PDA

View Full Version : LEE Electric melter Banned in Australia.

lead Foot
06-21-2009, 04:23 AM
I was at a gun show on Saturday and saw a new Pro 4-20 LEE pot for sale. I knew they were hard to get so I bought it. I asked him why they were hard to get. He said they don't import them anymore because they don't meet safety requirements. I asked what safety requirements. He said because of the element was exposed. I said that sounds like bull $hit to me.What happens when you you turn it on - the whole thing gets hot. When you buy an electric stove it has the elements exposed?. the worlds gone crazy. [smilie=b:You can still buy the RCBS melter though.
Lead foot;

dromia
06-21-2009, 04:44 AM
All this health and safety stuff is becoming a real danger to us. :???:

barrabruce
06-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Bugga.

pauly
06-21-2009, 06:50 AM
G'day from downunder . :>)

G'day Guys, I bought one a month ago in Adelaide from Double R Customs and richard had more on the shelf .
For you Aussie blokes the webb site is www.doublercustom.com.au
phone number is 08 82990700 the adress is 26 Pinn street St Marys , S.A. , 5042

Regards Paul . :>)

sav300
06-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Try westernfirearms.com.au Stocks heaps of Lee gear,in Sydney and will post to you.

Or usedguns.com.au/reloading.
Western firearms has a list of Lee gear.

Shiloh
06-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Good communications Gentlemen!! Listing of sources helps all of you. In my LEE pot,
the element is inside the housing. Am I wrong when thinking that the LEE elements on some pots are not covered up?

Shiloh

oldhickory
06-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I've never seen an electric lead pot that the elements weren't encased within sheet metal.

Echo
06-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Welcome, Pauly, to the best forum on the web. Visited there several years ago when #2 son was working for Hawker/DeHaviland. I feel great kinship with you guys. You are good allies in a fight, and tell it like it is.

Blammer
06-21-2009, 11:27 AM
my lyman pot has the element exposed, and it is IN the pot where the lead melts.

runfiverun
06-21-2009, 12:07 PM
the lyman 10 pots haave an element like on your stove only in a single circle.
the lee uses a band heater that is inside the housing much like the others use..

lead Foot
06-21-2009, 05:38 PM
It's good to let everyone know who still have them. You can still buy parts for them like elements and etc. Here's the problem in pic below.
Lead foot;

Tom W.
06-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Well just don't touch the darn thing... Problem solved!

R.C. Hatter
06-21-2009, 09:20 PM
The whole world has now been struck by too many fools makin' too many rules that don't apply to themselves...Look out ! They'll be bannin' electric stoves & hotplates next.

runfiverun
06-21-2009, 09:46 PM
so yer sayin that something designed to get hot,gets hot?
hmm i ain't sure, but i bet that your freezer freezes ice too.

hoosierlogger
06-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Well from where I stand it is comforting to know that other countries are trying to protect their citizens from themselves. Good to know it isnt only the U.S. Government thats doing it. I still think that is a very stupid reason to ban something that is designed to reach a temp. of over 650 degrees F.

If you are stupid enough to touch the exposed portion of the element, Ill bet you arent stupid enough to do it twice.

Heavy lead
06-21-2009, 09:59 PM
You guys must have a Democratic party down under too, huh.

Wicky
06-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Yep, real winners our mob are.
If its fun ban it!!

uncle joe
06-21-2009, 11:07 PM
midway has most of them in stock
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?categoryString=685***&categoryId=8660&tabId=2&refineSearchKeyword=furnace&brandId=1262

JeffinNZ
06-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Exposed element. Nasty. I mean you wouldn't want to risk burning yourself on the element while working with MELTED lead.........

Sounds like a load of cobblers to me. Just import one directly. Customs will never pick it up at the border and never be smart enough to know about any such regulation.

pumpguy
06-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Several years ago our government decided that too many kids were drowning in 5 gallon buckets. One of the solutions was to require manufacturers to drill holes in the bottom!

StrawHat
06-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Several years ago our government decided that too many kids were drowning in 5 gallon buckets. One of the solutions was to require manufacturers to drill holes in the bottom!

Did it work?

hoosierlogger
06-22-2009, 07:22 AM
thats funny StrawHat. Another couple of stupid things the Govt. ruined for us are bug control products. Through the weakening of Sevin dust for gardens, and terro for ants because people could get sick if it was ingested. Now neither product will kill bugs which it what they were designed to do. Instead the of terro killing ants it gives them nourishment and makes them fat.

jimkim
06-22-2009, 08:02 AM
If you want to kill ants try cornmeal. They eat it. It swells up and they go pop. I don't know about Dems in Oz, but they do have the green party. We have the melon party here too lads, green on the outside, red to the core.

cajun shooter
06-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Y'all have to remember that this country also saw fit to ban handguns!! So if they are that nuts, why would you be surprised at the banning of the Lee pot. I had a Lee drop the entire lever and spout out and pour 20 pounds of hot lead all over my bench. Much more dangerous than a handgun!!

testhop
06-22-2009, 08:43 AM
it is our govenment is looking out for us .
wheather we need it or not .onlythay know what is safe or not.

TriggerHappyAndy
06-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I thought that all fire arms were banned and confiscated in Australia, please enlighten me!

lead Foot
06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Hand guns nor long arms are banned just restricted. Hand gun's - No short barrels under 4" and anything over 38 is restricted to Silhouette. Long arms - no semi auto's cf & rm. shot gun's - no pumps no semi auto's.
Lead foot;

TriggerHappyAndy
06-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Thank´s for the info Lead foot, much better than I thought. I suppose Silhouette is a popular sport in Australia then :)

Wicky
06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE][Exposed element. Nasty. I mean you wouldn't want to risk burning yourself on the element while working with MELTED lead.........

Sounds like a load of cobblers to me. Just import one directly. Customs will never pick it up at the border and never be smart enough to know about any such regulation.
/QUOTE]

+1 Jeff,
Not wishing to offend any on this site - I've always said these are the people who cannot get jobs in the real world and have no concept of reallity!

jimkim
06-23-2009, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE][Exposed element. Nasty. I mean you wouldn't want to risk burning yourself on the element while working with MELTED lead.........

/QUOTE]

+1 Jeff,
Not wishing to offend any on this site - I've always said these are the people who cannot get jobs in the real world and have no concept of reallity!

Are you talking about customs agents or politicians?

Tom W.
06-23-2009, 05:16 AM

But now we have those nice little pictures on the five gallon buckets showing just how a child may or may not fall into one....

I hope some ghoul doesn't see them...

jar-wv
06-24-2009, 07:44 AM
I liked Jessie Ventura's saying when he was a governor. "You can't regulate stupidity"

jar

klcarroll
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
As pathetically funny as some of these items are, they indicate a deadly serious trend!

Every day, there is more of this “We-Know-What’s-Good-For-You” legislation passed at both the State and Federal levels. …..And with every Bill or Regulation passed, the Government becomes more intrusive in our private lives.

We need to start telling our Elected Officials; “HEY! ……I can take care of myself!!”

……Because if we don’t, we will soon find ourselves “managed” like a herd of cattle; …With no say at all in our own personal lives. (…..And sharing the four legged cattle’s “future prospects”!)

Kent

jcwit
06-24-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm glad I'm old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fredj338
06-24-2009, 03:09 PM
As pathetically funny as some of these items are, they indicate a deadly serious trend!

Every day, there is more of this “We-Know-What’s-Good-For-You” legislation passed at both the State and Federal levels. …..And with every Bill or Regulation passed, the Government becomes more intrusive in our private lives.

We need to start telling our Elected Officials; “HEY! ……I can take care of myself!!”

……Because if we don’t, we will soon find ourselves “managed” like a herd of cattle; …With no say at all in our own personal lives. (…..And sharing the four legged cattle’s “future prospects”!)

Kent

ThAt is merely a matter of not voting liberal or Democrat. You want to see how screwed up liberal run govt. is, just look at Kalif.:groner:

sav300
06-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Lead Foot,hi. Today I ordered a Lee 10lb pot from Western firearms and no mention of a ban.Will be my place monday.

PatMarlin
06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Hmmm.... wondering what brand of toilet paper I should be using. You think I could write in and find out?

Recluse
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
To our brethren Down Under. . . a solution.

How about we ship you a bunch of our lawyers?

You see, the simple solution--as we do it here in the States--is to simply put mandatory warning labels on everything. Examples would be:

--Do not use your blowdryer while take a bath or in the shower.

--Do not stick your hand under the lawn mower while the blade is turning.

--Cigarettes may be hazardous to your health.

We have countless others, all written by clever esquires with pug-like noses that resulted from abrupt stops by ambulances. Probably a warning label somethere about that, too.

So, we can send you our lawyers and they can develop a warning label on the Lee pot stating, "Do not touch heating element when hot. A painful, serious burn may result."

Problem solved--yours AND ours. (you have your melting pots back, and we got rid of our damned lawyers.)

What say y'all? If you like, we can start shipping them out this afternoon. You guys could be casting freely in a few days.

:coffee:

PatMarlin
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Yea but then our phone books would be real skinny and we'd have to find something else wet to shoot ...:mrgreen:

lead Foot
06-26-2009, 04:28 PM
They must of had one in stock you will find the importer is not importing them anymore. I think you are lucky to get one. I think the stores that have will soon dry up. :drinks:
Lead foot

PatMarlin
06-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Does your Australian government (the dear SOB's) allow and trust you to use propane?.:mrgreen: If so I have a 40lb benchtop- bottom pour design (about the size of an RCBS unit)- I've been planning to go into production on in the near future. I've been casting with propane for years and never used an eletric pot.

sav300
06-26-2009, 07:01 PM
PatMarlin,have been using propane as a smelting source and some time casting heat source.Use the Lee for my main casting jobs.
Leadfoot wicky, hope you can get Lee pots if you need them.

TAWILDCATT
06-27-2009, 01:22 PM
I will have to fire mine up and see how hot the exposed part gets.the dealer was lieing and he knew it.if they had banned them no place would have or sell them.
I am coming to the conclusion we would be better off with no gov. the libs would not survive and there would be just us left.
you poor suckers dont know how good/bad it was before the modern intelectual got control.I do as I lived it.no back ground check, no license,no permits.:coffee:
[smilie=1::Fire:

Linstrum
06-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Lee electric melters are a great boon and make casting easier, for sure! I have beeen casting since 1964 and until somewhere around 2004 I simply used a large tin can like the 28-ounce size that peaches come in as my melting pot, heated over either a propane burner on the stove or my genuine WW2 U.S. Army issue Coleman gasoline pocket stove. I also used a regular stainless steel table spoon as my dipper.

I guess if electric melters are outlawed we'll just have to go back to using what I used for 40 years, unless they outlaw tin cans.

What I would do if I needed an electric melting pot and couldn't get one is I'd simply have a buddy where they are legal get me an electric melting pot and re-lable it as a tool-dip melting pot like machine shops use for preserving newly sharpened end mills and such. Unfortunately the real tool dip melting pots don't get nearly hot enough to work for melting lead, othwerwise that would be a source of melters.

rl564

Southern Son
06-29-2009, 07:44 AM
I ran into this about 12 months ago when I was thinking of getting a new electric pot. I could not afford a RCBS and that left me with the Lee. But you could not buy them in Queensland. I tried a couple of the big shops up here and one told me that they did not meet a safety standard so it was probably that. I could, however, get one sent up from New South Wales, but they could not sell it to me with a plug on the end of the cord???????? I have no idea of how having a fool like me doing electrical work is a safer idea than having the company that made it do the work. but there you go. In the end it all got too hard, so I made a new pot out of a gas bottle and a gas ring burner.

lead Foot
06-30-2009, 03:28 AM
G'day Mr Sun;
Yes the thing about the cord has been dogging us for about a year now. But at the Gympie gun show there was a dealer from NSW, Acme sports pty. He told me last year he bought a lot of lead pots up but didn't sell any. So he only bought one this year. It was a Pro- 4-20. He said he has one 10lb pot left. The importer is not importing anymore because of the element. By the way I bought the Pro 4 - 20 for a spare cost a $150. By the way I'll be up your way in September. Going to Muttaburra chasing Pigs - any thing that dose not go moo & barr.:twisted:
Lead foot; :drinks:

Linstrum
06-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi, lead Foot, thanks for explaining something to me I had been wondering about for years:

Quote: " - - - any thing that dose not go moo & barr.:twisted: "

I always wondered what a sheep would sound like with an Australian accent, now I know. In the U.S. sheep generally say "baah" instead of "barr", although when I was about ten years old we had a neighbor from Australia who ran sheep and as I recall his said both "barr" and "baah".

However, cattle apparently have the same accent in the U.S. as they do in Australia since "moo" is the same here as there.

Good luck at Muttaburra! Be sure to let us know if you get any pigs, if you have a digital camera take some photos along the way whether you get any pigs or not.

Have fun!

rl569

fatnhappy
06-30-2009, 05:30 PM
we'd have to find something else wet to shoot ...:mrgreen:

i suggest aforementioned lawyers.

uncle joe
06-30-2009, 11:07 PM

Kent

This should be no suprise to us, they have removed God from anything to do withe the government, so now they think they have to take His place.
UJ

JeffinNZ
06-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Quote: " - - - any thing that dose not go moo & barr.:twisted: "

I always wondered what a sheep would sound like with an Australian accent, now I know. In the U.S. sheep generally say "baah" instead of "barr", although when I was about ten years old we had a neighbor from Australia who ran sheep and as I recall his said both "barr" and "baah".
rl569

Allow me to explain. It's all a function of the southern hemisphere and rotation of the earth. The letters at either end of the alphabet get a stretch to them down this part of the world and sound more harsh whereas the letters in the middle sound similar to yours. Think of a sine wave if you will

Case in point. You say "ass", we say "****" (A), you say "zee", we say "zed" (Z). You say "moo", we say "moo". See? Extreme ends of the alphabet sound hard, middle sounds the same.

Rather straight foward really.

Right. Now where is my medication.....................????:holysheep

lifeon2
07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
the gubment keeping you safe from yourself

Nora
07-01-2009, 12:24 AM
But now we have those nice little pictures on the five gallon buckets showing just how a child may or may not fall into one....

Retailers are now also required to have lids available for sale with the buckets in another attempt to help child proof the liquid stored within. You just can't be to careful with water these days.

JIMinPHX
07-01-2009, 12:35 AM
To our brethren Down Under. . . a solution.

How about we ship you a bunch of our lawyers?

You see, the simple solution--as we do it here in the States--is to simply put mandatory warning labels on everything. Examples would be:

Warning: reading too many warning labels can cause eye strain.

Pretty soon they will probably try to ban water so that nobody can drown. :veryconfu

Tom W.
07-01-2009, 05:33 AM
Retailers are now also required to have lids available for sale with the buckets in another attempt to help child proof the liquid stored within. You just can't be to careful with water these days.

All the buckets that I got had both liquid inside and a lid.... What is the world coming to?

And getting the whole lid off was a struggle, too. You can't just use a screwdriver and do a little prying, now you almost have to cut it off...