PDA

View Full Version : Melting roof jacks

bushwack
06-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I did a search but couldn't find the answer I needed. A friend of mine can get me a bunch of used lead roof jacks that have tar all over them. When I smelt these down, Will the tar float to the top? Or is there a better way to of separating the tar and the lead? Best type of flux? Any other advice?

Thanks for all your help, Bushwack.

snaggdit
06-26-2009, 06:13 PM
The tar will float/burn off. Since it is carbon based, it will be all the flux you should need!

oldtoolsniper
06-26-2009, 06:38 PM
It’s kind of like burning tires so be mindful of the neighbors

docone31
06-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Phooey!
The roof jacks, I call them roof boots down here, with all the tar, melt just nicely.
The issue I ran into,
The tar will stick to the pot bottom. It acts like an insulator. You have to scrape it off. I also had to melt twice before ingoting. The first melt offs most of the tar came off. There was still crud in the billet.
I melt those outside like I do with wheel weights. There is some smell, but not bad.
However, if you freeze the roof boots, the tar pops right off.
They make real good shiney ingots for casting. There is a little tin on some of them in the joints. Not much, but a little.
I cut my boots in 2 X 2 squares for fast melting. I do it on a standard hot plate with a small cast iron pan from the fleamarket. I got a lot of ingots.
Roofers just toss this stuff.
Well worth it.

DLCTEX
06-27-2009, 08:32 AM
+1 on freezing the roof jacks. Bend the frozen lead and the tar pops off. I usually just melt them unless the tar is really thick.

leadeye
06-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Going to have to try out the freezing method, I had never thought of that. One of the great things about this board is the range of ideas you find here.:-D

masscaster
06-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Yep freezing works really well on tar/shingle removal.
If they're still bad with asphalt only do 6-8 boots at a time, once the fire is out stir & scrape your pot with lead in it good, then add more, 6-8 again, repeat to desired level of lead.
Although tedious, it'll save remelting, crudding your smelter, and give nice clean, soft lead bars.
It's also important to melt at a the coolest temperature possible with boots and flashings to ensure the impurities float after the burning off of the asphalt.

theperfessor
06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
I melted 1200 lbs of roof sheathing last year. If you keep some molten lead in the bottom of the pot you won't get tar to stick on the bottom. It does stick on the sides, but that's a lot easier to remove during fluxing/cleaning.