PDA

View Full Version : Deer with Soupcan in 30-30

TCLouis
03-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Anyone here USE this bullet on a deer sucessfully.
I loaded some 30-30 using the 30 Carbine RNSP (full length GC bullet) (about 2100 fps) for a friend. She wanted it for her son to use and it worked REAL well. Complete penetration (she was in the blind with him, and made him wait for perfect broadside shot) and the deer went 35 yds with perfect through the chest shot!

Soupcan should do as well or better.

Experiences preferred over opinions, but opinions accepted.

Doubt I will find anyone here that is willing to express an opinion though!!

45 2.1
03-15-2006, 11:26 PM
What your asking is will a souped up 32-20 will kill deer. The answer is yes provided it is put in a vital spot.

versifier
03-15-2006, 11:42 PM
I launch soupcans out of a .30-30 at around 2700fps. Alloy is 1/2 lino 1/2 pure, powder is Re-7. Five deer in the freezer with them in the last three years, though none this past season. All shots less than 100yds. All one shot kills. They were taken by real hunters, not your "spray and pray" kind of guy. They were well aware of the boolit's limitations and waited for the right shot. It needs a perfect broadside shot through the boilerroom, at a short range, not a quartering shot at the south end of a northbound critter in the next county. That said, and understood, it's a great boolit for deer. :mrgreen:

TCLouis
03-18-2006, 09:58 AM
I had hoped there were some folks using the bullet.

I will probably stay down around 21-2200 fps and ranges will be less than 50 yards as it was above.

versifier
03-18-2006, 04:29 PM
TCL,
I would try to get as much velocity as possible, and push it until you start to get leading. Try RE-7 and start at around 26gr. I was OK up to 29.5gr, but 30 was too much. This has worked in several different action types, too: lever, break, and bolt, so I am confident with it, of course YMMV. No boolits were recovered, all penetrated completely, but I do not know what would happen with lower velocity/less energy. I do not know how much, if any, expansion occurred, the exit wounds didn't seem much bigger than the entrance, and there was very little meat damage, even in one that passed through the front offside shoulder, missing the bone.