PDA

View Full Version : paper patch bullet request

littlejack
06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Howdy fella's:
Ive been wanting to try a GOOD paper patch bullet in my Uberti Hiwall. It is chambered for the great 45-70 cartridge in a 1-20" twist. I did try casting some Lyman 457132 bullets and sizing them to .452 and patching them but that didn't work out so well.
I will slug my bore and post the dimensions if I get a response.
Questions: Will someone here who patches a GOOD swaged bullet that would work in my rifle be willing to sell me some of their bullets to try?
What would be the best outlet for swaged pp'd bullets to buy from, if any?
Would a Rockchucker press be strong enough to swage the lead bullets mentioned and last or would swaging break it down eventually?
Thanks fell's
Jack

calaloo
06-27-2009, 07:51 AM
I might be persuaded to swage a few slugs for you. How many do you need?

littlejack
06-27-2009, 01:39 PM
calaloo:
Thanks for the reply. A 25 count would probably let me know if they were going to fly straight. What do you think?
Jack

1874Sharps
06-27-2009, 02:10 PM
If you search ebay with the keywords of "paper patch bullet mold" you will see a custom mold made by Lee Precision that has worked quite well for me with both black powder (which is what I use) and smokeless. It is 520 grains and casts at ) 0.440" to 0.446". This gives it a 0.006" taper and it patches up 0.008" with 9 lb. onion skin 100% cotton paper. The generous taper seems to help out accuracy quite a bit. When seated in the case mouth to maximum length (so that just a little thumb pressure is needed to chamber it), it works quite well. Plus, if you are shooting black powder, you can load a full 70 grain charge in it, as it only sticks in the mouth of the case about 1/4". My wife and I are going to contract a local machine shop to make a special bullet mold to cast this bullet, as it works as well as any of the classic Lyman bullets (such as the 457125), or better, out of my Sharps!