PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Super Redhawk 454

bedwards
06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
ok, did a search and came up with 0. What do you guys recommend to scope a SRH 454 without spending a fortune. I don't even have an idea what power I need for a hand gun.

thanks guys
be

44man
06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
ok, did a search and came up with 0. What do you guys recommend to scope a SRH 454 without spending a fortune. I don't even have an idea what power I need for a hand gun.

thanks guys
be
No more then 2X if shooting off hand or hunting. For a benched gun any variable that will take the recoil will work and believe me, some will break.
Even 2X is a handful off hand and will drive you nuts. Then the problem of seeing the cross hairs or a deer in the early morning or in the evening dim light through a black hole will make you quit hunting before or after legal time.
Go to Ultra Dot West and buy a 30mm Ultra Dot for the best but you will need 30mm Ruger rings. They have the 25mm that will fit the rings that came with the gun. Price is right! Lifetime warranty.
Look at my avitar, Ultra Dots.

Blackhawk
06-23-2009, 12:46 PM
You could pick up a used Leupold M8-2x for $125-$175. That's what I've always had on my 454's.

bobthenailer
06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
i also think a red dot is better than a 2x scope , i can shoot off hand better with a red dot than a scope . bob

mike in co
06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
i think a cross hair is best for load development, but dots are great once the gun is hand held.

i have a luepold 2x and an aimpoint dot for my srh in 44 mag.

mike in co

( think about this: when using a cross hair your brain says go left /right and up/down..... with a dot your brain just says put it on the target......not broken up in two tasks)