PDA

View Full Version : Rolling PP

RMulhern
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/b7FzCXLNKZ-Xk7MhycpGxA?authkey=Gv1sRgCJnk1r26467WTg&feat=directlink

And this is what they'll do from LR:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/th_18ecae75.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/?action=view&current=18ecae75.jpg)

Guys...I'm going slow here because I didn't want to knock the camera over! I can patch up about 75 of these in 45 minutes if no disturbance! I dry these on a warming plate after wet patching. I had a better video but I can't get it to Upload from Picasa!!:???::confused:

docone31
06-24-2009, 05:40 PM
A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.
It looks like those hands have done that before.
Well done.

RMulhern
06-24-2009, 06:21 PM
And here...is where I test them:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/th_e5012bad.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/?action=view&current=e5012bad.jpg)

Oh...I took this with a 17X lens!

bcp477
06-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Nice. Funny how we all are different about certain things. I started out my PPing using a patching board very similar to yours. However, I've now found it works better (for me) if I simply roll the patches on in my fingers, not down on any patching board or other horizontal surface. I even tried a cigarette rolling machine, like some here use. I didn't do well with that at all. The "hand method" seems to beat both, at least for ME (though it did take a bit of getting used to). I can't remember exactly why I tried rolling the patches OFF the board in the first place....but I always had trouble with the patch slipping as I rolled the bullet into it (when I used the board) - so that is probably the reason.

Anyway, to each his own. In this, as with most things in life, there is no one absolute "correct" way to do it - plenty of room for individualization (which is, in my view, a great thing).

docone31
06-24-2009, 07:20 PM
And I use a roller.
It is a natural for me.
This thread should become a sticky so Rappas to be can see how it can be done.
This gives folks several ways to succeed.
Great video.
Oh yeah, I still have the picture as a screen saver. It is inspiring.

303Guy
06-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Did someone mention the quality of the prime casting?[smilie=1:

pdawg_shooter
06-25-2009, 08:11 AM
I still use a rolling block, but mine is made out of 1/2" thick rubber.

45 2.1
06-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Good video and Thanks for putting it up! I roll mine on a drafting table with a resilient vinyl surface. I use the T-square and draw a pencil line where the nose ends and where the top of the patch goes on the boolit, both of which are at 90 degrees to the T-square. I place the moistened patch on the right line with the tapered end a little over the edge of the T-square, then align the boolit nose with the left line. Doing this squares the patch to the boolit. Start the tapered end on the boolit and roll with my index finger to the end in one motion. I get a even end and a tight smooth patch that way. I twist the end evenly and place the patched boolit nose first into a drying block I made until the body of the patch is relatively dry and the twisted tail is still damp. I trim the tail as close to the body as I can with some thin bladed scissors, palce the base on the vinyl surface of the drawing board and give it a light twist in the direction of the tail twist to tighten and flatten it, then place it back in the block to dry all the way. If i'm lucky, I get about one patched boolit a minute, but most of the time its a little more than that.

snaggdit
06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for posting! I had heard about paper patching many times but hadn't seen how it is done. I should say "Thanks for posting" sarcastically, since now I have something new I'll have to try...:roll:

montana_charlie
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I started out rolling wet patches.

I found a supply (two reams) of paper that sounded like what I needed, so I bought it.
Then I got a mould that makes bullets of (about) the size I think I want.

I ran into several problems that I didn't expect, but I won't bring them all up here.
One of those problems was...the paper wasn't as thick as I wanted.

I discovered yesterday that I can roll on a dry patch almost as easily as a wet one...and the paper doesn't stretch. It goes on just as 'tight' as my wet ones. I can tell that by how tough it is to slip a patch off of a bullet, when comparing a 'dry patch' with a dried 'wet patch'.

Putting it on dry means it doesn't stretch...so it doesn't get thinner.

Some 'good shooters roll wet...and some 'good shooters' roll dry. My experience seems to prove that either method is usable. The deciding factor (for you) is which type fits your gun best.

I'm going to stick with 'dry' for a while to see how they shoot.
I had pretty poor results from the 'wet ones'...

CM

303Guy
06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
... I should say "Thanks for posting" sarcastically, since now I have something new I'll have to try...:roll:
Hee hee!:mrgreen: I'm still still playing around with the actual rolling. The first times I couldn't do it! I kept dropping the bits, tearing the paper and so on. But it quickly became easy - I even got to rolling on wet cig paper! (Those didn't shoot well at all!) but without a doubt, there will be a boolit that will perform as expected!:Fire:

Beekeeper
06-26-2009, 09:41 PM
FPMIII, What paper do you use?
It looked like common printer paper!

beekeeper

RMulhern
06-26-2009, 11:23 PM
FPMIII, What paper do you use?
It looked like common printer paper!

beekeeper

Beekeeper

25% cotton 9# tracing paper I use from Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint, Idaho! Very strong and does not tear or cause problems!:drinks::mrgreen:

captain-03
06-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Very informative post!! Always wondered how this was done!!