PDA

View Full Version : New Star vs Ballsit-Cast Lube/sizer

Maj Tom
03-14-2006, 11:18 AM
I’ve decided to upgrade my lube/sizer from an RCBS LAM II. I’m shopping for a new machine and have narrowed my search down to the Magma/Star or the Ballisti-Cast Mark VI. Any feed back on the pro/cons of these lube/sizers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance…..

FISH4BUGS
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I’ve decided to upgrade my lube/sizer from an RCBS LAM II. I’m shopping for a new machine and have narrowed my search down to the Magma/Star or the Ballisti-Cast Mark VI. Any feed back on the pro/cons of these lube/sizers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance…..
I use the Star after many years RCBS and Lyman sizers. I must say the Star wins hands down because of the production output due to nose down and straight through sizing.
I do have one complaint however. The Star is way too difficult to adjust for the lube groove in different bullets. Figuring out just how deep to set the bullet is a guessing game for me. I often will take an hour or more to get it right. Sometimes I get so pissed off I just quit. I still haven't figured it out. I know that you need to measure from here to there then set the punch to match, but it NEVER works out. I guess I must be doing something wrong.
HOWEVER, when it gets set, look out....you can easily do a thousand bullets per hour.

FISH4BUGS
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I use the Star after many years RCBS and Lyman sizers. I must say the Star wins hands down because of the production output due to nose down and straight through sizing.
I do have one complaint however. The Star is way too difficult to adjust for the lube groove in different bullets. Figuring out just how deep to set the bullet is a guessing game for me. I often will take an hour or more to get it right. Sometimes I get so pissed off I just quit. I still haven't figured it out. I know that you need to measure from here to there then set the punch to match, but it NEVER works out. I guess I must be doing something wrong.
HOWEVER, when it gets set, look out....you can easily do a thousand bullets per hour.

LAH
03-14-2006, 03:06 PM
The Star is easier to use due to punch settings. IMHO.

Swagerman
03-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Fishforbugs, here's a suggestion on your Star lube die setting of getting it right.

Once you have it set right make an ink mark with a pen at the top of the lube die onto the punches side. Then put in small lathe and turn a slight circumference line marking. Then each time you put that punch into your die you can have a visual reference to set it at.

Good luck, let us know if this works for you.

Jim :)

Cherokee
03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Another suggestion for the setup:
Before putting the sizing die into the machine, lay on bench and lay the bullet to be sized next to it, lining up the grooves with the lube holes. Measure from the base of the bullet to the top of the die. Subtract that from 2 inches. That number should be the distance between the top of the die and the bottom of the base punch once its all installed on the Star.

Works for me

Maj Tom
03-17-2006, 10:42 PM
After thinking it through, I odered a Ballisti-Cast Mark VI setup.

KS1911
03-17-2006, 11:42 PM
After thinking it through, I odered a Ballisti-Cast Mark VI setup.

Tom,

Could you please post (or email/PM if your prefer) your thoughts and reasons for choosing the Ballisti-Cast over the Magma Star? I am planning on ordering a Star shortly but would like to get some more ideas.

Also, it looks like Ballisti-Cast's website hasn't been updated for years so is there a different website or is the info and pricing still current on http://www.ballisti-cast.com ?

Thanks, KS

LAH
03-18-2006, 05:33 PM
The Ballisti Cast sizer is a fine machine. Some call it a heavy duty Star. Note the bullet feed. It's in the form of a wheel mounted just above the sizing die. This is turned with the thumb and bullets are fed into the wheel via a tube (not shown). It is fast and if memory serves the price is about the same as a Star with all accessories. The last price I had was 350.00.

I've never seen one of these in person but know a couple of people who use them one being Kelly Brost of Cast Performance. We had a lenghtly conversation about this sizer and the main complaint was the changing and adjustment of the bullet punch. Kelly finally drilled and tapped the punch holder to take a standard 1/2" bolt which he cut to length and diameter required by the bullet. Other than this one thing the machine will probably out last a Star and that's saying something...Creeker

http://www.ballisti-cast.com/images/Mark%20VI%20Mini%20sizer.jpg

Swagerman
03-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for posting a picture of this thing. I went to their website but couldn't find the lube-sizer press.

Great technology but most of us guys too poor to buy their fantastic equipment.

Guess I'll have muddle along with my crummy ole Star with heater and nine lube dies. :mrgreen:

Jim

Maj Tom
03-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Tom,

Could you please post (or email/PM if your prefer) your thoughts and reasons for choosing the Ballisti-Cast over the Magma Star? I am planning on ordering a Star shortly but would like to get some more ideas.

Also, it looks like Ballisti-Cast's website hasn't been updated for years so is there a different website or is the info and pricing still current on http://www.ballisti-cast.com ?

Thanks, KS
I do not have any experience with either company. However, Ballisti-cast is now Hensley and Gibbs (for moulds) and Magma is Star (for lube/sizers anyway). I have found no better mould than an H&G and from what I can ascertain Ballisti-cast lives up to that reputation. I talked with both and analyzed all the information I could find. I like the robust design of the Mark VI (like a Star on steroids). I don’t want to have to replace handles or linkages or anything else. The Mark VI and their sizing dies provide the ability to size more than a thousandth or two (say from .455 down to .452). I also like the rotary design with a feed tube; operates similar to a manual indexing progressive press (like my RCBS Pro 2000). This article also was very helpful. http://www.gunblast.com/Ballisticast.htm

Their web site is out of date and I commented to them about that (no real response given). I purchased the package deal and it is $100 higher than the price listed on their site (circa 2003). After I get it and set it up I’ll post a picture or two and let you all know what I think of it.

seabee
08-14-2009, 01:22 PM
This is a old thread but I am buying a lube sizer and have leaned to the Ballisti-Cast mk-VI over the star. The star cost more fully loaded then the Ballisti fully loaded.. Any feedback since using this machine? Thank you.

seabee
08-15-2009, 01:42 PM
:roll: anyone?

Edubya
08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Seabee, I know nothing about the Balisti-Cast and therefore cannot give you the information that you're requesting. I have two lubrisizers, a SAECO and a Star. I shoot many more 9mm than I do .38, .44 and .45 so the Star stays ready for sizing .356" bullets. The SAECO is not as fast but it is so much simpler to change calibers and I can easily change calibers and run 200 bullets in one hour. The Star will produce twice as many (or more) in one hour, but I spend, sometimes, an hour changing calibers.
If I needed more bullets than I presently use, I'd probably get another Star because I have the dies and the punches that I need. For anything less than 12,000 rounds per year I would just stick with the SAECO.
EW

LAH
08-16-2009, 12:59 PM
This is a old thread but I am buying a lube sizer and have leaned to the Ballisti-Cast mk-VI over the star. The star cost more fully loaded then the Ballisti fully loaded.. Any feedback since using this machine? Thank you.

I guess Major Tom has run off somewhere so I'll try help. The Ballisti Cast sizer is a great machine. All my contacts like it. I could say the same 'bout the Magma Star.

I have 4 of the Stars, 2 old models, 2 new models. All are great and I make this statement after at least 5 or 6 tons of bullets through them. Very simply, they work. I use heaters on mine which means the changing of the sizing die takes but a minute. Once you figure the punch settings and write the measurement, it takes less than a minute. If you have the bullet feed, you can change from large to small in 5 minutes. It is a very simple machine. No VOODOO.

The Ballist Cast is much the same. If you can't get the hang of a Star, you won't the BC either. Like I said in the above post the big fault with it is changing the punch depth setting. Kelly Brost cured this as I stated.

Either will do the job for you. As for sizing, I never size over .002 in one pass and aways run a lubed bullet through the sizer 'bout ever 10th round.

Hope this helps..................Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

finishman2000
08-16-2009, 07:25 PM
my ballisti-cast mark VI came 2 weeks ago and I've been banging out some bullets. I plan on writing up a review in a week or so along with a movie and pics of it.
I've already made some mods to it (one of which i discussed with Peter at ballisticast and think they will b e offering soon).
Short and skinny,,,great machine, stronger than the star but not perfect.

Edubya
08-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I am glad that every one agrees that the Star is a good lubrisizer. I have the heater also. I have multiple moulds in each caliber and I like all of them. Some of these moulds have single lube grooves, like the SAECO #382 and some with double groove #397. In order to change from one bullet to the other, with the Star luber, you must plug or unplug some holes. I could get around this by buying more dies and having each die dedicated to each bullet. I decided against that because I figured that if anything broke on the one luber, I could still get my lubing done with the other.

I've got 11 moulds in four calibers and I shoot as many as a thousand rounds in a week, depending on weather and desire.
EW