your charge some when using a filler especially if your charge is at the edge of maxium.

By the time the 4 or 5 rounds in the magazine are fired, or even with just carrying the rifle, things could be well-mixed. This doesn't seem like a good thing, what with the talk of ringing chambers and all.
Not so, BruceB (and me) loaded a clear plastic or glass tube like it were a cartridge and carried it around in his pocket for quite some time and no powder moved. I did almost the same thing. Dacron even seems to stop fine ball powders.

I know a lot of shooters use fillers with good results, but no way that little square of filler will completely fill the air space in my 257 Roberts, even using 4895, and surely not with the small loads of Unique and 2400 I use.
Yes it will, it's very springy. I've done it on all sorts of calibers with success.

The answer is not simply "You feel nervous, don't use it!" Well enough, but I am looking for answers other than "I would use fillers, but I am chicken! :???:
Probably because you aren't aware of all the proper instructions for using them.

Joe

Calamity Jake
07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
You don't need the filler with unique/2400 or anything in that burn speed or faster.
You use just enough darcon to fill the case with a little compression.
When you put the dacron in the case be sure you feel it bottom out against the powder.
I always like to fill the case to the case mouth then when a boolit is seated it compresses it a little.

sniper
07-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Thank you, Jake and Joe. I believe I understand a bit better now. That's the great thing about the fourm. Somebody aways knows!:-D

Something like this, I won't proceed till I understand at least a little beyond the basics, and then vewwy carefully. 8-)