PDA

View Full Version : instead of casting LEAD...

mac0083
06-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Hello everyone! I've been on Firearms Forum for a while, but I think I've found my new home. I've started reading after some of you here, and it seems you're all a bunch of crafty do-it-yourself-'ers.

I have soft copper tubing, melts around 2000 degrees. I'm sure some of you have thought about casting solid copper bullets, but have any of you ever tried casting bullets from scrap copper or aluminum, or would these flow like lead thats been mixed with zinc?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, let me know what you think.

standles
06-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Haven't done as you say but look at the economics of the situation.

Lead cheaper than Copper

Lead denser so more retained energy

Lead melts easily copper at 2000+ degrees takes specialized ($$$) equipment

There is a reason mass production only puts a thin copper or brass jacket on mainstream bullets.

Of course for specialty bullets and such there is some dispersion from that norm.

Steven

JSnover
06-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Yep. That's why the solid copper/brass/bronze bullets are made commercially; Too much of an investment for the rest of us. You could turn them on a lathe but it would have to be CNC to produce them at a reasonable cost.

deltaenterprizes
06-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Bismuth would be more practical except for the negative expansion coefficent, 85% density of lead.

montana_charlie
06-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm waiting for somebody to mention the advantages of aluminum bullets...
CM

Big Tom
06-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Hmm - you can cast 10.000 and can still carry them in one bag into the basement.... and they would have a flatter trajectory assuming the same volume...

[smilie=s:Tom

I'm waiting for somebody to mention the advantages of aluminum bullets...
CM

klcarroll
06-28-2009, 11:13 PM
.... and they would have a flatter trajectory assuming the same volume...

[smilie=s:Tom

Yes, ....But over what distance???

Their sectional density would be very poor, and they would shed velocity like a shotgun wad!:roll:

Hmmmm........,

But on the other hand, ....that might be just the ticket for an indoor defensive load!

Kent

deltaenterprizes
06-28-2009, 11:26 PM
There was a company that made ammunition with aluminum bullets for short range defensive situations like inside an aircraft in the late 80s.

jdgabbard
07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
There was acompany that made ammunition with aluminum bullets for short range defensive situations like inside an aircraft in the late 80s.

I'm sure that idea, like many others was best left in the eighties... :-D

Bret4207
07-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I think what you need for copper bullets is a big press and some dies. A BIG, BIG, BIG press!

Bulletlube
07-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I have cast some bullets with Bismuth & Tin 50/50. Behaves about like linotype, bullets cast in a Lee 44-310 mold weighed 240gr. You have to cut the spru as soon as it cools because it is very hard after it cools.