PDA

View Full Version : Alaska earthquake

DLCTEX
06-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Any members in the 5.4 quake area? News said it was centered near Willow. Hope everyone is ok.

Slow Elk 45/70
06-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Yup, I was at my place in Talkeetna when it shook, about 20 mi from epicenter of quake. No biggie , it did last for about 20 seconds, rolled a bit, with some after shocks.:???:

I haven't heard of anyone being hurt or any property damage to speak of. We have them pretty often up here , this one was a little stronger than usual.....[smilie=1:

Thanks for asking.:drinks:

HCL
06-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Just north of us about 30 miles, no damage here other than stuff fell off the shelfs. It did seam to last a long time.
Mike

Dennis Eugene
06-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Couple hunnert miles from me, this is the first I heard of it. Dennis

PatMarlin
06-23-2009, 01:21 AM
I just talked to my friend in Kenai- Stirling day before yesterday. Have to give him a call check to see if he and the mrs. is OK.

AkMike
06-23-2009, 01:43 AM
I haven't heard of any injurys or property damage. It wasn't that big of a shaker.

armyrat1970
06-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Caught some info on the cable news about it. Hope everyone in the area made out okay.

Bob Krack
06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Not trying to make light of a potential disaster (of any magnitude) but here in far northern Kalifornia "small" 'quakes are extremely common. hunnerts each year - most below 2.0

Not too awful long ago - year before last or so, we had a 5.2 about 4 miles from here and the kids (grandkids were visiting) laughed, giggled and made fun of it. Several other foreshocks and aftershocks in the 4.5-4.8 range. Ya could here them coming and the kids would all laugh and yell "ready for a foot massage?"

In my opinion, most quakes under 6.0 are not usually very damaging.

Yes, I know, some are - I'm not here to fight. Just commenting to help reassure some that the 5.4 was probably not too serious.

Years ago when the "Loma Prieta" quake caused all the damage in the San Francisco area (the overpasses and multilevel highways fell, etc), my sister in Ohio called me to see if we were all right. Hadn't heard from her for years before so I certainly appreciate the worry or concern for others.

Bob

Storydude
06-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Earthquakes don;t kill people.

Falling buildings kill people.

AkMike
06-24-2009, 02:29 AM
Earthquakes don;t kill people.

Falling buildings kill people.

You haven't been thru a biggun have you?:confused:

armyrat1970
06-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Not trying to make light of a potential disaster (of any magnitude) but here in far northern Kalifornia "small" 'quakes are extremely common. hunnerts each year - most below 2.0

Not too awful long ago - year before last or so, we had a 5.2 about 4 miles from here and the kids (grandkids were visiting) laughed, giggled and made fun of it. Several other foreshocks and aftershocks in the 4.5-4.8 range. Ya could here them coming and the kids would all laugh and yell "ready for a foot massage?"

In my opinion, most quakes under 6.0 are not usually very damaging.

Yes, I know, some are - I'm not here to fight. Just commenting to help reassure some that the 5.4 was probably not too serious.

Years ago when the "Loma Prieta" quake caused all the damage in the San Francisco area (the overpasses and multilevel highways fell, etc), my sister in Ohio called me to see if we were all right. Hadn't heard from her for years before so I certainly appreciate the worry or concern for others.

Bob

Bob I got to tell you. I don't want to go through a 5.2 quake. I live in Southeast Louisiana and all we have to deal with is hurricanes like Katrina. I stayed during Katrina but sent my family to Florida. In and earthquake you have no time to escape. That would be a total different type of survival situation for me.

Down South
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I hope that all of our neighbors up north are faring well from the quake. Is seems that everyone no matter where they live has to deal with mother natures disasters in one way or another. Here, we have hurricanes; other places are common for tornadoes, some for earthquakes and then others for volcanoes. The only good thing about hurricanes is we have plenty warning before they hit where as earthquakes, volcanoes and tornadoes there is little to no warning.