PDA

View Full Version : Model 41 S&W help

dpaqu
06-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I just bought this pistol (never fired it, NIB) and field striped it and now I can't get the barrel back in. What gives? I've gone over the instructions a 100 times and am baffled. How much force is required to seat it over that little wedge thing? I don't want to send it back to S&W unless I have too.

This is frustrating as I expect trouble and difficulty shooting all the milsurp/used stuff I have but I bought this with the idea that I could shoot it without troubleshooting 100 different things.

ChuckS1
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Make sure the slide is locked back. Should drop in, close the trigger guard.

Oh yeah, visit this site http://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htmfor all your M41 maintenance questions.

ANeat
06-16-2009, 07:12 PM
They can be tight, without handling it I cant say. Ive seen a few 41's that you had to fuss with a bit to get the barrel on.

Was at a bullseye match and a guy took his off, we passed it around for about 20 minutes, everyon tried it a few times, someone finally put it in and snapped it shut......

dpaqu
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I know accuracy comes from close tolerances but this is pretty crazy. The barrel did not come easily when I was disassembling it. Kind a put up a fight and then, when I was not trying, just fell out.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi, I've got 2 41's; the short heavy barrel and the long one with the muzzle brake. Initially both were a real pain to get together, but I stuck with them and after a while they settled in/down. The 41 is a very tight gun to the point that coming together with two parts at an angle where the variance is not visible and not precise =no go. It was for me a voyage to the limits of frustration, but as things wear a little to some immeasureable amount + you get the hang of it+ you get used to it somewhat= it works. Sounds like being married to a dazzlingly beautiful woman, but the performance is well worth it. Keep it clean and oiled. LLS

dpaqu
06-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Took it to the guys at Gander Mtn. Their gunsmith got curious so he removed the grips and punched the pins out for a full disassembly. Took him an hour + to get it back together. He had to make slave pins to hold things together while he put one pin in and then the next and so on. He did not see any burs but when it was put back together it became more obvious how it worked. When the trigger-guard is let down a block falls and a wedge fall back, not forward like I first thought. Well it is stiff as heck and if I accidentally close the trigger guard while the barrel is off I have to grab a brass punch and push that block down and it does not go down easily.

Anyway I just took it apart and put it back together 15 times or so. It could be my imagination but it seems to be getting easier. The agenda for tomorrow? Shooting it of course! Then I will take my Garand completely apart and see what kind of other trouble I can get into.

Echo
06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I have a couple of 41's myself. I choose NOT to disassemble them. If and when I think one needs cleaning I jack the slide back and place it upside down in an ammo can half full of mineral spirits, leave it for a half-hour, pull it out, run a brush across the chamber area, wipe them down, run a patch down the barrel, and back in the gun box it goes. They never need much more.