PDA

View Full Version : .38 Special WC with RedDot & GreenDot?

xtimberman
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I have Lyman #35891 bevel-base wadcutter mould and a generous supply of RedDot and GreenDot.

Do any of you have a super-accurate "magic" load with either of these powders for this mould or any of the other similar WC designs? I have plenty of published data, but was looking for someone with personal experience using RedDot (Promo) or GreenDot.

Thanks,
xtm

Bodydoc447
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I have used 2.8 gr of Promo with Remington bulk packs of .358 148 grain HBWC with good success for quite a while. I have not used the mold you listed so your mileage may vary somewhat. But it is a good place to start. Who was it that said getting there is half the fun? Hope the information is useful.

Doc

longhorn47
06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
2.8 of red will do great with the WC but the best I have found is bullseye 2.8 good luck and have some fun Pat from Kalifornia

Ben
06-24-2009, 12:32 PM
You'll get good accuracy out of Red Dot, only complaint about Red Dot that I've ever heard is that some powder measures don't through it consistently because it is " bulky " and flaky. Some experience a good bit of variation , charge to charge in their powder measures when using red dot ( and most all of the other " Dots ") .

You may want to check and see about the consistency of your particular powder measure with Red Dot ? ?

Ben

Le Loup Solitaire
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
The following loads will work very well with 38's and Wadcutters; They are target loads and have been very accurate for me out of S&W K-38's/M14's
2.8 grains of Red Dot
2.9 grains of Green Dot

Other WC loadings with the same powders, but somewhat faster... for longer ranges are;

3.3 grains Red Dot
3.4 grains Green dot
These loadings may have to be adjusted up or down by .1 or .2 to accomodate the
gun/barrel length. Lyman 35891 is pretty close to the H&G # 50 which is what I've been using. LLS

Trey45
06-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I sometimes use 3.0 to 3.5 grains of Red Dot in a .357 magnum case under a 148gr H&G#50 wadcutter. Sometimes I load 3.0 gr, other times 3,5 grains, not much difference at all in accuracy. I only lube the bottom 2 grooves, I was only lubing the bottom groove but found the bottom 2 gave me better performance, and absolutely NO leading using either speed green or lars 2500+ lubes.

ddeaton
06-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I have used 2.8 gr of Promo with Remington bulk packs of .358 148 grain HBWC with good success for quite a while. I have not used the mold you listed so your mileage may vary somewhat. But it is a good place to start. Who was it that said getting there is half the fun? Hope the information is useful.

Doc

Not to change the topic, but I just came across 2 of these bulk Rem boxes and bought them. What is the scoop on these? I am loading some up with 2.8 grs Bullseye in 38 special cases.

xtimberman
06-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Thank you for the replies!

xtm

Bodydoc447
06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Not to change the topic, but I just came across 2 of these bulk Rem boxes and bought them. What is the scoop on these? I am loading some up with 2.8 grs Bullseye in 38 special cases.

I bought them from Grafs and use them for making holes in targets. They are pleasant and accurate out of anything I shot them from. A very nice practice load. I am not much of a bullseye (the target shooting discipline) shooter but I gather that Bullseye (the powder) is their gold standard. I just happen to have found a good deal on Red Dot and bought a bunch. Shoots great in many target loads from .32 to .45. Many also use "the load" with Red Dot in rifle. Anyway, the Rem bulk HBWC are soft and don't lead at mild velocities but I wouldn't push them much.

Hardcast416taylor
06-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Red Dot was what I shot my 148 gr Lyman WC`s with for more years than I want to remember. I used a 3.0 gr. load for indoor range shooting and a 3.5 gr. load for outdoors range work. I was also using Red Dot as a 12 gauge skeet load so I was using the powder by the 8 lb. can. Robert