PDA

View Full Version : List of things needed to cast

Lead Fred
06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Good day Folks,

I have cast roundball for years. So I have everything I need to this.

Being the new owner of a Marlin 30-30, Im thinking Id like to cast up some 150 flat nose, just for the fun of it.

I know I need a mold, Midway has them. Also need a sizing tool, and one of Pat Marlins cool gas check making dies.

Anything else I might be missing before I start this and find out Im missing a piece of the puzzle?

Also where in this fountain of information can I find the alloy content for BHN numbers? Id like to get the 18-22 bhn so as to not lead my new barrel.

Lastly, I have more wheel weights than any one person should have access to. (My pal owns a wrecking yard). Its way to hard for round ball, but can it be used for centerfire castings?

thanks for putting up with yet another old newbe. Sorry If I got any of the jaron incorrect.

mdi
06-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Check out Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook, one of the best. I use mostly straight WW plus a little tin (19 - 20 lbs WW, 1/2 lb. lead free solder). I cast and load mostly for my .44s. Ideal/Lyman 429244, Ranch Dog 265 gr., and Ideal/Lyman 429421. What is as important as bullet hardness is proper sizing. Slug your barrel and size .001" - .002" over bore size. I get no leading in my Super Blackhawk or Dan Wesson.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, associated sicnesses and members who are always willing to help you. +1 on advice already given to read some things before making decisions on what to buy. Don't jump on the first gear that you come across or hear about until you check out the pros and cons. Ask a lot of questions here on the forum as you will get a lot of imput on all aspects of the hobby/game, but do so before you do any spending. For example there are many things to consider in the world of molds and how to get the lead into those molds. Powder is an important factor as well as how to measure it and dispense it. Then there is the matterof sizing; machines to size and lube and hand methods that are also good. A very good system of making gas checks made by a gentleman named Codarnell is also on the market. Do searches on this forum for info on all this stuff. Getting Knowledge is power and enables you to make wise(r) choices. The BHN numbers you mention are high and hard. Linotype is around 22, but you can get pretty near to it by water quenching your WW casts. Don't worry about the jargon; if someone doesn't understand something you write they will ask you what you mean or correct it while giving you any info. Go to the bottom of the page and punch up casting stuff and browse thru "CastPics" as well. It'll all get arranged in time and with some patience you'll succeed just like many of us have done. LLS

armyrat1970
06-27-2009, 07:20 AM
I agree with the above replies. Especially getting the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. A must for any caster. Also the Lee Modern Reloading Second Edition. Both give great info on casting and load data for cast boolits.
Just for a quick reference:
Linotype BHN-22
#2 Alloy BHN-15 (Though this is old #2 Lyman Alloy. The mixture has changed a little with the newer #2 Alloy and I believe is more like 16)
10-1 lead, tin BHN-11.5
WWS BHN-9
Pure Lead BHN-5
Want to make your own #2 Alloy?:
9lbs. WWS, 1lb. 50/50 bar solder should make 10lbs. #2
4lbs. Linotype
1lb 50/50 bar solder
5 pounds pure lead should make 10lbs. #2
You can water drop or heat treat the boolits from either of these alloys for additional hardness. I don't know why you need anything as hard a 22 BHN?
Also check out this site:
http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm
After you read that page go to the home page and find all the other great info that is there.

Bret4207
06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Welcome aboard. First off- you do NOT need to use "hard lead alloys" to avoid leading- period! You can take the 30-30 to factory level with plain old WW with a GC mould. FIT is what's important. (Mini rant time- NOOBIES- forget the HARD LEAD idea! It's advertising hype!) I suggest you search here for any information regarding cast in microgroove barrels. You'll find size is far more important than Bhn. If your rifle does seem to want a little higher Bhn than what your particular WW gives you can water quench them and add 5-6 Bhn points easily.

You may not need to size at all! Marlins with MG barrels reportedly like fat boolits, they may fall from the mould just right and an application of Mule Snot (Lee's Liquid Alox), Johnsons Paste wax or any of a number of other lubes may do fine. You'll have to try it and see.

If I were you I'd get my mould, cast the nicest looking boolits I could, apply GC and lube, CLEAN MY BARREL REALLY WELL, and use 8-10 gr Unique in front of a standard primer and head to the range. Your gun will tell you the rest.

Lead Fred
06-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Ive got a Lee 150gr 30-FN mould and sizer inbound.

WW and the quench sounds good to me.

Ill have to find a recipe to make the lube here abouts

Books on order!

then fish around for some powder load data.

Is slow or fast powder better? I use mainly IMRs & Ball-C

thanks for your time!

lifeon2
07-01-2009, 07:30 AM
be sure to slug your bore and keep your boolits .001 to .003 over that size

Echo
07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
+1 for the above - but don't get anal about BHN and hard boolits. As long as the boolit is .001-.003 larger than the groove diameter, WW's won't lead your bbl unless you push too hard. Pushing harder requires GC's, and maybe harder alloy.
But - accuracy FIRST!

MtGun44
07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I would not rush out and buy a gas check maker unless you are just looking for another
gadget to learn about. Start with factory checks and if you are using enough to be
financially bothersome, or want another challenge after getting things working well with
factory checks, jump right in and have a ball.

I'm just trying to keep the process a bit more managable at first. You can get too many
variables going at once, too many unknowns can be pretty frustrating if you aren't
getting good results.

+1 on everything Bret said. You should slug the bbl to get an idea what size boolit you
will need.

Bill

WHITETAIL
07-12-2009, 08:07 PM
:holysheepLead Fred, As said.
Do not get hung up on HARD LEAD!
And listen to the Boys and Girls.
They have more knowledg in their
little finger than I have from years
of making boolets.