PDA

View Full Version : .22 wrf?

madcaster
06-20-2009, 05:15 PM
is this .22 magnum or ".22 Specials"?

Box13
06-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Heres some info on it...Robin
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=.22+wrf&page=1&qsrc=119&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chuckhawks.com%2F22WRF.htm

old goat
06-20-2009, 05:24 PM
...The 22 WRF case was lengthened to make the 22 Win. Mag. cartridge. Therefore you could say the 22 WRF has the same relationship to the 22 Mag, as the 44 spl. has to the 44 Mag.

...The 22 WRF and the 22 Remington Special are the same cartridge.

...old goat

kywoodwrkr
06-20-2009, 05:48 PM
This is an older cartridge design having being used in Winchester 1890's and up.
So far I have been lucky enough for it to feed in the 22 Magnum rifles I want to use it in, most notably a Marlin 57M.
Real good squirrel load in this rifle.
Also have a '90 in the original chambering-22 WRF.
Ammo was hard to obtain until Winchester decided to make it as a collectible a few years(decades?) ago.
Sold in five 50 rd boxes in a fancy little carton.
Think someone else is manufacturing it now as well.
Or maybe another Winchester run.??
FWIW

DLCTEX
06-20-2009, 06:49 PM
CCI makes it.

dale2242
06-20-2009, 08:40 PM
I had one as a kid. Model 1890 Winchester. We called it 22 Special. Many a grey squirrel met his maker when I hunted with this gun. I, like many of you, learned to stalk and shoot hunting squirrels and the 1890 Win was my gun of choice. ---dale

JIMinPHX
06-21-2009, 02:40 AM
WRF is to 22mag what 22 short is to 22lr. You can fire WRF ammo in a Mag chamber, but you can't fire Mag ammo in a WRF chamber. WRF ammo was out of production for many years, but there was a run of it a few years ago & it is back in production again now. If you want some, snap it up while you can. It may go out of production again some time soon. There are not that many guns out there chambered in that caliber & guys that want slower rimfire cartridges usually just get a 22lr.

shotman
06-21-2009, 02:50 AM
It does a good job as a 22 mag -light load.I was shooting some Sat .That CCi simi hollow point makes twice the size exit hole as the 22 mag. Was shooting at about 30yds at a 2x6 pine board. I was at a gun shop few years ago and bought 15 boxes for $4 ea

Bret4207
06-21-2009, 09:31 AM
FWIW- My experience with the 22 WRF in 22 mag rifles is that it often makes a mediocre shooter into a tack driver. I don't know why, but the WRF seems to shoot much tighter than the mags. Now this was 15...no, 20 plus years ago, so take that with a grain of salt. I do know this, my M 48 Smith 22 mag (such a sweet gun!!!) shoots much tighter groups for me with WRF ammo. It kills out of proportion compared to the 22 lr also. I think it's the flat nose, extra oomph and weight, yet it doesn't destroy an animal like the Mags.

I really am going to try and get a couple thousand rounds someday........

Rocky Raab
06-21-2009, 09:39 AM
"Real good squirrel round" is the key. The WRF was developed as a small game round, and it is a very good one.

If you want that kind of moderate, meat-saving performance, but can't find genuine WRF ammo, here's a secret -- Winchester DynaPoint 22 Mag ammo is loaded to WRF specs. It has a 45-grain semi-hollowpoint. I recently tested some and it got just over 1500 fps from a rifle and 1200 fps from my 6" Single-Six. Using it also relieves any worry about using short cases in a long chamber.

TAWILDCATT
06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
there is plenty in wal mart here.win. $8.29 at midsouthshooters also.ther is a lot of H&R revolvers that will take it as its cheaper than 22wmr.:coffeecom[smilie=1:

Bent Ramrod
06-21-2009, 08:18 PM
I relined and chambered a Remington #2 Rolling Block to .22WRF by running a .22 WRM reamer in short and cutting the rim seat on the lathe. Figured I'd leave it in that configuration long enough to shoot up the half box of Remington ",22 Special" and the five boxes of Commemorative Winchester .22 WRF I'd accumulated, and then run the chamber in all the way to .22 WR Magnum. Midway through this program, CCI started making .22 WRF hollow point ammunition, so I had to try that, too. Then Winchester started making the Commemorative WRF on a regular basis.

By that time, I'd found the hittability coefficient of this little rifle and the .22 WRF ammunition was about as high as it gets, at least with notch and bead iron sights. I've never had the heart to rechamber it. Instead, I've been accumulating the WRF ammo whenever I had a few bucks to spare. The Winchester stuff shoots slightly closer than the CCI in my rifle, but not enough to disqualify the latter at normal .22 ranges, and both bullets hit very hard. The CCI is kind of an enhanced hollow point, probably better for varmints than small game.

The WRF costs about as much as WRM, and less than .17 HMR, at least last time I bought any, so the financial outlay isn't too objectionable. Back when .22 LR was the only alternative, the price differential seemed more glaring, and brought more complaints. Also, the target shooters spread the canard that the WRF was "inaccurate," which, it is, I guess, if your standard of comparison is Eley Tenex out of an Anschutz target rifle. For practical use, it's as accurate as any .22 rimfire out there.