PDA

View Full Version : out of practice with the big bores

Lloyd Smale
06-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Took out my old 475 yesterday. Its been about 3 years since i shot a real big gun and load. With the back surgerys i just havent been able to shoot much let alone the big guns. Gun is a plain jane non barrelbanded 5.5 inch blued gun that John built me years ago. It was getting pretty ratty looking so it went to John for a cosmetic makeover. Only bling on the gun are the sambar stag grips. This gun has been the most consistantly accurate handgun ive ever owned. It shoots most any load into an inch or less at 25 yards. Didnt do that well yesteday though. It has been way to long since i popped a cap on a load that stout. About 1.5 inch was the best i could do. Shot a few groups then proceded to shoot about a 100 rounds destroying any rock i could find. Kind of felt good to shoot a big gun for a change.

44man
06-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Took out my old 475 yesterday. Its been about 3 years since i shot a real big gun and load. With the back surgerys i just havent been able to shoot much let alone the big guns. Gun is a plain jane non barrelbanded 5.5 inch blued gun that John built me years ago. It was getting pretty ratty looking so it went to John for a cosmetic makeover. Only bling on the gun are the sambar stag grips. This gun has been the most consistantly accurate handgun ive ever owned. It shoots most any load into an inch or less at 25 yards. Didnt do that well yesteday though. It has been way to long since i popped a cap on a load that stout. About 1.5 inch was the best i could do. Shot a few groups then proceded to shoot about a 100 rounds destroying any rock i could find. Kind of felt good to shoot a big gun for a change.
Great to hear you are getting back. It will take a while to get back into the .475 and it sure can be a surprise after not shooting it for a while. But it is my favorite caliber and what you say is true, it will shoot about anything you feed it. If I could only own one gun, it would be a .475.
I want you back all the way to health, my very best to you. :drinks:

Lloyd Smale
06-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree with you pal. Ive got two 500s and two 475s and although i love the 500s just cause there big, i think the 475 is the more versitile of the two cartridges.