PDA

View Full Version : What bullet chemistry/alloy?

Naphtali
06-22-2009, 07:36 PM
This question is not a black powder cartridge question. But this forum is as close as I can get for information on a breechloading non-cartridge rifle. And, no, it is not a Sharps or other normal breechloading percussion rifle. It is a Ferguson breechloading flintlock using round balls that fire form slightly to an elliptical shape during firing process. I have tried only pure lead unlubricated RBs. The query is my attempt to improve twitchy accuracy and performance.

Let's stipulate:
1. FFg or FFFg black powder is the propellant.

2. Bullet is of optimum diameter for the barrel.

3. Bullet has proper amount and type of lubrication.

4. Bullet uses no patch.
What bullet chemistry, from pure lead to [any given] alloy achieves least leading at velocity range 1200-1500 fps?

If same bullet with optimal sizing has no lubrication, would chemistry of bullet change to achieve least leading?

Springfield
06-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't understand #3. If you are using unlubricated RB's with no patches, how does the bullet have proper lubrication? Seems like you have answered your own question there.

cajun shooter
06-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I would think that you need to be in the 92-2-6 area for a BHN of 15

Naphtali
06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I would think that you need to be in the 92-2-6 area for a BHN of 15Is this 2 percent tin and 6 percent antimony or vice versa?

August
06-23-2009, 12:21 AM
In my opinion, you'll have to add some kind of wad to protect the base of the bullet during powder ignition. Seat bullet, put wad in place against bullet base, add powder. Otherwise, all bets are off about leading no matter what alloy you use.

As for alloy, in general the softer the better with BP. Really, using only enough tin to get the lead to fill out in whatever mold you're using. I'd recommend 30/1 lead/tin as a starting point.

NickSS
06-23-2009, 04:52 AM
I know the furgison rifle and it loads a round ball followed by loose powder then the breach screw is turned to plug the hole. The originals fired a naked ball and it will lead the barrel. As for alloy either pure lead or a mix of 30 to 1 lead tin will work in it. What I do not know is how you lube the rifle? I have used regular bullet lube on RB for my brown bess musket by the simple expedient of rolling the ball around on a table with a wood rasp and when the ball was well dimpled dipping it in melted lube. These fire as well as RB in a smooth bore can when you are not allowed to use a patch.

cajun shooter
06-23-2009, 08:51 AM
If you are using no patch then I'm with Springfield on this; How is it lubed? If you are using a lead ball and the bore is smooth; I agree with NickSS. I also would not use the harder alloy as that might cause you a problem.

rhead
06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Have you tried liquid alox, moly, or maybe copper plating? I believe that this design flaw was to at least some extent why the Frerguson rifle was never a financial success. All I can really sugest is keep trying things that make sense and good luck.

One other thing that can be tried, Add some crisco, lard, tallow or some other oil to some corn meal. Blend the ratios until the mixture will still flow like powder. Add this between the ball and the powder. Bear in mind that you will be giving up an equivilent volume of powder. trying for a greese cookie that you can get positioned near the front of a Ferguson chamber.

dominicfortune00
06-23-2009, 09:42 PM
What if you took the ball and a short length of tube that it fit in snugly.

Then you pour a predetermined amout of melted black powder lube into the tube set on waxpaper, and insert the ball until it contacts the lube.

After letting everything cool, you just push the ball out of the tube for a ball with lube cookie attached.

If it would help, you could even pour some melted lube on top of the ball in the tube to lube the barrel ahead of the ball, while the lube cookie after the ball keeps black powder fouling soft.

Who knows, it may work.

rhead
06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
What if you took the ball and a short length of tube that it fit in snugly.

Then you pour a predetermined amout of melted black powder lube into the tube set on waxpaper, and insert the ball until it contacts the lube.

After letting everything cool, you just push the ball out of the tube for a ball with lube cookie attached.

If it would help, you could even pour some melted lube on top of the ball in the tube to lube the barrel ahead of the ball, while the lube cookie after the ball keeps black powder fouling soft.

Who knows, it may work.

In a Ferguson rifle the ball needs to be able to roll to the front of the chamber before the powder inis inserted behind it. The ball is onserted through the opening made by dropping the breech plug, it makes a short legged 90* turn. after an excess of powder is put in the chamber the plug is raised back into position effectivily using the chamber and breech plug as a powder measure.