PDA

View Full Version : New to boolit casting

Chaplain Curley
06-17-2009, 05:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends ; I am brand new to casting boolits. I have read a lot of horror stories about Lee molds. I have placed an order for 2 of their molds, a 158 swc and a 158 rf flat point in .38 special, as my wife and I are die hard .357 revolver shooters, and I am a Marlin carbine .357 lever gun lover. Could someone please step by step explain to me how to prep these molds for first time use? I also ordered a Lee Pro pot IV. I have been preping wheel weights and collecting lead from all over the place. I have welded up my own ingot molds out of scrap, and have rendered just over 200 lbs of ingots ready to be cast into boolits. My neighbors have given us presses, and dies to get us started into casting and reloading. I am hooked!!! Thanks in advance. Terry AKA Chaplain Curley

dragonrider
06-17-2009, 05:53 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=654
Welcome aboard, the above link should point you in the right direction

EMC45
06-17-2009, 06:56 AM
You are gonna really like that RNFP Lee mold. I like mine!

Poygan
06-17-2009, 08:33 AM
About all I do with the Lee molds, new or used previously, is to lube the steel pins and use Bull Plate on the top of the mold to avoid galling. I don't recall ever having to do more with Lee molds and I have about a dozen.

06-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Chaplain Curley,

Here's another link on preparing a Lee mould: http://www.castpics.net/.

It involves both 2 and 6-cavity moulds.

Chaplain Curley
06-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Thanks to all of you. I will let you know of my progress. God Bless all of you and our troops. Curley

WHITETAIL
06-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Curley, Welcome to the forum![smilie=w:

uncle joe
06-20-2009, 07:19 AM
careful casting boolits, it's more addictive than shooting them.
especially if you use a six hole mold. You can get a PILE of boolits FAST.
have fun
JE

DLCTEX
06-20-2009, 10:56 AM
About all I do with the Lee molds, new or used previously, is to lube the steel pins and use Bull Plate on the top of the mold to avoid galling. I don't recall ever having to do more with Lee molds and I have about a dozen.

I agree: Try them and see if you need to do anything at all. I usually have to clean a new Lee mold twice as the cutting oils seem to get into the metal. I use Bull Plate on the top of the mold, the sprue plate surfaces, the pins and alignment surfaces, applied to a hot mold with an almost dry Q-Tip. If you need to tap the mold to get the boolit to drop, hit only on the hinge bolt with a non metal hammer or substitute. If it takes more than a modest tap ot two then it's time to Leement.(Search the archives for Leementing)

mdi
06-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I own several molds; Lee, Lyman, and Ideal. The only ones I don't have any trouble with are the Lees.