PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in the red dot today.

44man
06-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I had the Bushnell red dot off my .44 for a while. Last week I put it back on and if quit raining so I went down to sight it back in. Hot, humid and muddy in the woods.
That brings up a question for all of you! :mrgreen: My glasses are fine but as soon as I put my earmuffs on, the glasses fog up solid and I lose the target. I have to take the things off, clear the glasses and shoot fast before everything goes away again.
Is it because I am an air head and can't breath through my ears anymore? [smilie=1:
Anyway, the instructions say each click is 1" at 100 yd so from a group high left, I put in 4 clicks right and 3 down. I never found one where you could follow the instructions anyway so I crept up to the bull. That moved the POI 1" each. Each 4 clicks was about the same so after measuring all groups I will say the scope changes are roughly 1/4" at 50 yards for each click. Another thing that happens is if you move either windage or elevation so much, it also effects the other direction some because of the small tubes inside.
I was using the RD 265 gr boolit, Felix lube, 22 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer. Every group was 3/4" except one. It actually measure 1/4" and is the closest I ever came to a one hole group with a revolver.
I shot at a quart jug at 100 and hit a shade left, put one more right click on and came up for a beer. I was soaked.

Frank
06-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Did you where a hat?

44man
06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Did you where a hat?
Have to, bugs here! [smilie=l:

Frank
06-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Oh, those black flies you mentioned. I forgot.

Leadforbrains
06-18-2009, 06:50 PM
I deer hunt in S.C. alot using scoped rifles. The season starts early in the year. It starts as early as mid august in some counties. I wear glasses and a hat or cover while I hunt and my glasses will fog when I mount my rifle and look through my scope. If I don't put an antifogging agent on my glasses I have to remove my hat or cover to overcome this. I think this is caused by the body trying to cool itself by evaporating sweat and alot of moisture is being released by the body in close proximity to the glass optics. The hat or cover keeps the evaporated moisture contained or localized long enough to become attached to the glass similar to the mirror in your bathroom while you are taking a shower with the bathroom door closed.

Leadforbrains
06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Well anyway other than the fogging your shooting session was a success.:drinks:

44man
06-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Except I could not save the target. My backstop was soaking wet and the paper sort of fell apart when I tried to take it off. Cheap copy paper. But the gun is set back up for deer. I have to try the RD boolit on one.

windrider919
06-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I too wear glasses and suffer from fogging. I tried multiple anti-fog chemicals and some do work. The BUT is that the ones that do work leave a greasy film on the glasses that blurs my vision. What are your experiences.

I actually did find something that works fairly well. Leads to jokes from my friends though. I do not smoke so I have to ask my smoker friends to save their cig butts for me. I found that if I split open a used butt and rub it on my glasses they will not fog for a day or so. The stronger the butt the more the effect. And I noticed that when I had done that the nats and flies stayed away from my eyes somewhat. It was nice not to have them flying around between my glasses and my eyes.

crabo
06-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Windrider, and what lead you to try it the first time?

windrider919
06-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I was in a coffee shop with the buds and the subject came up. One of my friends is a long haul truck driver and he mentioned it as what drivers did to their windshields to stop fogging. So the next time I went out I tried it and it worked.

44man
06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
How about a big wad of baccy juice? :lol:

jhalcott
06-19-2009, 05:22 PM
44man just HOW do you plan on applying this wad of JUICE??

crabo
06-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Applying it is easy, getting it so you can see through it is the trick.

44man
06-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Applying it is easy, getting it so you can see through it is the trick.
:redneck::bigsmyl2:

JW6108
06-20-2009, 09:12 AM
We used to spit in our masks when scuba diving and it worked, but didn't hold up. A drop or two of anti-fog solution as sold in dive shops will take care of glasses fine. You can clean the lenses several times with lens cleaning tissues and the anti-fog stuff will still be chugging along.

Repeat as needed.

windrider919
06-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, it so happens that I am also a diver [although I admit that I have not been diving since 2005 when I got run over with a car and my chest crushed]. PADI and 'Nasty' certified and a divemaster. Yes I tried the various anti-fog mask compounds because I had them in my dive bag. But out of the water, in the woods, you will notice a greasy film that makes the sunlight and reflections glare into starbursts. Thats on top of the general degradation of vision that the film makes everything slightly blurry. That is why, in continuing to find a product that works, I sent of for multiple advertised products. I have a drawer full. I probably spent $200.00 because they each cost between $8.00 and $12.00 each. And every one has a 'greasy' film that makes for blury vision. It is true it is barely noticeable, but I do notice it and it is very, very irritating. Only someone who wears glasses can know the frustration of wearing them. I HATE wearing glasses and trying to be active outdoors. I hate glasses in the rain. I hate glasses when the temp inside is so different than outside my glasses fog( winter n summer). I hate that when I try to mow the yard or change the oil filter on my truck I am constantly wiping either fog or sweat off my glasses.

So if any of you can identify a product by name that I have not already tried, let me know and you can be sure I will try it.

By the way, In my desire to be rid of glasses, in 1992 I had RK eye surgery and had eleven glorious years where the only time something was on my face it was sunscreen. But my eyes continued to change as I got older [or my arms got shorter, Ha Ha] until I had to get glasses again in 2003. And now I am disabled and on Medicaid Lasic is un-affordable. I mention that because I knew that that would be the next thing someone suggested.

Anyway, about the cig butts: Like we used to say in the Southeast Asia War games- 2nd place winner: "If it's stupid and it works it's not stupid"

BOOM BOOM
07-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi,
Just wish I could shot like that.

cajun shooter
07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Windrider919, I have been using Sea Drops and it works for my CAS matches. Being a diver I'm sure it's one of the ones you have used. I only paid $6 for mine and it does work. I find that I have to use the cloth on my glasses again after about 30 minutes of application then it's good for the rest of the day.

Frank
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Windrider919, I have been using Sea Drops and it works for my CAS matches. Being a diver
No tobaccy at CAS? Leave the scuba gear for the ocean.