PDA

View Full Version : Pewter Bullets @ high velocity??

w30wcf
06-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this? On another forum a fellow from Australia made some Lee 120 RN .30 Cal bullets from pewter. Weight was 85 grs.
His intent was to push them to 2,700+ f.p.s. in the .30-30. (Actually, with that bullet weight, there would be no problem reaching 3,000 f.p.s.)

The question is, because of the high tin content would there be tin fouling in the barrel at those velocities?

I don't have any pewter but made some Lee Soup Can bullets from 95/5 tin/antimony solder. They weigh 82 grs w/gas check. I am thinking about sending them down the barrel at 2,200 on up to 3,000 f.p.s. to see what happens.
Lubes will be Javelina and LBT.

Just wondering if any else has tried this and, if so, what the "fouling" results were.

Thank you,
w30wcf

45 2.1
06-19-2009, 10:06 AM
There are a lot of older articles in the American Rifleman among others about pewter, zamac, babbit and others about this very thing. Tracking those down isn't very easy now. Basically, they used a very hard barely castable alloy which turned out very light for the size of boolit. The reports were in line with what jacketed velocities obtained with about jacketed accuracy.

w30wcf
06-19-2009, 10:21 AM
4.5 2.1,
Thank you. I recall something about that but was thinking those bullets that were tested were made from zinc. I'll do some research........

w30wcf