PDA

View Full Version : RIO brand shells.............

NSP64
06-21-2009, 12:07 PM
I found a hole S**t load of these hulls and was wondering what data I should use? They are blue high brass with a 2 piece hull and a 6 crimp star.

diehard
06-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Try this chart:
http://www.rioammo.com/images/ReloadingData209RioPrimers.pdf

I got this from the Rio website. This is the ONLY shotsehll company I have seen that lists every single component it uses in its shells. Take a look around the site. Pretty cool.

Whoops.....the above chart is for it primers. Sorry, I thought I was helping out. The componets listed are found below. I have no idea what the US equivalents are.

http://www.rioammo.com/index.htm

Johnch
06-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Use Cheddite load data

Look at the base of the hull ( brass)
If you see the Stars and gauge
It is a Cheddite hull regardless of who's name is on it

As I understand it
Cheddite supplys hulls to a large number of companys that load them world wide

I love the cheddite 3" hulls for steel loads

John

Silicon Wolverine
06-22-2009, 05:17 PM
cheddite are really good hulls. last almost as long as AA does.

SW

diehard
06-22-2009, 06:43 PM
When you read the articles in the RIO website, they claim they make 100% of all their components, including the hulls. They also claim that they supply components for some of the world's biggest ammo companies. Is it possible that RIO makes hulls for Cheddite?

http://www.rioammo.com/images/ACompanyYouShould.pdf

diehard
06-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I've combed the web (out of my own curiosity), and the only consistant info I can find is that since the RIO hulls are of Reifenhauser design they can be loaded like Federal hulls. I have no idea if this is true, but I found it on a couple of threads in Shotgunworld and similar websites. The Cheddite website claims to make their own hulls too, in France, as opposed to the Rio hulls made in Spain. NO idea how these hulls compare to Nobel.

You would think that a company that claims to be the 3rd largest ammo mfg in the world would have reloading data!

I too would like to know the answer to NSP64's question because I have access to a few dozen or so RIO's I might like to reload.

I'm tempted to call Hodgdon tomorrow and see if they know anything about them.

diehard
06-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Interesting article here about where certain imported hulls come from.....
http://www.internationalsportingclays.com/2009/01/caught-in-cartridge-cost-conundrum-here.html

I'm still looking for an explanation of the U.E.E. ---this might lead to our answer.

So far I've only found out that RIO is the UEE "In house" brand and that Kemen is made of the same components.

GrizzLeeBear
06-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I just started back into reloading shotgun shells, too. Do the RIO hulls have paper base wads? I have read alot of cautions against reloading the cheap Federals if they might have gotten wet having the paper base wads come loose and causing bore obstructions. If the RIO hulls are one piece hulls, you should be able to reload them, if you can find the data.

Johnch
06-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I just started back into reloading shotgun shells, too. Do the RIO hulls have paper base wads? I have read alot of cautions against reloading the cheap Federals if they might have gotten wet having the paper base wads come loose and causing bore obstructions. If the RIO hulls are one piece hulls, you should be able to reload them, if you can find the data.

They are a 2 piece hull
But the "Base wad " is plastic

Biger problem with the cheap Federal hulls is the tube coming off

If you reload them several times to max or close to max pressure
The plastic tube can come loose from the brass and go down the barrel when you fire

Hopefuly it clears the muzzel

I have a pic someplace of a hull , I reloaded that failed
If I can find it
I will post it

John

GrizzLeeBear
06-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Biger problem with the cheap Federal hulls is the tube coming off

If you reload them several times to max or close to max pressure
The plastic tube can come loose from the brass and go down the barrel when you fire

Hopefuly it clears the muzzel

I have a pic someplace of a hull , I reloaded that failed
If I can find it
I will post it

John

John, that jives with most of what I've read at shotgunworld, etc. Most of the guys that reload them seem to load the Federals once and then toss them. Which is what I plan to do. Our trap club sells the Federal Top Guns cheap. So I will buy them for trap then take mine and a few other guys that shoot that day (so I know they haven't been laying on the ground to get wet) and reload them for skeet shooting in my 1100. Then I can just leave them lay or toss them in the trash.

Johnch
06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Found the old pic
Sorry it isn't the best
As I took it with my old phone after a hunt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/johnch/hull2.jpg

I load lots of the Top Gun / Estate ? Fed Hig Power hulls
All the same hull just different name stamped on them
Rake them up right after the end of shooting by the target box after a trap shoot

First sort by primer
If Silver ( reloaded ) pitch
If they got real wet , Pitch

Use 1 time and pitch
I use this hull in my favorit 1oz Steel shot duck load

John