PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for case sizing lube

David R
03-15-2006, 10:35 PM
I have been buying one shot, then went to RCBS spray case lube. Stuff is expensive since I got a Dillon. Is there anything I can use that is more economical? I load a lot of rifle and need a good cheap spray sizing lube.

Thanks
David

felix
03-15-2006, 10:43 PM
David, try making your own lube. Mineral spirits plus Lee, for example. Make a quart or so, just thick enough to size the cases. Then, rinse the cases in pure mineral spirits after the sizing operation. Unfortunately, this makes a two pass operation through the Dillon mandatory. ... felix

StarMetal
03-15-2006, 10:53 PM
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing

Dale53
03-16-2006, 01:42 AM
The absolute best way I have found to lube cases in large quantity is to dilute Lee Sizing lube about 10/1 and dip cases in the diluted lube. I use a french fryer basket to drop the cases into the lubricant, then pull the basket out and let it drain over the container while I shake it a bit. Then I spread the cases out on newspaper to dry overnight. You can do hundreds in just a few minutes. Make sure that they are dry inside before you use them, of course. The cases size quite easily and you will notice the singular lack of "drag" as you remove the case from the expander. Works extremely well and there is no problem with the wax inside the case. No need to try to remove it. It is just an inert film. I keep my wax solution in an ammo can and you can use and reuse. I just keep the level up by adding 10/1 solution when needed.

This tip came from Ed Harris and is a BIG time saver when doing hundreds of rifle cases (.308's and .223 for me). It is also relatively inexpensive and the sizing goes SO-O-O much easier. No more pulled necks, etc.

Dale53

utk
03-16-2006, 06:17 AM
I use a pump sprayer with one tube of LEE case sizing lubricant plus four tubes of alcohol. Shake well and spray. After some time the lube settles on the bottom of the bottle but just shake it up before use.

Urban

zuke
03-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Dale53 what do you dilute it with?

Dale53
03-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Duh-h-h-h!! Would have been nice if I had mentioned what I diluted the case lube with, huh? Water! The Lee lube is water soluble and I am VERY impressed with the efficiency of the mix. You may have to adjust the mix to fit your own notions. 10/1 worked fine for me.

Dale53

utk
03-16-2006, 12:15 PM
I used alcohol (ethanol) because it evaporates quickly so I can start reloading a short time after spraying.

If 1:4 is "too strong" or not, I really don't know. But if it works with 1:10, as Dale53 did, so much the better...

Urban

nelson133
03-16-2006, 02:21 PM
The local Ace Hardware had that cable lube fot $6.00 a quart. It's a lot like the Lee sizing lube. Surplusrifles.com has a good article testing that stuff.

David R
03-16-2006, 11:05 PM
I have been going through a bottle of RCBS every few weeks. Getting expensive. I will try the cable lube stuff. Sounds like a good thing. I think I will go with the alcohol to dilute it so it dries quicker.

Star, I bookmarked that page.

What a bunch of good guys

Thanks
David

waksupi
03-17-2006, 12:10 AM
I put my finger over the top of a can of Ballistol, tip it up, and rub it around on my finger tips. I can lube quite a few cases this way, before needing to refresh it.

NVcurmudgeon
03-17-2006, 11:17 PM
I've been using the same pint of STP for about 20 years and still have most of it left. It looks like, feels like, smells like, tastes like, and runs like RCBS.

buck1
03-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Good thread!! ....Buck1

Tonto
03-18-2006, 03:58 AM
I have been dumping clean cases in a plastic bag and spraying a quick burst of Midway Minute Lube then shaking for a few moments, within a minute or so, each case is coated evenly including case neck insides.....the small or large bags are cheap, and the sizing energy used is minimal afterwards, then the bag gets tossed...One can of lube is on year five after thousands of rounds, literally a two second spray will give enough to size 100-308 cases...key is to let the mix sit for a minute or two after shaking for even distribution around the entire case....tumble clean again when finished sizing

utk
03-18-2006, 04:50 AM
I've been using the same pint of STP for about 20 years and still have most of it left. It looks like, feels like, smells like, tastes like, and runs like RCBS.

I have read in several places that RCBS CASELUBE IS STP. Their current RCBS CASELUBE-2 is something different, and is water soluble.

A friend of mine uses a liquid soap as case lube. The text on the bottle says "saponified pine oil". Here in Sweden the name is Grumme Tvättsåpa (washing soap), probably you have something similar in the US.
He uses it for FL resizing 30-06 fired from his own gun. Residue is wiped off with a water dampened cloth.

Urban

Four Fingers of Death
03-19-2006, 08:32 AM
I have been using Lee for years diluted with water and spread on with my fingers. I must try spraying it on. The thing I like about the Lee is that when it dries it is invisible and doesn't seem to need cleaning up.

I have used one shot (and have some downstairs) and RCBS (mice love those plastic tubes and lick them dry. They have never been attracted to any other lube in tubes). I used to use Redding and had an excellent tong type tool with wool or similar material pads. Greta set up for hand lubing, but it disappeared several years ago? I think I had a visitor who used to pinch stuff off my bench (it is always a mess) as I've lost a lot of stuff like that, not for a few years though.

MT Gianni
03-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Mick, I may be wrong but have noticed corrosion on my cases after having been carried in a damp or wet environment that I attributed to lee's case lube. Factory ammo cases were not corroded. This was in a backpac while it was snowing. It was just some small green tarnishing but has happened more than 3 or 4 times so I make sure to wipe off all the case lube now and it haas not been repeated. Gianni.

LIMPINGJ
03-20-2006, 10:50 PM
I have been using Cable Lube diluted with water. The last qt. was $5.50 at the local store. Has anyone used OB Lube? It is even cheaper at $3.40 a qt.
Jim

Lloyd Smale
03-21-2006, 05:34 AM
anhydrous lanolin

fiberoptik
04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
I have been using Cable Lube diluted with water. The last qt. was $5.50 at the local store. Has anyone used OB Lube? It is even cheaper at $3.40 a qt.
Jim
okay, I give up, what's "OB Lube"??:coffee:

454PB
04-19-2006, 12:34 AM
I use boot waterproofing for resizing lube, just like Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

I use the Lee Sizing lube as tapping compound, it works great.

I'll have to try the duck butter for pulling wires. I used to wear that stuff a lot when working in power plants.

LIMPINGJ
04-19-2006, 06:25 PM
As in OBGYN. From the feed store not the med supply.

Newtire
04-21-2006, 08:55 AM
I have been using brake assembly fluid used to lube rubber on wheel cylinders, master cylinders etc. available at auto parts stores. Squirt some on a foam pad/sponge set down into a fog lamp lens cover so I feel more like I am using an official RCBS lube pad. Roll cases over a slightly lubed pad. Use another pad to push the necks down into so the expander ball slides thru easy. I find it's easy to get lube wrinkles if you're not careful. A little bit goes a long way.

trooperdan
04-21-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a bottle of the KB wire pulling lube and it does resemble Lee's case lube. I haven't tried diluting it with water yet but it says on the bottle that it cleans up with water.

I like the idea of using Lee lube diluted as a dip lube for cases; has anyone tried that with the wire pulling lube? I'd hate to the first to try it and get a stuck case!

SurplusRifle web site had an article about using the wire lube but he just applied it with a lube pad.

Bucks Owin
04-28-2006, 08:14 PM
For straight walled cases, I just put a few drops of Husqvarna saw chain lube on a folded paper towel and roll the cases across. Very little works fine in my non-carbide dies.....

$5 a gallon

Dennis

kodiak1
04-28-2006, 09:46 PM
AS buck1 stated this is a very good thread and educational to boot.
Will try the wire lube have used it for running electrical wires never thought of it for a bullet lube. The stuff we used was yellow and everytime we had to use it I thought of baby poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken.

Greenfields
05-04-2006, 12:27 PM
I have used CLP in the past to lube cases, I would soak a rag in the clp, chuck some cases in a bag with with the rag and shake. Worked alright, but I do prefer the commercial stuff. I will be trying the Wire Lube though.

Cheers
Brian

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2006, 05:08 AM
all i use anymore is anhydous lanolin. I little on the fingers and wipe it on the case. Best lube ive ever used.

David R
05-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Well,
I started this thread, and would like to say I finally tried the wire pulling lube diluted with water and its the balls! Works just like the RCBS stuff I was paying $6.99 a small spray bottle.

Thanks everyone.

This dillon can really eat up the supplies. It can also crank out a bunch of great ammo fast.

David

threett1
05-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Excuse my ignorance of chemistry, but would denatured alcohol work with the wire lube to make a good spray? Having a hard time finding over 70% alcohol around here.

trooperdan
05-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Well,
I started this thread, and would like to say I finally tried the wire pulling lube diluted with water and its the balls! Works just like the RCBS stuff I was paying $6.99 a small spray bottle.

Thanks everyone.

This dillon can really eat up the supplies. It can also crank out a bunch of great ammo fast.

David

David, how 'bout some more info your your wire lube trial? How much did you dilute it? What brand of lube did you use? Did you use it wet or let it dry before sizing? Did you dip the cases , roll them or spray them?

I want something like the Lee lube; it can be diluted nearly 1;10 and works wet or dry. I diluted a bit of wire lube about 50:50 and it didn't seem to really dissolve, more like a suspension. This was the GB wire aide stuff.

David R
05-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Sure,

I bought a quart of GB Gardner Bender Wire-Aide (tm) Wire-Pulling lubricant. Part # 79-006. I'm pretty sure I paid $5.99 for it at Service Star hardware.

I used about 1/4 of an old RCBS pump spray lube container, and filled the rest with water. Shook the daylinghts out of it and sprayed it on my 32-20 cases. It seems to work better than the RCBS lube. Cases were not greasy after loading and went right in to the cartridge box. Prolly could have used a little less lube and more water. Spary it on, wait a few minutes to spread out and there ya go!

I doubt I will ever use anyting else.

David

btr-cj
05-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Well I wanted to try this stuff but I picked up the wrong bottle.

The stuff I got is call Clearglide by Ideal. It is a clear jell with a ba-gillion bubbles in it.

Anyone ever used this? Does it sound like the same as the GB stuff? I guess I can swap it out if I need to.

Thanks,

C.J.

j4570
05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I don't know what you are loading so much of.

A bottle of Midway or Dillon case lube is like $6-7 and it will lube probably 5,000 cases, cause I have done it.

Obviously, if it's a pistol caliber, and carbide dies are available, that will save money in the long run.

David R
05-09-2006, 10:03 PM
I don't know what you are loading so much of.

A bottle of Midway or Dillon case lube is like $6-7 and it will lube probably 5,000 cases, cause I have done it.

Obviously, if it's a pistol caliber, and carbide dies are available, that will save money in the long run.

I once stuck a case in my 30-06 die. I ended up buying a new die. Now I use a little more sizing lube. I was going through a bottle of RCBS a month on rifle calibers. 4 squirts in one direction, then 4 in the other. I shoot a lot of rifle. I do have carbide dies for peestol, good thing.

Btr-cj, I would try that stuff and see how it works. Then let us know.

David

kodiak1
05-10-2006, 12:08 AM
btr Was talking to my electrition friend and he said it is water sollubale and is better than the old yellow stuff.
The old yellow stuff would just dry up and leave a hard residue the clear stuff dries up and pretty much just disappears.
We have to pay $12.00 CDN for a quart up here but that is still cheaper than any of the other stuff. Grtting some tomorrow.
Ken.

slughammer
05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Excuse my ignorance of chemistry, but would denatured alcohol work with the wire lube to make a good spray? Having a hard time finding over 70% alcohol around here.

I'm also chemistry ignorant, but I do know you need to be careful of what was used to "denature" the alcohol. If it is methanol and says "brain damage" it may be a good idea to find something else.

I have not found isopropanol anywhere near where I live, but I do find the 91% isopropyl near the 70% at most pharmacies. Not 99%, but still better than 70%.

j4570
05-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Almost all Denatured Alcohol has methanol in it that is sold in places like paint departments. I think it has to have at least 2% of denaturant to avoid paying the ATF liquor tax.

Yes, you can find about 90% isopropyl, and usually you do have to go to a pharmacy and not Wally World. I routinely by that instead.

Jason

Blueknight2520
05-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Go to a store that carries electrical supplies(here Lowes,Home Depot and McCoys for example have it too) and buy a quart of GB(Gardner-Bender) Wire Aide. Been told it's the same as Lee case lube---I don't know if that's correct or not---but it works great and the quart will cost about $5 and buying Lee it's much higher.

The BG orginal lube works great. i have played with it diluted, diped and sprayed both work. I use alcohol to diute it. Water will work also but is slower to dry.

The primery ingredent is wax. This same wax is used as a wire draw lube. I understand this is indeed the same wax that Lee uses for there case sizing lube.I dont have the CSA # for the wax handy. If anyone needs it let me know and ill get it.

Avoid the CLEAR lube in the CLEAR container it is toaly diferent!!

i rince mine after sizing. but many say thats not needed.
BK

Blueknight2520
05-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Well I wanted to try this stuff but I picked up the wrong bottle.

The stuff I got is call Clearglide by Ideal. It is a clear jell with a ba-gillion bubbles in it.

Anyone ever used this? Does it sound like the same as the GB stuff? I guess I can swap it out if I need to.

Don't use that stuff! you can do some real damage with that stuff.
Go swop it for the GB. The stuff you wont is slightly yellow.
BK

azrednek
05-18-2006, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE=Newtire]I have been using brake assembly fluid used to lube rubber on wheel cylinders, master cylinders etc. available at auto parts stores. QUOTE]

This goes back alot of years and the chemicals may now be different. In the early 70's I was working for a brake supply wholesaler. We passed out a written advisory that brake assembly fluid could possibly cause fingernail damage. Apparently some mechanics and assembly line factory workers in rebuild plants had problems with their fingernails curling up and peeling off after becoming painfully soft. Best I recall it was advised to use a soap and water washing before using the conventional cream hand cleaners after using the assembly fluid. Possibly, and it is just speculation on my part that the assembly fluid was reacting with the chemicals in hand cleaner. Bear in mind that was alot of years ago and hopefully the chemical make up of assembly fluid has changed.

Dale53
05-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Proper case lube requires great film strength. Light oils just do not have it and you will, sooner or later, stick a case using these.

The traditional case lube was Anhydrous Lanolin. It has such high film strength that it was used for Industrial Draw dies for many, many years (may still be for all I know). It also was available from ANY drugstore. Not any more! It is now special order only and I have heard of horrendous prices wanted to special order some. Here is a good source:
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html#Lanolin

STP is also a great case lube. Its only problem is that is pretty much requires a solvent rag to remove from the cases. If left on the cases, it will allow too much case set back (may only be a problem in heavy loads- but it should be removed before firing). One can will last for many years. This works well using a lube pad.

I have used diluted Lee Case lube when doing thousands of big bore cases when I shot IPSC Rifle and Big Bore Rifle. It is probably the best of all. I used a 50 caliber ammo can, two thirds full of the diluted case lube and dipped the cases with a french fry basket (I found one small enough to just fit in the ammo can). You should decap the cses first, then dip a basket full in the lube, let it drain (just like they do french fries) then spread out on newspaper and let dry overnight (you can speed up by drying in the sun). This coats the case inside and out. The inert wax causes NO problems and makes expander stems just GLIDE in and out of the cases. Really good stuff (tip from C.E. Harris). The wax is easily removed from the outside.

FWIW
Dale53

felix
05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Several years ago I had dies w/shellholder made (Bonanza) to full length size 308 cases to fit my gun exactly. I gave them fully expanded cases for the pattern, and told them to make the dies size the cases to exactly to this dimension, and re-open the necks for 311 cast boolits. When placed on the shellholder, the cases will fit the gun with the slightest of feel upon bolt closure. As a result these dies will resize cases from any gun, including machine guns. I lube the cases with a diluted wd40 type of oil by the dunk method as per Dale, and will include some lanolin in the mix if the cases are too fat to glide through the dies. I then wash down the cases with paint thinner and let dry for several days. If using water soluble lubes, then you would want several ounces of vinegar in the final rinse water to cancel any water hardness effects. ... felix

trooperdan
05-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I have used diluted Lee Case lube when doing thousands of big bore cases when I shot IPSC Rifle and Big Bore Rifle. It is probably the best of all. I used a 50 caliber ammo can, two thirds full of the diluted case lube and dipped the cases with a french fry basket (I found one small enough to just fit in the ammo can).
FWIW
Dale53

Dale, did you just dilute the Lee lube with water? What dilution ratio did you use? Do you know if the Lee lube is soluble in alcohol?

The GB wire-aide is supposed to be very similar to the Lee product but it appeared to form a suspension when diluted with water rather than a solution.

David R
05-18-2006, 09:10 PM
I did not look at the solution or suspension, but I mixed the G-B with water and lubed 7.65 Arg cases and sized em effortlessly. I will use nothing else.

David

Danhits
12-30-2007, 12:17 AM
This is an old thread so I don't know if anyone will see it but I am seeking some advice and/or assistance.

I do high volumn reloading (2000-3000 at a time) on a Dillon 550B for .223 cal rifle.

I have tried all the lube methods I have found. Imperial Sizing Wax applied by hand, Dillon spray on, Hornady One Shot spray on, Mink oil applied by hand, ect. I have found some success but not complete satisfaction with each method.

The spray products work well for the outside of the cases but do not do a good enough job hitting the inside of the necks (remember I do 2000-3000 at a time). The lubes applied by hand work well but are slow especially getting the inside of the necks.

I was looking for a better more time efficient way and saw this thread...So...

Today I purchased a quart sized plastic bottle of the GB (Gardner Bender) wire aid lube (thick yellow colored gooey liquid) along with a one gallon can of denatured alcohol from the hardware store to give this replacement case lube recipe a try.

I mixed the quart of wire lube with about 1/2 the can of denatured alcohol. I stirred it up and poured it into an empty one gallon can, put the lid on and shook it up for several minutes which seemed to mix the components fairly well.

I then poured the mixture into a stainless steel bowl I had bought at a yard sale and proceeded to dunk twenty unsized Winchester brass cases in the mixture. I then let the cases air dry.

I then moved the cases dunked in the mixture to the loading bench. I then tested the lube mixture by sizing the cases dunked in the mixture through the sizing die in my press.

I must have missed something because they all ran through the sizing die as if they had no lube what so ever on them. They felt very dry and I felt lucky not to have stuck a case in my sizing die.

I should mention one other thing. I have taken the expander ball assembly out of my sizing die. Instead of using an expander ball I have a Sinclair Body Die that centers a mandral into and out of the case necks. The body die holding the neck mandral follows the sizing die in my Dillon too head.

This method eliminates any neck and or shoulder distortion that an expander ball can leave behind. It leaves the necks with a very consistant shape for seating the bullet and helps equal out neck tension.

This is one of the reasons why adaquate lubing of the inside of the case necks is so important to my brass prep method. Hence the search for a better way to get case lubing accomplished.

I must have missed something because it sounds like others have had very good results with this recipe. Can anyone offer some advise, assistance or help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

38 Super Auto
12-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Go to a store that carries electrical supplies(here Lowes,Home Depot and McCoys for example have it too) and buy a quart of GB(Gardner-Bender) Wire Aide. Been told it's the same as Lee case lube---I don't know if that's correct or not---but it works great and the quart will cost about $5 and buying Lee it's much higher.

Carpetman, that idea is perfect, because I have a quart of it sitting aroung doing nothing. :-D

carpetman
12-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Danhits---I think your problem may be letting it dry or perhaps too much thinning???

carpetman
12-30-2007, 12:08 PM
38 Super Auto--Give us a report as to how it works for you. I'm sure you have read some have thinned it and spray it on. I use it straight applied by hand.

BD
12-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I think I'm on only my second little tin of imperial sizing wax in 12 years. I just put a little on my finger tips and that seems to take care of things. 'Course I only load a few hundred rounds of rifle a year here in the low country, but a little dab'll do ya, and I've never stuck a case.
BD

Danhits
12-30-2007, 01:47 PM
carpetman
The Gardner Bender lube un-dilluted in alcohol is much too thick to use as a solution to dunk large amounts of cases in.

Using the gb lube to lube one case at a time by putting some on your fingers and rolling the cases between your fingers to lube the case works well for small amounts of ammo to be handloaded, but is too slow a process for loading high volumn amounts of ammo.

The who;e idea behind using a carrier such as alcohol was to stretch out the amount of lube used by dilluting it so it's lasts longer and then evaporate afterwards leaving just a thin coat of the lube on the case.

To the tiuch, there was little to nothing of the lube left on my cases leading me to believe that 4 parts of alcohol to 1 part of wire lube may have thinned the lube out too much. The 4 to 1 recipe I used is still over twice as strong as the 10 to 1 ratio discussed earlier in the thread.

If others were having success with the thinner mixture was is my stronger mixture seem thinner? I must be missing something here.

Danhits
01-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Update

Bad
The 1 quart GB wire lube mixed with 1/2 gallon of denatured alcohol case lube solution didn't work for me.

I am kepping the mixture in an air tight container to maybe use on something else later on down the road.

Good
Went to local health food store and purchased 6 ounce bottles of liquid lanolin, $5 ea.
Went to local grocery store and purchased 16 ounce bottles of 99% alcohol, $1 ea.

Mixed 6 oz bottle of liquid lanolin with three 16 oz bottles of 99% alcohol in large bowl. Dunked 75 cases at a time, 10,000 total, in the solution using a cheap plastic spagetti strainer. Still had 20 ounces of solution left when I was done. Let cases air dry over night.

Sized batches of cases the next day. Effortless. Works perfect. Inside and outside lubed perfect, sized perfevt and tumbled clean in a couple of hours after trimming and cleaning the primer pockets.

Looks smells and feels just like Dillon Case Lube.

Just thought I 'd share that with you.

Happy New Year everyone.

Dan

Lloyd Smale
01-02-2008, 05:43 AM
anhydrous lanolin is the best lube ive found hands down. Nice thing is a have a big tub of it for making felix lube. Enough of it to fill a coffee cup would last the average loader his whole life. I just touch it to my fingers and wipe a very light coating on the case. It works better then any store bought lube. I was told that thats all lee lube was was lanolin cut with mineral spirits. But why buy a little bottle of it for 10 bucks when for 20 you can buy a quart tub of it on ebay.

Morgan Astorbilt
01-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Almost all my reloading life(until a few years ago,)I used a grease formula given to me by P.O.Ackley, for wiping down guns after hunting. 50-50 Anhydrous lanolin and Vaseline. The lanolin was supposed to absorb any moisture on the gun's surface, and keep it suspended in the Vaseline. For sizing, I would just rub a dab between my palms, and roll the cases between them.
I still use it for rifle cases, and case forming, but for pistol, which I load in large volume, I now use One Shot.
I recently looked for the anhydrous lanolin at my local CVS pharmacy, and was led to the "female" section, where it's sold as a nipple cream for nursing mothers. You guys might want to have your wives pick it up for you:mrgreen:
Morgan

jcwit
01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
This is going to sound crazy but it works for me, tried it because I had just washed my hands and noticed how slippery it was. Palmolive dish washing liquid, just use a drop on your fingers lasts about 8 or 10 cases. I've used it for .30 cal. carbine, 7.62 x 39, and 30/06. I size before tumbling, the detergent rinses right off with luke warm water, wash my hands at the same time. Spread out on a cookie sheet (one not used for baking or cooking) and 15 min. at 100 to 200 deg. there ready for the tumbler.

slughammer
01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Update

The 1 quart GB wire lube mixed with 1/2 gallon of denatured alcohol case lube solution didn't work for me.

Looks smells and feels just like Dillon Case Lube.

I think David R was using water as his carrier for the GB lube. I think GB lube is water based and Alcohol would pull all the water out of the GB lube making it hard and dry like you found.

I use my empty case lube spray bottle, a good squeze of lanolin from the tube, pour in 91% alcohol and add (2) boolits (for agitation). Then shake the heck out of it. Works great as a spray lube. No heat involved and the mixture stays mixed.

I haven't tried the GB + water as case lube yet, but will give it a go. Seems like it will be a lot like One shot.

For all my spray lubes I use a gallon ziplock bag. Spray the bag first, add cases, then a couple more sprays. Roll it around to distribute, dump them out and let them dry.

Tom-n8ies
01-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Has anyone tried ideal Yellow 77 Wire Pulling Lubricant? My local Homie Depot did not have GB Wire Aide.

The Ideal 77 is wax based and according to the MSDS it is moderately soluble in water. MSDS here:

http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/msds/Docs/wcd00024/wcd02429.htm

Could this be thinned with alcohol or water?

tom

MT Chambers
01-03-2008, 06:33 AM
I try to not use any lube as it just gums things up and attracts dirt and shavings, etc. For handgun ctg. i use carbide dies, for bottleneck cases i use necksizers only, for BPCR cases I don't size at all.

Treeman
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
For several thousand rounds now I have been using nothing but soap. It has been a while since i did it but I think my recipe was I ounc eof grated Ivory in 6 oz of water-Place in microwave for 1 minute or howerve rlong it take sto melt the soap. After it cools t will be a gel. I apply with fingers and place a little smear across the case mouth. The lube costs next to nothing, works as well as any commercial product I ever tried and wipes off the cases with a damp rag leaving them squeaky clean.

nicholst55
01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
For those wanting a source of inexpensive lanolin, do a web search. You DO NOT need the medical grade, which is 3-4 times as expensive as the regular stuff. I bought some recently for an eminently reasonable price, although I can't remember just how much it was.

FWIW, Lanolin is one major ingredient in swaging lube, with the other being Castor Oil.

dbldblu
01-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I have been using candle wax for full length sizing for a long time now. Hold case between thumb and forefinger of left hand. Rub case with the side of a candle while rotating case slowly. Try to get about 8-12 lines spread around the case. You do not have to cover the entire surface of the case. It only takes about a second to do this. Size away. Wipe off the wax with a paper towel or rag. Have been using the same candle for at least 10 years now.

Harry
01-16-2009, 08:19 PM
What is "undyed" dishwashing liquid? What brand of dishwashing liquid would be undyed?

canuck4570
01-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I have been using crisco vegetable shortening for my lubing... I have done 358 winchester out of 308 casing with no problem ( no effort ) and when I reload a big quantity I put all my case in my rotary tumbler and take some strip of cloth with crisco on them...put them it the tumbler whit the cases and tumble a few minute until all case have a film of crisco then on the Dillon try it you will be surprise how it goes easy on the press....

WyrTwister
02-20-2011, 11:17 AM

I tried 2 different brands of wire lube , that we had on hand . Neither worked . :-(

May try others ?

God bless
Wyr

brow_tines
02-20-2011, 11:47 AM
On page 71 in Modern Reloading by Richard Lee he states that Lee lube is "overkill" with carbide dies and to dilute it with 10 parts water or better yet alcohol.

Skipper488
02-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I use a pump sprayer with one tube of LEE case sizing lubricant plus four tubes of alcohol. Shake well and spray. After some time the lube settles on the bottom of the bottle but just shake it up before use.

Urban

+1

I use this recipe, set all my cases in my reloading tray, a few quick spritzes and wait just a minute or two for it to dry then start sizing.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Several years ago I bought a bottle of lubricant at the 99 cent store that is a konck-off of STP. I put a small amount of it on a RCBS pad and roll the case in it. After rolling several cases I resize them all ,then I wipe the lubricant off. Works great. The bottle will last for many more years.

Flash
02-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I have found nothing that compares to Imperial Sizing Die wax

Four Fingers of Death
02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
I pretty much use Lee sizing lube. I squeeze and amount onto the base of a primer tray (an empty one of course). I then spit onto the lube, yeah, not real nice, but tap is a long way away and then mix the two. When mixed, I lube the case body and neck using my fingers and throw the lubed cases into an ice cream bucket. I leave them overnight and next day They are good to go. The Lee lube makes them cycle through the sizing die as easy as and there is no evidence of the lube left on the case. Gotta love that! Definetly the best option as I see it and great for progressive presses.

Someguys here use alcohol to thin it so that it dries quickly.

Another option is cable pulling lube (Which I believe is essentially a runny liquid version if Lee case lube). I have tried it diluted with water, works well, but takes forever to dry. I haven't got around to mixing it with alcohol yet.

zxcvbob
03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
I've just started reloading .223. I've been loading handgun cartridges for years, and dabbled a little with .30-06, but this is my first time to get serious with a bottleneck ctg.

Using range-pick-up brass with all "FC 223 REM" headstamps, I washed (they were full of sand and mud), dried, and tumble-polished them, then started resizing using Kiwi Mink Oil. No stuck cases, but it was taking more force than I thought it should. So I switched to lubing inside the necks with a Q-tip and castor oil, and the only lube on the outside was the castor oil from my greasy fingers. Much better. (I didn't know Lee dies had an expander ball) Now the cases are back in the tumbler to clean the oil off.

So either Mink Oil (I suspect its the same thing as Imperial) or castor oil will work for sizing and they are both cheap and readily available, but there's gotta be a better system for lubing inside the necks. Has anybody figured that out yet? Is there a wax-based lube for the inside necks that doesn't have to be cleaned out? I'm not concerned about the lube on the outsides; I can clean that off after they are loaded. And where do I get a neck brush -- the Q-tip got pretty ragged real fast. I could also dip the necks in castor oil dissolved in denatured alcohol, but then I still have oil inside the cases to contaminate the powder.

I think I'm going to take the sizing die apart and polish the expander ball. Then it might not need lube.

StratsMan
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Bob...

You can also dip the necks in a dry lube, such as used when only neck sizing... you can search "neck lube" at your favorite supply site, or start at mine... MidSouthShootersSupply...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004490377

It's cheap, too...

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Bag Balm works in a pinch too

trooperdan
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Keep lubing those cases! You might want to try the Lee white lube that is water soluable. Some even dilute it 1:9 lube to water, and dip the cases, let dry, resize. The lube wipes off easily with a cloth or can be tumbled in dry media.

KohlerK91
03-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I made some Lanolin and alchohol lube and it is AWSOME. A little is all you need. slicker that heck on .223 cases. I was sticking them with Hornady One shot but not any more. I will never buy lube again.......................

wv109323
03-08-2012, 07:28 PM
I had been using Lee case lube with an RCBS pad. I thought it was the berries compared to the RCBS brand that I first began reloading with.. I tried to find the Lee case lube locally and could not. I eventually ran out of the Lee and in desperation bought a Bottle of Hornady case lube. The bottle was $4.49.
I have lubed and sized about (700) .308 Winchester about (500) 30-06 and about (500) 30-30 cases with the Hornady lube. I have well over 3/4 of the bottle left . I used it with the RCBS
If you have never tried The Hornady case lube give it a try. I really , really like it compared to both the Lee and the RCBS. It is super slick and does not accumulate,
With the RCBS and the Lee I always had trouble of the lube accumulating and making craters into the brass.
I was resizing military .308 and at times I would have to almost stand up and put my weight onto the Rockchucker handle to get some of the .308 resized. The Hornady made a hugh difference. Try it.

zxcvbob
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Talcum powder! I just tried it and it works great -- just like motor mica, or graphite without the mess. (Just make sure the baby powder is actually talc and not cornstarch.)

It might work for lubing the outside of the cases too, but I wouldn't trust it. I'm back to using Kiwi Mink Oil for that, just a tiny bit on my fingertips. But then I dip the case mouth in a little cup of talcum powder and knock out the excess. I wasn't sure it would stick, but it does.

Thanks StratsMan, your post gave me the idea.

canyon-ghost
03-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Every time someone talks case lube, I feel a bit awkward sharing my little secret. I asked Ed Harris what they used for case lube. I have a penchant for depression era techniques, why not do it cheaper and handier? He recommended Alberto VO5 hairdressing gel. It's petroleum jelly and lanolin. It's also available in a lot of grocery stores, just about everywhere and less expensive than the others.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/22Hornetcases005.jpg

It takes very little, about a 1/4" dab on a lube pad to do several hundred rounds. I use it every day on cases and am happy with it (except the smell). I was very tired of reordering case lube, every couple months is a vicious cycle. Hornady One Shot was getting expensive too.

Good Luck,
Ron

Four Fingers of Death
03-09-2012, 07:48 AM
I just checked out a tin of Dubbin which is a wax/oil boot waterproofing product made in Australia. It goes on like grease. I must try it.

I bough an RCBS case prep machine some years back and it had a mica powder in a little plastic cup on it. That was great to use. Before that I always used some graphite powder that I inhheirited from my father in law. Tipped a bit into the little pill bottle sized metal container it come in and just dipped the necks into it and tapped the excess away before sizing the case. It was a tad dirty on the necks, but they sized as easy as.

milprileb
03-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Hard to figure out fact from fiction on this thread.

From running a candle along side a case, to spitting into Lee Lube and it goes down hill
from there.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here and take everything seriously.

Reload3006
03-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Before I started swaging Bullets I used Imperial sizing wax IMO it was the best. I used Hornady one shot and RCBS goop ..... the least expensive stuff and worked pretty good was pam cooking spray... but that **** gummed up my dies pretty good too. But washed out with solvent pretty fast. Now I just use my swaging lube 50% Anhydrous Lanolin and 50% Castor oil. its the best stuff I have ever used ..You can deposit that in your bank account.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I managed to find anhydrous lanolin at a pharmacy today. They don't stock it on the shelf, but they had a tub in the back they used to make various cremes and ointments with.
He sold me 3 ounces. I bought a small 10 oz bottle of 99% alcohol there too.
I softened 1 0z of the lanolin in a coffee cup on a hot plate with about 1/3 of the alcohol. At about 107 degrees the lanolin cleared up and went into suspension in the alcohol. I put this in a emptied Windex spray bottle and added the rest of the alcohol and shook it up. Sprayed this on 10 cases just 'cause I had to try it out.
Man this stuff is the cats meow. Effortless sizing, no drag over the expander.
It dried within seconds of spraying as it was still warm. Some experimentation is needed as there is too much lanolin at the ratio i mixed and left a nice ring around the sizing die base.
I'll thin it out a bit with some more alcohol when I get some.
So far, I'm really impressed.
I've always used Imperial sizing die wax applied from a RCBS pad but this is way faster and eliminates the extra step of lubing the inside of the case neck.
BTW, Imperial sizing die wax and lanolin feel an awful lot alike[smilie=1:

Bullet Caster
03-11-2012, 12:13 AM
I ain't been reloading very long, but I've only used Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Never a stuck case and a little goes a loooooong way. I even use it on my carbide dies and makes sizing a lot less effortless. BC

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I've only used Imperial as well for years and years.
My volume of reloading has skyrocketed since I started casting, and needed to speed up the process. The spray on lanolin lube goes on fast, comes off easy and at about 9$/quart is pretty cheap too.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
I got my lanolin / alcoho thinned out with more alcohol today.
Ratio is around 1 oz of lanoline to 18 oz of alcohol. Seems to be
about perfect. No build up on the dies, no effort, no stuck cases.
I be happy camper, thanks to whoever started this

Horace
03-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Used a cloth with slick 50 to clean up a few 303 savage brass it went through the sizer as if i used Imperial case lube.

Horace

Four Fingers of Death
03-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Used a cloth with slick 50 to clean up a few 303 savage brass it went through the sizer as if i used Imperial case lube.

Horace

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I bought some Slick50 years ago and never got around to using it. It would be a lot dearer than case lube though.

zxcvbob
05-16-2012, 01:00 PM
I've just started reloading .223's a few months ago. Been using either Kiwi Mink Oil or castor oil to lube the cases one-at-a-time like I do with .30-06's. I remembered that I have an old bottle of Dillon spray lube from back when I used steel pistol dies. I shook it up good and sprayed about 50 cases and sloshed them around then let them dry. It worked as good as the mink oil and castor oil. I think the secret is letting the alcohol evaporate before you try to size them (like it says in the directions)

So I'm going back to the spray lube, and if I ever run out (I've got 2 full bottles) I'll try making my own with castor oil and 99% isopropyl from Autozone.

gwpercle
05-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I like the 10 to 1 Lee case lube and alcohol . I got a 6oz. spray bottle , they are in the pharmacy section with ladies make up and hair color etc. ( my wife knew just where to look ) it has an adjustable spray nozzel that turns off and a little filter at the end of the supply tube to keep out any particles.

Just shake well ,spray the cases , roll around a bit and let dry.... no mess no greasy fingers and for those who use, God forbid , castor oil...NO STINK.
I dropped a bottle of castor oil once and I do not like the smell.

Lee don't stink
gary

wv109323
05-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I just bought a bottle of Hornady case lube out of desperation. I had used RCBS and didn't like it. A friend turned me on to Lee case lube about 15 years ago and I have been using it. I could not find the Lee lube locally and bougt the Hornady as that is all I could find.
I was amazed with the stuff. Far superior to either RCBS or Lee. I lube and sized about 800 rounds total of 30-06,308,223,220 swift and 25-06. I used less than a third of the bottle which cost locally $4.50.

gray wolf
05-18-2012, 08:35 PM
anhydrous lanolin = nipple cream
I just keep a little on my finger and I can do 3 or 4 cases, then I put another dot on my finger. No mess, no washing of cases, I like it.
But my way does not get the inside of the case for the expander ball.
I will have to try the mix and spray bottle.
Do you have to wash it off ? will in hurt the powder ?

oldscool
05-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Do you have to wash it off ?NO
will in hurt the powder ?NO

gray wolf
05-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Very effective answer:
thank you, I wouldn't want to make a mistake

Four Fingers of Death
05-20-2012, 09:32 AM
anhydrous lanolin = nipple cream
I just keep a little on my finger ?[/B]

"I just keep a little on my finger" We talking nipples or the cream here???? HaHa!

taminsong
05-22-2012, 02:34 AM
:D nice!

Tried the lanolin, it works great but I'm already out of it.
Now, its STP that I'm using. Works ok too.

rda72927
05-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Ok, question for Lanolin/Alcohol users. With some trial and error,(hot water bath) got the lanolin and alcohol mixed up in a mason jar, poured 6 oz in a my little sprayer and tested. It wooked wonderfully. Used it on a large lot of 9mm, (200) 22-250's and the tuff test of a 100 range pick up 223's. Great results. Now it is late in the day, look over at my mason jar and notice that about 60% of the lanolin has settled out to the bottom.
Couple of questions:
1) Did I do something wrong?

2) Does the lanolin/alcohol mix have to stay warm?

trooperdan
05-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Ok, question for Lanolin/Alcohol users. With some trial and error,(hot water bath) got the lanolin and alcohol mixed up in a mason jar, poured 6 oz in a my little sprayer and tested. It wooked wonderfully. Used it on a large lot of 9mm, (200) 22-250's and the tuff test of a 100 range pick up 223's. Great results. Now it is late in the day, look over at my mason jar and notice that about 60% of the lanolin has settled out to the bottom.
Couple of questions:
1) Did I do something wrong?

2) Does the lanolin/alcohol mix have to stay warm?

Just shake well prior to use, that's normal!

Four Fingers of Death
05-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Whats a Mason Jar?

zxcvbob
05-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Whats a Mason Jar?

A canning jar. (reusable thick glass jar with a tight-fitting lid with a rubber seal)

Four Fingers of Death
05-28-2012, 11:40 PM
A canning jar. (reusable thick glass jar with a tight-fitting lid with a rubber seal)

OK, we have Vacola jars out here which are vacuum sealed and then the other clipped down lid ones, which are probably what you guys are talking about.

GT27
06-02-2012, 08:24 PM
VO5 shampoo for me .99 cents a bottle,its what Ive been using now for 35 years! GT27

zxcvbob
06-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Shampoo or hair dressing?

Tomuchiron
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
I've been using my aerosol , teflon dry film motorcycle chain spray. Dupont brand from Wally W. Lay the cases down. and do a one pass spray as light as possible. then a slight rolling of the brass. reallyslick in the dies. I do not wash off.

Freischütz
06-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Ballistol works well for me. For caseforming I prefer something a little heavier - like regular case sizing lube.

dverna
12-09-2016, 12:20 PM
First, sorry for resurrecting an old thread...but at least I did a search for my question.

I am looking for a spray on lube to process large quantities of mil-surp 5.56 and 7.62 cases. I want a lube that does not require wiping off or cleaning; and does need to air dry for more than a few minutes.

After reading this thread, it looks like a mix of Lanolin and alcohol is the best option. Any opinions or new "discoveries" since this old thread? What ratio of lanolin/alcohol is recommended?

BTW, I use Imperial Sizing Wax so there is no need to tell me how good it is. I am not interested in something like that.

Thanks for any information.

Don Verna

375RUGER
12-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Don't know about the ratio but if you just want to buy it, Dillon Case Lube is lanolin and alcohol.

375RUGER
12-09-2016, 01:07 PM
found it in this thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?213751-homemade-lanolin-amp-alcohol-case-lube
post 10

dragon813gt
12-09-2016, 01:43 PM
I still clean after using the Dillon Case Lube. Otherwise fingerprints end up all over the brass. I've made it myself in different ratios and have the same issue. It doesn't effect anything.

castalott
12-14-2016, 05:47 PM
I have a small box of all the different case lubes. The Dillon spray works as good as any for me...

Your mileage may vary.... Dale

waco
12-15-2016, 10:36 PM
I'm learning to love Hornady Unique case lube. 4oz for less than $5
It's a lifetime supply. It will also help dry skin on your fingers and waterproof your boots.

Kevin Rohrer
12-17-2016, 11:59 AM
This is an old thread. If I did not reply to it earlier, try a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax. It lasts for 10s of thousands of rounds and you can be lazy and not clean it off if you want. Use very, very sparingly.

dragon813gt
12-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Out of curiosity I looked for the Imperial Sizing Wax MDS sheet. All I found is a letter saying it's not required because it's not for occupational use. And that any non hazardous ingredients were considered trade secrets. I understand that this fully complies w/ the law. But you will find the MDS sheets for all the other competing products. I personally look up everything because I like to know what I'm being exposed to. Good thing Mink Oil works so well because I will not use Imperial because of this.

LAH
12-17-2016, 08:30 PM
This is an old thread. If I did not reply to it earlier, try a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax. It lasts for 10s of thousands of rounds and you can be lazy and not clean it off if you want. Use very, very sparingly.

Love this stuff & no mess.