PDA

View Full Version : Manhurin walther pp

Frank46
03-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Went to a local gun show and for the first time in a long time it was a good one.
I bought one of the manhurin walther licensed pp's in 32 auto. Of course I had to find something to shoot out of it. Managed to find three boxes of fiocchi 32 auto with 60gr hollow point. I now know why the pp and ppk's are so popular. These little autos just exhibit precision and finish. Mine did have some holster wear but the bbl was almost pristine. Came with two magazines. One was serial numbered to the little auto. And came with the finger rest, the second mag had no serial number. Takedown was just like my makarov and cleaned up in a short time. Next time at the range will have something new to shoot. Frank

StarMetal
03-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Frank,

Ah, another 30 caliber shooter...cool. I bought a bunch of 32 PP's back in the 80's when I had my business. This part will probably make you sick, they were just over $100. I kept the best one for myself and it was, I believe, unused. Mine were all German made. Mine came with the original box, instructions, cleaning rod, and two magazines..one with finger rest and the other plain.

Aim Surplus currently has 32 PP's for sale right now at a nice price for those interested.

I have the Lyman mould for mine too, a 74 gr round nose and it shoots really good.

Joe

Char-Gar
03-14-2006, 01:37 PM
I have had a number of the Walthers over the past 40 years and all of them have shot like a house-a-fire. I have always attributed this to fixed barrel and overall excellent fit of the slide to the frame.

I have a 1963 vintage PP in 22 Long Rifle that shoots like a big match pistol.

versifier
03-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I have always liked the Walther design. They are well made, reliable, and accurate. Just don't let them get seated in too low a grip, though, as they also can develop carnivorous tendencies, at least with big hands. Not that this has discouraged me, the parellel scars on the web of my thumb are nicely matched by the seemingly permanent imprint my Garand imparted when I learned how NOT to charge it.

StarMetal
03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Versifier,

I have large hands, but "so far" haven't been bitten by the Walther. I have shot some pretty snappy loads in them though...out of the book too, which I thought were too hot after shooting them. You fellows know that these small bores are among mine and Deputy Al's favorites. That little 32 acp was my favorite first, but the 30 Luger is slowly replacing it.

Honestly, you fellows that want one should take a look at them at Aim Surplus, because they are gone forever. They are great little pistols. I believe they are C&R too from Aim.

Joe

Stray Round
03-18-2006, 03:34 PM
I have one of the early American production stainless PPK in .380 since the mid 80'.

Great little gun that has rode alot of miles in a ankle holster while on duty. The little gun is suprisingly accurate and I have shot alot of skunks (the four legged kind) with it during the wee hours of the morning plus some groundhogs and assorted other critters. I have loaded it with lead RN bullets and some cast 9mm 115 gr bullets that look like a scaled down .45 H&G 68.

The .380 makes a good little small game cartridge in the .380 but I bet the .32 would be even better with less damage to edibles. Hmmm one of the .32s with the old small MMC adj. rear sights might make for a mighty handy little "kit" gun.

StarMetal
03-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Stray Round,

You're right about the Walther in 32acp. I have one..the PP model and boy it shoots good. I shoot the lyman 74 gr which comes out more closer to 80 grs. It shoots it pretty much to the fixed sights. I thought exactly the same as you about putting a MMC sight on it.

Hey Aimsurplus has them for sale right now and they are C&R.

Joe

9.3X62AL
03-29-2006, 12:39 AM
I am right fond of my old PP x 32, and have owned a number of both 32 and 380 ACP pistols by Walther, SIG-Sauer, Beretta, Mauser, Steyr, and Colt--close to 2 dozen of them. I would have to rate the 32's as being more accurate than the 380's overall, although the sights on many of them were pretty rudimentary. Most accurate 32 is the Walther I now have, while the most accurate 380 by far was the SIG P-230. The Euro mag release was kinda crummy after the Walther and Beretta drop-free's, though--so off it went to an admin guy some years ago.

There's not a lot of "stopping power" in either cartridge, but if your pocket pistol shoots well they are fine small game guns. I do need to empty out some 32 ACP's to try some of the Lyman #311252's that Joe sent me......and warm up Marie's new Mosquito.

Frank46
03-29-2006, 03:23 AM
Al, didn't realize that these little auto's were so popular. When I bought mine my buddy said what the heck are you going to use it for??. They just look so neat. Are there any adjustable rear sights available for these autos?. Frank

Char-Gar
03-29-2006, 07:51 AM
A couple of thoughts on these Walthers..

1) At one time Miniture Machine Company made a nice adjustable sight for these. They have not listed them in about 20 years, but as recent as six years ago had a few old stock sights handing around in their inventory. I called them and bought one.

2) The French made pistols were made, fitted and assembled in Germany. They were then disassembled and trucked to France as parts, where they were marked, blued and reassembled. It was a way of getting around some law.

Harry O
03-29-2006, 09:14 AM
I have a pre-war Walther PPK that is in very good condition. I would say excellent mechanically, but not so good cosmetics. It had lain in a sock drawer from the end of WWII until I inherited it. Sliding back and forth rubbed most of the bluing off one side. The Walther logo is so light that I do not want to have it reblued and probably lose it.

I had some problems with reliability with Remington 32ACP factory loads. Not often (maybe once or twice in 50 rounds), but anything less than perfect reliability is not good enough. Eventually, I got some Yugoslavian 32ACP's that were completely reliable. From the recoil, I could tell that they were loaded hotter (later chrono tests showed it was 100-150fps faster -- from memory). I did a lot of measurements on the unfired cartridges and found that the Remington was made to the upper end of the tolerance range for 32ACP's. The foreign stuff was made to the lower end. The PPK was tight and did not like some of the oversized stuff.

I got about 2,000 cases in a terrific deal at some time in the past and worked up a lead load for it . It is 2.3gr of Red Dot with a 77gr RN. Accurate enough and reliable. One trick if you reload is that you can put a slight crimp on them. The case is semi-rimmed so it doesn't need the mouth to headspace on From several tests I ran, the crimp did help accuracy.

Since then, I got a Mauser Hsc in the same caliber. An interesting gun in its own right, but quite a bit different from the PPK.

Dale53
03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
I wish you guys would quit extoling the virtues of a .32 acp Walther. I have been to Aimsurplus several times, but so far, I have been able to resist. I keep telling myself that I can't use a Walther, anyway. I had a brand new American Walther in .380 and that little sucker cut "railroad tracks" between the thumb and first finger everytime I shot it! It hurt and blood loss became serious. I got rid of it and bought a Sig-Sauer .380 in stainless steel. Really nice pistol but it IS a bit larger than the Walther. It does NOT damage one's hand, tho'. That is a
big plus.

However, I especially do not like the .32 acp for defense. I am afraid if I shoot a really bad guy with one it'll just piss him off, then where will I be[smilie=1:? As far as the .32 being better for small game because of less tissue damage - I have shot wabbits with a .44 without damaging anything (either shoot them in the head or through the "slats") so a .380 is not going to hurt anything.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... (I don't need a dern ol' .32 Walther, I don't need a dern ol' .32 Walther...

Dale53

StarMetal
03-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Dale,

That's why you need to step up too the 30 Luger. I have four of them now, P08 Luger, 1911 Custom, Browning HP, and Benelli B80. All little sweethearts and mini 30 magnums. Lot's of blast, but easy on the leash, deadly accurate, good penetration, easy on the reloading pocketbook, ....well what more could you ask for in smallbore?

Joe

StarMetal
03-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Charger,

Not a pissing contest, but I believe you may be wrong about the Manhurins. This is from the official Walther website:

Post-war production 1946-1956
In the aftermath of WWII, it was decided by the Treaty of Versailles, and the Pottsdam accords that Germany would not manufacture weapons. Walther instead built business machines as they had before the war. In 1950, the Manufacture de Machines du Haut-Rhin of Mulhouse, France started to build Walther PP's (http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/ppm.jpg) and PPK's (http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/ppksm.jpg) and P.38's under license. Manurhin started in 1952 with the PP and the PPK in 1953. The Walther quality remained in these licensed copies, and kept the Walther name in the public eye untill such time they could start manufacturing again. Most PPK and PPK/S models were still manufactured in France untill as late as 1986. Parts were shipped to Walther in Ulm for final fitting, finishing, stamping, proofing, and assembly. In 1986 Walther took over production of the PP series ending their licensing agreement with Manhurin.

Now what I think you meant is this:

lmost all Walther models were produced at the Zella-Mehlis plant before and during the war. After the war, the plant was moved out of the Soviet sector of divided Germany, to the French sector in Ulm, West Germany, (http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/stadtulm/index.en.html) where some models are still manufactured today.

Joe

Char-Gar
03-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Hobbie...I was just passing on what Skeeter Skelton wrote about those French Walthers. Maybe he was full of it..but I doubt it.

Char-Gar
03-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Excuse me..that was Joe and not Hobie..

StarMetal
03-29-2006, 02:19 PM
I think he was full of ****, in this case anyways. You read it from Walther.

As an aside Walther DID make some P38's in 38 Super, 30 Luger, and 45acps.

Joe

Stray Round
03-29-2006, 08:48 PM
I have seen the little MMC sights new in the package on Ebay so you might keep an eye out.

My PPK .380 used to eat up my hand until finally one day I got out a file and knocked off the sharp edges on the bottom rear of the slide and then buffed and blended the edges (it's stainless so it didn't need reblueing). So far I haven't been bit since, buffed off the edges of the tang as it will eat up your "love handles" if you carry IWB or in one of the belly bands.

I think out of a sense of decency you guys should stop talking about the AIM Walthers, AIM just took all my money the other day when I ordered 3 of their K31s.
I don't think after seeing 3 rifles carryed in the door the boss.......I uh,mean the wife would float me a loan for one of their Walters.

9.3X62AL
03-30-2006, 09:15 PM
List me as another victim of "Walther bite" when the pistol is chambered in 380 ACP. The full-coverage Pachmayr grips can help prevent this to some extent, I'm guessing from better grip adherence and less resulting slippage. If ever a pistol begged for the addition of a beavertail grip extension--the PP series in 380 would be it. The PP in 32 ACP does not produce this effect for me.

45 2.1
03-30-2006, 09:30 PM
I wish you guys would quit extolling the virtues of a .32 acp Walther. I have been to Aimsurplus several times, but so far, I have been able to resist. I keep telling myself that I can't use a Walther, anyway. I had a brand new American Walther in .380 and that little sucker cut "railroad tracks" between the thumb and first finger everytime I shot it! It hurt and blood loss became serious. I got rid of it and bought a Sig-Sauer .380 in stainless steel. Really nice pistol but it IS a bit larger than the Walther. It does NOT damage one's hand, tho'. That is a
big plus.

However, I especially do not like the .32 acp for defense. I am afraid if I shoot a really bad guy with one it'll just piss him off, then where will I be[smilie=1:? As far as the .32 being better for small game because of less tissue damage - I have shot wabbits with a .44 without damaging anything (either shoot them in the head or through the "slats") so a .380 is not going to hurt anything.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... (I don't need a dern ol' .32 Walther, I don't need a dern ol' .32 Walther...

Dale53

Dale-
You need one! Funnest little auto around. As far as pissing someone off, there are two factory loads that will stop that as well as some cast boolits that hammer things. NEI used to produce a 60 gr. single lube groove round flat nose. With judicious loading, you can get this to 1000 fps and it will go thru hard oak saplings that are 2 1/2" thick. They make an impressive cavity in clay also. Squirrels are plain shocked to death when hit in the chest. This 60 gr. boolit looks like NEI#73A. They do not seem to list it now. Perhaps they would make it again for 32 acp users. See, you do need a 32 Walther.

Dale53
03-31-2006, 02:35 AM
45 2.1;
You are NO help, at all!:mrgreen:. I am still "getting over" sticker shock on my new .32 H&R Magnum TC Carbine barrel. It sure handles sweet, tho'...

Dale53

StarMetal
03-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Dale ,

That's right...you need to get one. I got mine over 25 yrs ago. I even shot a groundhog with my cast load. Awesome gun, awesome caliber.

Bob,

I can get an 80 gr bullet up close to that speed you're talking about and safe.

Joe

Bret4207
03-31-2006, 06:43 PM
I have the Astra Constable II which is the Spanish made version of the PP in 380. Never had a fail to feed or any other malfunc. Better sights would be nice.

45 2.1
03-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Bob,I can get an 80 gr bullet up close to that speed you're talking about and safe.Joe

Joe-
In a locked breech maybe safely, but in a Walther PP? What firearm you talking about? A Husky maybe.

45 2.1
03-31-2006, 07:46 PM
45 2.1;
You are NO help, at all!:mrgreen:. I am still "getting over" sticker shock on my new .32 H&R Magnum TC Carbine barrel. It sure handles sweet, tho'...Dale53

Dale-
Its such a fine little auto, get one while you can and enjoy it. If you haven't shot one in 32 acp, you've been missing out on a lot of fun.

StarMetal
03-31-2006, 08:53 PM
[quote=45 2.1]Joe-
In a locked breech maybe safely, but in a Walther PP? What firearm you talking about? A Husky maybe.[/quote
Bob,

The load is right out of the Lyman Cast Bullet book using Bullseye. The top load for the Lyman #311252 which is 2.0 grs. Also the Unique load of 2.6 grs. Out of my pistol they are really cooking...according to my chrono, the recoil, and target impact. Primers aren't flat, cases aren't bulged, and gun isn't showing battering.

Joe

Dale53
03-31-2006, 09:02 PM
I ended up at AIM's place of business today. They were about out of the Walther PP's in .32 acp. However, I did look at one and it was in very good condition. It had a few small blemishes but appeared perfect mechanically. Really good value for the money. They only have a few left, so if you are thinking about it....

However, they also had a new S&W Airweight Chief's Special that won my heart. I handed the Walther back and took the AirWeight home with me. That'll become my "Carry a lot and shoot a little" piece. I got my CCW some time ago and have been packing a Kimber Custom Shop Ultra CDP II for "serious" use. I'll use the new S&W when I need to travel light.

Walther, "Get thee behind me, Satan!"

Dale53

StarMetal
03-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Dale,

Gee what a bummer. Hey the one I got is pratically brand new. In fact the extra magazine that came with it, there are two with the PP's, was brand new never in the gun. I lucked out.

Well at least you came home with something.

Joe

Poorboy
03-31-2006, 09:26 PM
PP .32 - Fun gun to shoot, but cuts my hand, so I shoot it very litte. I have thought about rounding the slide's sharp edges and adding good adjustable sights to make a good "KIT GUN". Hate to tell it, but it would be one the the last of mine to go. I think a man armed with one would be better off than with a small 5 shot .38. That said, you still find a 640 .357, P-11 9mm or a Glock 23 40 S&W with me most of the time.

Dale, do you know where I can get a 32 H&R 10 or 12 in. barrel for a contender?

Poorboy

Dale53
04-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Poorboy;
TC's .32 mag barrels are .308" bore diameter but the chambers have to be large enough to load cartridges loaded with .312"-.314" bullets. That coupled with their extremely variable throats (and many reports of "out of line" chambers does not bode well for a TC .32 mag barrel (available only from TC's "Custom Shop" (which is reportedly anything BUT custom:( ).

However, there IS a solution but rather pricy. That is SSk Industries (J.D. Jones) truly custom barrels. I have one (10") that shoots like a house afire. It also appears that my new TC Carbine barrel in .32 mag is also going to be a shooter (still early days). SSK barrels are the correct (.312" bore diameter) Shilen match barrels and are chambered properly. They truly work and work well.

So, there you have it.

Dale53

Blackwater
04-01-2006, 01:47 AM
I've long admired the little Walthers, and similar, but they cut the web of my shooting hand also. Got a question:

Can the rear of the slide be "dehorned" gently, and aleviate this flesh carnage? Anyone done this? The inner bottom of the slide would have to be polished off round, too, since when moving quickly, as in recoil stage, it'll cut like a knife, and that is NOT very "comfortable."

Dale53
04-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Blackwater;
The real solution to the Walther dilemma is to buy a S&W Walther. They have re-designed the tang and reportedly it no longer draws blood.

I had a new .380 Walther and it ate me alive. I traded in for a Sig-Sauer in stainless and .380 caliber. Hence, the need for me to buy a .32 acp is not great (particularly as they tend to want to cripple me:confused: .

Dale53