PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Spirits

bmblong
03-14-2006, 05:57 PM
I have been lubing my bullets with Lee Liquid Alox. I don't like it left on the bullets after I'm done loading. I've been wiping this off with a rag but it takes some effort as this stuff sticks like glue. Today I put some mineral spirits on the rag and the lube came off great. The rag wasn't soaked just damp. The question is will this hurt the brass, bullet or overall cartridge in any way? Thanks

Bruce :Fire:

felix
03-14-2006, 06:01 PM
No harm. ... felix

bmblong
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Man are you quick. I was just playing with my profile a little and BAM there was an answer. I only cleaned up 20 .45's with the stuff because I didn't know. I am glad to hear that because it was ten times easier to do with mineral spirits. Thanks.

StarMetal
03-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Felix told you right. Mineral spirits is good for alot of things...a very versatile solvent. Lot safer then most.

Joe

versifier
03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Some people dilute their liquid Alox with it to put lighter coats on, too. I only need to wipe it off in the hottest weather (about 6 weeks around here), that's the only time it stays sticky. I will also wipe them if I'm going to store the loaded rounds any length of time, but that's not often. A layer of Alox builds up over time in the bottom of the margarine tub I swirl them in, so a few drops of mineral spirits before adding boolits keeps it from being wasted.

bmblong
03-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I got a pretty thick coat of lube on this batch of bullets. I never noticed a function problem. I do think they look better clean though. I am going to make sure I don't over lube from now on and see how it goes. Good tip on the drops of mineral spirits in the bottom of the dish. No sense in wasting good lube. Later.