PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new lead pot

Ray Z
06-20-2009, 02:25 PM
I've been using a Lyman mag 20 since my old Lyman pot went belly up. I'm still not satisfied with the down time i have when I'm casting. I use 2 four cavity molds at a time when casting. When the pot runs out I fill it up with lead and kill about a 30-45 minutes waiting for the pot to get back to temperature.

Should I buy a master pot or a cast master pot? What's the pros and cons of each?

briang
06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Try adding a few ingots at a time when the pot is 2/3 or so full.

Jon K
06-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I add frequently as I flux........keep the pot full, temp never drops much and recovers fast.

You can also preheat in another pot and add to the pot you're casting from.

Bigger pots have longer down time, if you let it run down low.

Lots of ways to do the same thing.

Jon

DAFzipper
06-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I've been thinking about running a second 10lb cheep pot to feed my RCBS Pro-melt. Figure to use a big ladle to transfer it over.

finishman2000
06-20-2009, 03:46 PM
why would you run the pot that much? keep a couple of ingots on the top ledge warming up and put 1 in every 15 minutes or so.

runfiverun
06-20-2009, 05:22 PM
i run a 40 lb pot from magma eng and just keep a supply of ingots on the table stacked up next to the pot, dump the sprues back in each time and throw an ingot or two in as i remember.
i get tired of casting long before i even come close to running the pot low.

Netherwolf
06-20-2009, 05:43 PM
+1 on what Briang, Finishman2000 & Runfiverun said. Been casting 30+ years & that's the way to do it. Might also want to get yourself a thermometer.
Netherwolf

Ray Z
06-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Try adding a few ingots at a time when the pot is 2/3 or so full.

Tried that. Beyond really slowing me down if I cast 16 bullets and add metal I start having rejects. I just want another pot that's faster to recover and will keep up with my casting. Which one? Why?

thebigmac
06-22-2009, 08:59 PM
HAD AN OLD SAECO 10 POUND POT FOR YEARS. USED TWO 10 HOLERS AND CAST FOR SEVERAL HOURS. NO PROBLEMS. KEPT THE TEMP UP @ 800 DEGREES. WHEN I GOT 10 ROUNDS DONE, I ADDED THE SPRUES AND TWO MORE 1 LB INGOTS. STILL KEPT CASTING.
STILL NO PROBLEMS... Mac

Echo
06-26-2009, 12:43 AM
My procedure (that I recommend!) is to fill my 10-pounder (SAECO, Lyman, whatever) with as much alloy as I can crowd in. I also place a couple of ingots on the rim of the furnace to pre-warm. When the alloy in the furnace melts, I place the pre-warmed ingots in to melt, and place a couple more on the rim. When the melt is ready (according to my thermometer) I start casting, dumping sprues and rejects back in as I go. After casting a while (depending on 2-, 4-, or 6-gang mold), I use pliers to drop a pre-warmed ingot in the pot, and place another on the rim. And keep on keepin' on. As long as the pot is nearly full, adding a pre-warmed ingot won't reduce the temp of the melt enough to be a problem, at least for me.
Wit a 20-pounder, it would be even less of a problem.

TAWILDCATT
06-27-2009, 01:34 PM
some time ago a poster had two pots one behind and above the other.pouring directly into the lower pot.
I have a Lee and Saeco,the saeco thermostart died and I got a harbor freight
router speed control for $15.it is a voltage control.I jumpered the thermo and plug the pot into the controler.It seems to work great and should keep the temp even as it does not turn off but lowers the voltage and controls that way. :coffee:[smilie=1: