PDA

View Full Version : taurus 357

jballs918
03-17-2006, 02:58 AM
hey guys i was wondering if any of you guy have one of these. im looking for a ccw, las vegas is getting way to nuts here lately. what im looking for a gun that i can ccw most likely with jacketed factory ammo. the 357 mag. but also i want to be able to take it to the range and run cast through it to have fun with it. i want a gun that i can use alot and that i can carry with no worries. i have looked at other gun makers and s&w looks nice but they about 200 to 250 dollars more. now is there that big of a differance. i have read alot about the taurus and poeple seem to either love them or hate them. i was wondering what you all think, especaily on the cast end.

jason

Boondocker
03-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Jballs

I have a 669cp that must be 12 yrs old that I bought new. I must have atleast 3000 rounds thru it mostly cast and never a hiccup. Great accruacy tho the son inlaw shoots it better than me. I would' nt hesitate buying another. Boon:castmine:

Bret4207
03-17-2006, 09:24 AM
If you shop around I imagine you can find a S+W for $200-$300.00. It'll be used, but they're out there. Hit the gun shop and pawn shops. Nothing wrong with Taurus, Charter, H+R, High Standard and a bunch of other "economy" revolvers. Just don't have the fit and finish of a S+W or Colt. I'd lean towards the S+W over the Colt, but that's just me. There should be scads of K frame 38 and 357's pretty much anywhere you go. A Ruger Security Six may also be found for less than a S+W and they are just as much gun as any run of the mill Smith you'll find.

David R
03-17-2006, 08:50 PM
I have been shopping for a used 38 around here. A really nice K frame with adjustable sights and nice grips goes for $299.00. A fixed sight version goes for around $229.00. A frankenstien version goes from $79.00 to $159.00

I think I found a nice police colt with a 5" barrel and fixed sights for $169.00. This beats the heck out of a tarus to me.

David

454PB
03-18-2006, 01:17 AM
I have an older Taurus model 66 that I bought new about 15 years ago. It has been a good gun, handles cast boolits just fine, and is accurate. I paid $200 for it new.

That being said, I think A better gun for CCW would be a used Ruger SP 101 or even a short barreled Security Six. I'm just a Ruger junky!

Scrounger
03-18-2006, 01:35 AM
The Ruger SP101 is near perfect for CCW. Here's my 3" model, alomg with some other good choices, a Makarov and a small Armscor .45 ACP with a 3" barrel, a Colt copy:

versifier
03-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Go with a used S&W, Ruger, or Colt. There are, as mentioned, lots of them out there and at very reasonable prices, all of them better made than the brand in question. Don't worry, guys, I'm not getting out the soapbox again, much, except to say that the end of the bull that they come from makes for better gardens (after composting) than guns, but that is my opinion, albeit one arrived at by seeing so many of them self-destruct over the years, but Jason can look up my previous posts on the matter at his convenience. I consider them to be well finished toys for play at the range - but my life or those of my loved ones will never depend upon one.

BOOM BOOM
03-18-2006, 10:47 PM
HI,
BOOM BOOM'S RULES OF GUN BUYING
Rule #1 If your life is going to depend on a gun, buy the best, most reliable one you can afford. How much is your Life worth?
Rule#2 Use the largest cal. you can shoot accuratly. If you can't hit what your aiming at its usless.
Rule #3 PRACTICE!
That said I'd go with a Ruger, S&W, or a Colt.
Had a H&R and an Armineus (sp ?) & sold them.
Shot colts a bit. Liked the S&W & Ruger better , kept them.

mag_01
03-18-2006, 11:41 PM
:coffee: Jaballs---I have a PT99 satin finish I bougt many yrs. ago---16 shot---I love the gun---Taurus also has a lifetime garantee-----after about 4000 rds. thru it the lock up broke and I had a shoot that weekend---called Taurus Via there 800 # and part was in my mail box the next morning----no charge --- good company--also this 9mm shoots lead well---that said--- get what pleases you be it a smith or colt or turus----I have a colt python in 357----sweet gun right out of the box a might bit expensive --- but a pleaser to shoot--4in.-Mag :castmine:

Crash_Corrigan
03-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Jason: I have a Taurus Model 85 ultralight 5 shooter in stainless steel with a alum frame. It is light. It is accurate. I had the hammer spur ground off and I carry it on my CCW all the time. I love it. It is accurate and I have hit a 12 inch gong from the sandbags 5 out of 5 at 40 yards with my cast bullets. I carry 3 Corbon Glaser safety slugs (Silver #6 shot) in the first 3 cylinders and Remington Golden Saber 125 Brass HP in the remaining two. I put my life on the line with this one and I have been shooting Smiths since 1964. This one is a keeper and you might like a Taurus. PM me and you can try mine out at the range with me as I also live in Vegas.

lefty_red
03-25-2006, 01:15 PM
I bleieve on the spirit of what BOOM BOOM says. Buy the best you can. But sometimes the best isn't the most $$.

I had an M85 back before they reworked the innereds and rated it for +p. I completely destoyed that thing in about four years of steady +p loads. I have popped squirrels out of trees with the thing and hit a body target out to 100 yards!

I have a SP101 from Ruger and a M605 from Taurus. I actually like the M605 more cause I have a Forbus paddle holster for it. I picked up the SP101 first cause the $$ differance was only $50. Then got the M605 used from a buddy. THe SP is more comforable shooting the 357s, but its also bigger and has the longer barrel. The M605 shots a larger range of bullets better.

Also have a 82 with a 3" barrel. Is my wife's minivan weapon.

JERRY

mooman76
03-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Jason,

How much are you looking to spend and are you wanting a revolver or is that an assumption?

ebner glocken
03-26-2006, 12:07 PM
I have a pt-92 and the lockup broke in it after around 5k rounds. Excellent pistol shoots lead and jacket stuff well. After 20k rounds I can still count all the jams on my fingers and toes and still have some left over. btw the lockup broke after loading way over book for those first 5000 rounds, I don't do that anymore and that second lock is still being used.

9.3X62AL
03-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Jason--

Recalling your comments about the Taurus 357 Magnum available for $250, 100 round history......probably a decent buy, but I have very little experience with Taurus firearms. I did see A LOT of K- and L-frame S&W 357 Magnums at the Reno Gun Show for $275-$350, and I think such a purchase would be a more certain purchase of quality--assuming good condition/moderate service/good care.

Many of the older M-19's and M-66's saw mostly 38 Special shooting, and remain in very good shape for this reason. These older K-frames aren't at their best with full-house 1935-vintage loadings (158's @ 1450 FPS), but the W-W 158 HPs we used at my old agency were a good match--1250 FPS in 4" barrels. A 19/66 would last forever shooting that sort of load. The more recent examples have upgraded metallurgy to withstand extensive Magnum loadings, but if LOTS of Magnum shooting is in the cards--get an L-frame (Models 586 or 686). These and the Colt Python are possibly the best D/A 357 Magnum ever produced in terms of serviceability, accuracy, and recoil management. If CCW is a primary use, the previously-mentioned Ruger SP-101 is SUPERB.

Swagerman
03-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Thutyeights, .357 magnums, what you need is a taurus .45 Colt for stopping a bad guy.

Case in point, John Wesley Hardin was shot by John Selman (back shooter) which was the smart thing to do at the time, his gun was the ancient .45 Colt with black powder loads yet. Bullet went through the back of Hardins head and exited under his left eye out front.

Hardin also got one through his breast nipple as well.

Don't tell me we need a .357 to put someone down.

Attachment is Taurus Tracker in .45 Colt, 5-shot and easy to pack on your body.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P6190010brightendup.jpg

As a foot note:

I believe these Taurus trackers from .357 to .45 Colt are built on the equivlent of an L-frame size revolver.

Jim

lefty_red
03-26-2006, 05:10 PM
The OLNY thing I don't like about the TRACKER series from Taurus is the ported barrel.

Jerry

MT Gianni
03-26-2006, 08:50 PM
I had to have my K-38 rebuilt [new hand and fit] and it had only seen bullseye loads for ppc. The idea was too much rapid double action can wear the hand and pawl as surely as high psi loads wear other places. Gianni.