PDA

View Full Version : Carry gun needs help...

jdgabbard
06-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Alright guys. I got a Bersa Thunder .380 that needs a bit of help. As for CCW its almost worthless. Its always snaggin' on whatever I'm wearing, so I figured I'd look into giving it a round of love.

Essentially I'd like to turn this into the Concealed Carry Model. I looked and the hammer I can get from Bersa. However dehorning this thing is gonna be a trick. As I own the two tone model, and it has (what I believe to be) a aluminum lower with some kinda matte finish. Probably some kind of bead blast job...

So if I break out the die grinder and take down the beaver tail, I'm gonna have to find some way of fixing the finish. Anybody had experience with these? What did you do?

deltaenterprizes
06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Why butcher a good gun, trade it in on what you want.

Hunter 24095
06-18-2009, 10:49 PM
I retired my Bersa for an LCP and been loving it ever since. It's great for carrying in my pocket in the summer give one a try and you wont regret it.

Triggerhappy
06-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Ditto on the LCP, I've always got one in my pocket, even with a .45 on the hip. Great little gun. Invisible in a pocket with pocket holster.

TH

cheese1566
06-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Buy a brand new hand file- 6 or 8" and go slow in removing metal. If you use any rotary tool, use a small Dremel at slow speed with a sanding drum only, then cratex bits, then hand polish using finer grits of wet/dry paper.
Refinish using Duracoat or Brownells finish products.
Ask yourself if you are willing to gamble damaging a gun beyond repair before starting. Good luck finding a gunsmith to fix your mistakes or pay his labor rate extremely.

jdgabbard
06-19-2009, 05:46 AM
The removal of the metal isn't my main concern. As I've been doing amature gunsmithing for a while, know how to blue, and have done excellent work on the past. My concern is the finish that is on the gun, and how to duplicate it. I'm smart enough to not start a project until I'm sure I have what I need to finish. That is why I asked about it here, to see if any of you have some knowledge to draw on.

And buying something else defeats the purpose. The Bersa was designed as a carry gun, an as it is doesn't quite fit my needs like I once thought.

Bret4207
06-19-2009, 08:16 AM
You can just soften the edges, stone the long straight parts to break the edges, stuff like that. A decent holster, not necessarily a "fast draw" type, can go a long way towards fixing the catching on everything problem.