PDA

View Full Version : 6 cavity "Bore Slug Kit"- Is it possible ?????

44 WCF
03-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Is it possible and would there be interest enough to purchase Lee moulds as blanks, without cavities or with just pilot hole each cavity to make our own bore slug mould.
I've often thought of taking a smallest caliber Lee 6 Cavity Mould or blank block with pilot holes, and having pilot holes or cavities drilled or reamed to a " Slightly Larger than Groove" diameter tapered cavity to cast "Bore Slugs". That way I could cast bore slugs for 6 different calibers.
i.e. If I cast and size 25, 30, 31 32 35 and 37 caliber. The 25 caliber would be a tapered slug starting .250 or so small end up to .260 or so. Other cavities for different calibers, or even straight sided cavities in small increments of increased diameter for a specific caliber.
Would be easy to start etc and slugging bore would be a snap.
I cast and size for several different shooters, who are constantly buying and swapping rifles and hand guns. Now I use egg sinker mould to slug bore and cylinders, it's better than round balls but the moulds are slow to use, and the wire used to make hollow can be time consuming to pull out each cast and the size range is limited.

Maybe there is moulds available at reasonable prices, but I've never seen any.

Just thinking on these "Too Cold" March nights, that can be dangerous too. O

David R
03-14-2006, 07:22 AM
I just pour a few boolits out of pure lead. When I drive em, they expand pretty good.

David

MT Gianni
03-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Hollow south bend egg shaped sinkers from the fishing aisle work great. Lube the front edge. Gianni.

C1PNR
03-15-2006, 12:57 AM
I think Gianni has it pegged for "on the cheap" method. Interestingly, a LOOOONG time ago I bought an egg sinker mould that had at least 3 sizes.

I cast up a BUNCH out of lineman lead in those days, and still have quite a bit left. One time in my life that "I just got lucky" I guess.:-D

yammerschooner
04-02-2006, 04:19 AM
I just paid 7 bucks for a half pound of cerrosafe at midway usa.