PDA

View Full Version : Bair Dies?

DanM
06-25-2009, 04:04 PM
I won an GB auction for a used set of Bair brand dies in 8x57. They soon arrived in good shape in a cool looking grizzly lidded box. Unfortunatly, they would not size my cases enough to chamber in my M48 Yugo. The sizer would not touch the sholder, not even close. I had traded for a bunch of 1x cases, but they would not chamber after sizing in the Bair die. I figure that this sizer die had seen a lot of use on 30-06 cases, and was partly worn out. To make the sizer work, I had to cut about .1" off the base and rechamfer the mouth so my cases would resize enough to chamber in the M48. Works fine now, but the bolt just would not close on FL sized cases before the operation. I assume that my problem was two fold. Worn sizer die, and perhaps a tighter than normal chamber on the M48. I would not have taken a chance on used dies from an unknown (to me) mfgr, but my usual suppliers were out of stock on 8mm sets. Will be collet neck sizing whenever possible from now on. Anyone else ever used Bair dies?

jhrosier
06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
....To make the sizer work, I had to cut about .1" off the base...... Anyone else ever used Bair dies?
Dan,

.100" sounds like an awful lot to remove.
Did you mean .010" ?

I have quite a few sets of Bair dies that I bought new, way back when.
I have not had any problems with them.

Jack

DanM
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
It was a lot of cutting. Cut and try, cut and try.....
Finally got enough worn off, then had to chamfer the burrs. Did not measure, but it was way more than .01".

DLCTEX
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Sounds as if it was a neck size die, I have a Bair set like it in .222. The die isn't marked neck size, but the label on the box is.

shotman
06-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Bair did a lot of neck dies They didnt mark them, Pacific bought them out and they done the same thing necks not marked. Hornady did mark them after they bought out bair/pacfic