PDA

View Full Version : Mid Range Sight

HEAD0001
06-23-2009, 06:04 PM
I am in the market for a mid range tang sight for a Browning Low Wall(45 Colt). The rifle came with a Marble's sight. And I do not like the sight. I would like to shoot this rifle at 200 and even 300 yards(boulder chunking), and the Marlble's does not lend itself to easy adjustment, and my eyes can not see the adjustment on the Marble's sight. Can anyone suggest a sight they feel might work?? Thanks, Tom.

Doc Highwall
06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Check Buffalo Arms for one. I bought several for my lowwalls. The one I bought is made in the Ukrainian and work's great.

HEAD0001
06-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Did you buy the one with windage adjustment?? Do you think the windage adjustment is necessary for mid range shooting?? Tom.

Boz330
06-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Did you buy the one with windage adjustment?? Do you think the windage adjustment is necessary for mid range shooting?? Tom.

They all have a windage adjustments of sorts but not very accurate. The Soule works best for small adjustments and IMHO worth the extra couple bucks.

Bob

montana_charlie
06-24-2009, 12:08 PM
The Soule works best for small adjustments and IMHO worth the extra couple bucks.
Do you mean 'small' adjustments or 'fine' adjustments?
The typical Soule sight is capable of 22 MOA of change in both directions...for a total of 44 mnutes. That ain't 'small'.

It is also more than enough adjustment for typical hunting distances.

The sights which are 'limited' are those where you loosen the eyepiece and slide the aperture left and right to get a windage setting.
Any staff-type tang sight with a knob for adjusting windage will be 'fine' enough for precise settings, and will have enough adjustment range for most hunting conditions.
CM

Boz330
06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
I meant small increments, or fine if you like. The loosen the eye cup and slide it will work for hunting but the scale leaves a lot to be desired as far as seeing it and making accurate adjustments on the go or in a match.
For hunting the midrange Soule or vernier sight is a little overkill and delicate. I use a Marbles style and just mark a zero spot on the adjustment barrel and see how many rotations it takes for each 50 yrd increment. Put that on a cheat sheet taped to the stock and I'm good to go. I don't even attempt shots beyond 150 yrds though. Not that I can't make them, just won't take the chance. I only hunt with BPCR BTW so the trajectories are rainbo like.

Bob

Doc Highwall
06-24-2009, 07:29 PM
The soule is the only way to go, you will thank yourself many times over using it on the range. Here is one of my brother in laws shooting my Winchester in 22lr, the front sight is one of the ones that Browning used on their BPCR.

HEAD0001
06-25-2009, 12:48 AM
I am looking pretty close at the Lee Shaver Economy model. What do you guys think of that sight?? I will be using it mainly for chunking rocks out to 300 yards, and deer hunting out to 200 yards. Tom.

NickSS
06-25-2009, 05:36 AM
I have owned a lee shaver economy sight and it was surprisingly good. It worked for me clean out to 800 Yards on the 45-70 RB I had it on. It is well worth the price in my opinion. I have several 45 colt rifles and like them a lot but personally unless you are shooting a 300 gr bullet I would not trust it as a deer killer at 200 yards even with shout smokeless loads. This is mostly due to rainbow trajectory and slowing of the bullet. For target shooting you may be ok out to 300 yards if you have a good load. I do not have a single shot rifle in 45 colt but my lever actions average around 4 inch groups at 100 yards with the best loads that I have found for my Marlin. I shoot groups half that size with my 45-70 most of the time

6.5 mike
06-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Has anyone tried using a hadley eyecup on a marbles tang?

marlinman93
07-03-2009, 12:16 AM
I've got a couple Lee Shaver Soule tang sights and they're good enough to compete with. A lot of guys use them for BPCR and hold their own.

hiram
07-03-2009, 12:16 PM
check out:

http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?panel=1&categoryid=67