PDA

View Full Version : Type Metal

odinohi
06-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Will some of you guys check this link and tell me what you think of the quality and price? I'm just about to get started casting for my 1894CL in 32-20 with the Lyman 311008 and need some advice. Thanks you all, Tom

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=3113&forum_id=47&jump_to=21567#p21567

southpaw
06-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I would love to...but I cant find it.
I hope that I didnt miss it, but I just dont see it in your post

Jerry Jr

odinohi
06-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Now the link is there. Sorry about that. Tom

jdgabbard
06-27-2009, 08:38 PM
It would probably be Lino or Monotype...

Monotype has a BHN of 19, while lino has one of 12. Those could change dependant of the specific foundery's alloy...

GLL
06-27-2009, 09:00 PM
jdgabbard:

I think your hardnesses for linotype and monotype are on the low side !

My Linotype is typically close to BHN=20 and the Monotype I have around BHN=28.

Jerry

dromia
06-28-2009, 02:21 AM
It would probably be Lino or Monotype...

Monotype has a BHN of 19, while lino has one of 12. Those could change dependant of the specific foundery's alloy...

As stated previously these are low BHN hardness numbers by my experience, changing the 1's to 2's would make it about right.

hammerhead357
06-28-2009, 02:57 AM
You will want to watch out for the copper content of monotype or foundry type. I have used foundry type alloyed with WW to make lino and have had to freeze the cooper out so that it wouldn't freeze up in the bottom pour spout of the casting pot.
Now I don't have any experince alloying with pure lead so I can't pass on any info about that but just be aware that the copper content can be a problem under certain circumstances....Wes

randyrat
06-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Pictures can't talk all the time so it's a crap game when people melt down Linotype, monotype or Foundry type, we don't know if it was cut with more pure lead or possible someone melted in some high speed babbit (which in not the end of the world).

At BHN levels of 25 or higher it would be Foundry type (big letter blocks) If you can get it for under $1.50/lb(Big letters, foundry type) i would. Foundry type can be cut a lot with softer alloys to make some nice high velocity/pressure rifle bullets
Or it can be used to alloy a bunch of different recipes.

You allways take a chance when you buy stuff that has been melted into ingots. Even in the original form of big letter blocks the original amounts of alloys may very a bunch. I prefer to buy Type blocks,spacers- lyno, mono, foundry in it's original form

randyrat
06-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Here is some aproximations Linotype=4% Sn Tin
12% Sb Antimony
84% Pb Lead

Monotype=9%Sn
19%Sb
72% Pb

Foundry type= 15% Sn
23% Sb
62% Pb
These are all aproximations, depending on where you get your information and if the oringinal form/alloy was getting soft or thinned out at the end of their life.
This stuff was used for printing, when the type started getting rounded the printer would throw it in a pot melt it and maybe/maybe not add some fresh alloy to it. Chance has it, the printer would throw in a few pounds of Sn.

w30wcf
06-28-2009, 09:39 AM
For the .32-20 and the 3118 bullet, w.w. are just about ideal.
Here's some for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/10LBS-WHEEL-WEIGHT-LEAD-INGOTS-SINKERS-or-BULLET-MOLDS_W0QQitemZ110407426999QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item19b4cba3b7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

w30wcf

HeavyMetal
06-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Looked at the link.

He wants $80.00 shipped. Subtract $15.00 for USPS flat rate and you get $65.00 for 55 Lbs of type metal in ingot form.

That works out to just a touch more than $1.18 per Lb. which is a good number for foundry type.

If you have a good hardness tester I would buy this stuff as long as the seller knew I would test in on delivery and return it if it was not as promised!

If this is indeed foundry type it can be used as a sweetner and will make you a lot of real good alloy.

Sadly I had a local guy years ago that tried selling a bunch of people "Type" metal in ingot form. While my buddy and I were trying to decide if we wanted to take a risk on it, the price was good for type metal but way to high for WW, another buyer showed up with one of the first LBT hardness tester's .

Suffice it to say he tried about 4 of the one lb ingots and all had a BHN of 12.

Since then I have preffered my type metal to look like type metal when I buy it!

I can't ever remember seeing type that was filthy. Not saying it isn't out there I just have never seen it. Because of this I have a hard time understanding why someone would waste the time to turn it into ingots? It won't store longer, and it won't take up less room and it won't get any lighter!

So buyer beware and take the precations I mentioned. If he's a stand up guy and the product is what he says it is he should have no problem offering a money back garontee!

southpaw
06-28-2009, 11:36 AM
The reason that I smelted all mine down is that is does take up a lot less room that way ( I have over 400lbs ) and I was surprised at what came out, mostly ash, those little copper/brass strips, wood...

Jerry Jr.

IHMSA
06-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Here is some aproximations Linotype=4% Sn Tin
12% Sb Antimony
84% Pb Lead

Monotype=9%Sn
19%Sb
72% Pb

Foundry type= 15% Sn
23% Sb
62% Pb
These are all aproximations, depending on where you get your information and if the oringinal form/alloy was getting soft or thinned out at the end of their life.
This stuff was used for printing, when the type started getting rounded the printer would throw it in a pot melt it and maybe/maybe not add some fresh alloy to it. Chance has it, the printer would throw in a few pounds of Sn.

I have to agree with randyrat.
If I had to guess :confused: I'd bet it's monotype.
Been a printer for 32 years.

hammerhead357
06-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I had to go check some of my old resorces and I found that in my earlier post I had said that monotype contained copper. I was incorrect. Monotype contains no copper according to my references.
Now foundry type does contain copper. There are three types of foundry type according to my information.
Type one contains 60.5% lead, 13% tin, 25% antimony and 1.5% copper

Type two contains 58.5% lead, 20% tin, 20% antimony and 1.5% copper

Type three contains 61% lead, 12% tin, 25% antimony and 2.o% copper

I used to use this formula to make Lino if I had to. 55% WW to 45% foundry type. I always had to freeze out the copper inorder for it to not freeze up in the bottom pour spout of my casting pots. I hope this helps...Wes