PDA

View Full Version : Lost my WW source.

DLCTEX
06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I have been fortunate to have had a free source of WW from our local tire shop for the years I have been casting. Today I went by to pick up the weekly batch and was told the WW supplier required them to recycle the weights to them. The manager wasn't there so I didn't find out if they are being credited for them. It is good that I continued to stockpile them even after I had a good supply as I have enough to last me and mine for the rest of my life even if our shooting increases significantly.
I did pick up several (five or six) pounds of pewter at a garage sale for $1.50 today and still have some sources of lead pipe , flashing, etc.:Fire:

wallenba
06-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Happened to me too, store went big chain, lawyers probably stopped it. We got a scrap metal dealer close by, I'll pay more, but won't be interrupted.

Sprue
06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Yep, we both are fortunate to have enough to sustain us our life time. My supply is probably less than 1k lbs in ingot form but it should suffice as I'm the only one that will never tire of this sport around my household. None the less, I'm always on the "hunt" for more when I think of it.

I'm down to one fairly dependable source, I only get over his way every 3-4 months. I always try to "persuade" him to hold a few back for me. But, you just never know when the source will dry up. It eventually will sooner or later, just as in the case of Wheel Weights - period.

But, should I out live my resources, I have a friend that has amble supply of Babbit, come worst case.

Boy.. all I can say is, there sure seems to be a LOT of sinker casting going on in this world LOL. Thats all I hear anymore , "well there was a guy in here just yesterday that took them all, he makes sinkers out of them". Thats usually my story-line too though :) Don't reckon you've ever heard that one though..... its probably an Appalachia thing ;)

06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Bummer, man...

siwel
06-21-2009, 01:17 AM
I can dig it. My source dried up too. The local scrap yard wants $.6/# for WW.

Shiloh
06-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Lot of that happening. As said above, Lawyers and EPA fears probably have a lot to do with it.

Shiloh

airborneshooter
06-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Yep, I've made at least 2 dozen stops in the past week, 1, maybe 2 big chains gave me a handful. Think I got about 70 lbs from the small shops.

fredj338
06-21-2009, 12:09 PM
You'll see less available as states start banning lead WW. Kalif. is doen the end of this year & then Oregon & Washington are to follow shortly after. So stack em deep. I have about 600# in ingots & another 500# in WW for smelting. Still looking for add'l. sources.

mroliver77
06-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I look at my stash and think I could never shoot it all up. I still drag home all I can find for a decent price. I am more frugal about my alloy as I have lots of softer range scrap compared to antimonial alloy. I love to tinker so heat treating is just another way to putz about.
Jay

Ole
06-21-2009, 08:00 PM
I got plenty of WW alloy, since most of the bullets I make are mixed with soft.

I'm getting close to where I think I have enough soft too. :mrgreen:

I don't think lead prices are going back down any time soon with the govt firing up the printing presses.

jimb16
06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I've only got 1700# left. My shootin' buddy only has 2400#. It may sound like a lot, but we make shot with it too. I hope it lasts for a few more years. In the meantime, we will continue to grab any we can lay our hands on, including ramge pickup.

jar-wv
06-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I have a 55 gal drum full of WW & about 1,000 # smelted & maybe 900# of reclaimed shot. Still always on the lookout for more though.

jar

mtgrs737
06-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Can you get too much? If you had to you could store it outside as it is pretty stable.

vanilla_gorilla
06-23-2009, 03:20 AM
I stopped by my source the other day, only to find somebody else had picked them up the day before. That didn't really bother me, but I was really aggravated to find that whoever it was had PAID for the bucket. The shop had been paying to get rid of the WWs, so they were happy to have me pick them up. Now this bozo comes in and pays for a bucketful, without even finding out whether they wanted money or not. Now, the owner expects to get paid every time. [smilie=b:

par0thead151
06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
could be worse... i cant get any local tire shop to give me lead wheel weights...
I have tried at least 3-4 times at each of the 15-20 shops in my immediate area. no luck at ANY of them. I had to resort to going to a scrap yard, however i lucked out and one place sells WW at 20 cents a pound.
i buy all they have whenever they have enough to justify a trip there

10x
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
The local tyre shop folk tell me that they can't get lead wheel weights and are now using a steel wheel weight. The days of lead wheel weights are numbered...

par0thead151
06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
The local tyre shop folk tell me that they can't get lead wheel weights and are now using a steel wheel weight. The days of lead wheel weights are numbered...

expect this to be more common...
isnt it around 2012 that WW are supposedly phased out completely due to EPA mandate?
i imagine most shops will change sooner than later, as it is going to happen by 1012 anyways.
makes me want to go buy another 2000# from the scrap yard.

HiVelocity
06-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Okay, I'm going to give away my secret. I too scrounge for WW. One source everyone is missing is tow companies or services.

Most tow services scrap automobiles when no one pick them up or insurance companies forfeit them. Virtually all tow companies pull converters, gas tanks, tires and rims, before crushing. The majority of the tires have wheel weights on them. You'd be surprised how many you can buy for little or nothing from your local tow company if you would just leave a 5 gallon bucket.

Just food for thought.

HiVelocity:drinks:

wallenba
06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Perhaps the suppliers of lead to the auto industries will court us casters will better prices if their business is cut into by state bans on lead wheel weights? Nah..... just dreamin'

captain-03
06-26-2009, 06:35 PM

IIHO, it is not that the sources will all dry up - it is that the days of lead wheel weight are numbered!! Stack 'em deep nd wide ...

BOOM BOOM
06-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Hi,
The 1st part of June I lost my best source. I could get a bucket every time I rotated Or bought new tires. But store gets $40/bucket from the battery rebuilding operation in town now. Crap!

Ole
06-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Hi,
The 1st part of June I lost my best source. I could get a bucket every time I rotated Or bought new tires. But store gets $40/bucket from the battery rebuilding operation in town now. Crap!

So offer him $50.

It's still cheaper than buying bullets.

inuhbad
07-02-2009, 04:12 PM
My main local source of lead (metals recycling center) just decided to stop selling anything to the public. They're only selling their metals to large-scale commercial manufacturers now. :(

This TOTALLY SUCKS! Now I need to find new sources!

Anybody know of a good source for lead in Minnesota?

finishman2000
07-02-2009, 06:12 PM
My main local source of lead (metals recycling center) just decided to stop selling anything to the public. They're only selling their metals to large-scale commercial manufacturers now. :(

This TOTALLY SUCKS! Now I need to find new sources!

Anybody know of a good source for lead in Minnesota?

LOL if anyone does i doubt tht they want to share it.