PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Brass - Part 2 ... Continued

John Boy
06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
There might be an interest to see a cleaning test performed on brass 45-70 cases that was done with a burnishing solution and ceramic media ...
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=6686.0

Shiloh
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I use corn cob and Nu-Finish car polish.
Cleans and shines 'em up real nice. Repeated firings and tumbling shine them up ever more and in less time.

SHiloh

sheepdog
06-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Someone told me theres a cheap Nu-finish clone at Walmart in the car section. Me needs to find it.

DLCTEX
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
All I found at Wal Mart yesterday was Nu Finish at $6.77. The last bottle lasted for 3 years.

Wayne Smith
06-19-2009, 06:21 PM
If somebody is a member over there, please tell them about Buffalo Arms! Last I knew they had everything needed. Reasonable prices, the right amount for one user.

Sprue
06-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Yep, Wally Mart has Nu-finish priced here at $6.77 too. Was just looking at it yesterday.

I'm not too into the bling look. I tumble using general replenisher or liquid car wax of some sort. I tumble for an hour and a half or so... Shoot & repeat.

I'm satisfied to just get the crud cleaned off the brass good enough to where it doesn't collect in my dies and/or scratch the brass.

mrmeanbean74
06-19-2009, 07:46 PM
i use corn cob media and brasso.works great

Sprue
06-19-2009, 07:50 PM
i use corn cob media and brasso.works great

Brasso ? better grab some popcorn on this one :coffee:

RayinNH
06-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Brasso ? better grab some popcorn on this one :coffee:

Yup. Responses are going to be interesting...Ray

John Boy
06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm a 98% black powder shooter and these case fouling is not like smokeless ones. I used all of the dry media, including walnut with rice - corn with Castrol SuperClean, etc. And none of the dry media will clean the inside wall of cases, the primer pocket or the the area inside the case around the web the primer hole.

Using burnishing solution and a ceramic media, the only thing not cleaned thoroughly on the inside of BP cases is the 'dragon's blood streaks'. Those not familiar with the term - it's a reddish brown streaking left on the inside of the case from the igintion of the charcoal. But does remove the most of it

So, cases shot with smokeless will be completely cleaner than new fallen snow - inside and out

thebigmac
06-19-2009, 10:46 PM
i use corn cob media and brasso.works great BRASSO HAS LOTS OF AMMONIA IN IT.. KILLS THE LIFE OF YOUR BRASS IF USED TOO OFTEN...JUST MY .02... Mac

snaggdit
06-19-2009, 11:06 PM
The comments I have seen is ammonia causes brass to become brittle earlier, especially around the case mouth. Heresay from my part though. Sounds reasonable.

Down South
06-19-2009, 11:42 PM
I use pure Brasso.:kidding: Actually I use treated corn cob media and leave the tumbler turned on till I get the desired results.

Uncle R.
06-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I really DID use corncob & Brasso for many years - based on the early writings of Dean Grennell. It cleaned and put on a nice shine quickly, and I never had any problems from it. Apparently it was a pretty common way to polish. The old curmudgeon himself warned his readers about Brasso in later books and I gave it up for safety's sake although after having polished and reloaded probably thousands of cases with Brasso, most multiple times, I suspect the danger may be overstated.
I use flitz media additive now - works good and rated safe for brass.
Uncle R.

Recluse
06-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Someone told me theres a cheap Nu-finish clone at Walmart in the car section. Me needs to find it.

The wife picked up a couple of bottles at Walgreens for me for something like $1.89--they're not going to carry it anymore.

That should hold me for a couple of years. [smilie=1:

:coffee:

zomby woof
06-20-2009, 10:03 AM
I have two tumblers, one with walnut and one with corn. I have a one hour timer hooked to them. I use Midway brass polish in both. I have been using mineral spirits in the walnut to act as a solvent and keep the dust down. I recently used Simple Green instead of MS in the walnut. The results were amazing. They came out polished as if they came out of the corn. I'm using SG from now on. Funny thing is, that bottle of SG has been sitting next to my reloading bench for years and I never thought of using it before. Live and learn.