PDA

View Full Version : Old Herters 38 SPL dies

jcw1970
06-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Man am I pissed off. Sorry but I'm selling some old Herters dies on evilbay and this guy is telling me I'm a liar. There are only 2 dies. The first die has the decapping pin and the expander in it and the 2nd one is the seater die. check out what this douche bag wrote me.

Your ad states "I have used these dies and they are accurate and work well." You could not have used the sizer with the expander in it and it would not be accurate or work well. It needs just a decapper rod to work as a sizer on a straight case like the 38 spcl. Do you have the decapper rod and will you supply it? The second die in a normal set would contain the expander. This step in the process is necessary to use the dies and make them work. The inside part for the expander is there but the holder for the expander is missing. The third die in the normal set would be the seater which is the only thing that is right in what you sent. If you dont know whether the dies will work or not, just say so in the ad. Dont say I have used them and they work well. That is false and misleading. The only thing that will work at all in what you sent is the seater.

So I wrote back.

I really don't appricate being called a liar. I'm sure you're such an expert on dies. There is a decaping pin in the stem and it has a expander on it also. the die body is not one size in the middle it is larger to bell the mouth of the case.
And other thing if you don't want them, don't bid on them.

And his stunning retort was:

I will refer this to ebay.

What the hell is wrong with people? Sorry just had to get that off my chest.

felix
06-16-2009, 06:26 PM
My answer to you is "why do business on ebay?" ... felix

jcw1970
06-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Cause most of them pay too much for what's on there and right now I could use the money.

jhrosier
06-16-2009, 08:12 PM

What the hell is wrong with people? ....

Too many self-made experts with no real world experience.
Two die pistol sets for straight walled cartridges are no longer common and this "expert" has never seen such and will not admit his ignorance.

Ignore him and he will go away.

Jack

06-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I no longer sell there and refuse to pay more for a used item than what it costs new.

Quite a while back, I listed and sold 10 Garand clips. A week later, I listed another auction for 10 more clips. After the listing had been up for 4 days and I had received a bid, the listing was yanked. Evidently, in that week's time, eBay decided to make their anti-gun policy even more Draconian.

Nope, I don't need to deal with ignorant buyers nor an anti-gun auction site. I won't go into my dealings with PayPal...

shotman
06-18-2009, 12:18 AM
I dont know for sure but Herters and Pacfic must have been together. I had a set of Pacfic dies that I just sold that was made that way. They didnt work to good as you can imagine. They did bell the case but its hard to full L size and get a good bell in same die. It worked for jackets and gas checks but lead it will shear

jcw1970
06-18-2009, 11:55 AM
They were really neat dies. The worked fine for me. I was loading swc with no problems. The only reason I stopped using them was I got some carbide dies and a progressive press( and I hated lubing all those cases). I should have kept them since they were my grandfathers, but they were just taking up space on the shelf and I figured that someone else could use them. They sold for $10.

Rocky Raab
06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't see how such a die could work. Unless it doesn't size at all, how could the expanded and belled case mouth get pulled back through the SMALLER sizer part of the die without getting sized down again?

That's why all straight-case sets have three dies. The opening in the expander die has to be larger in diameter than the bell it creates. You can deprime in the sizer die, but you cannot expand and bell there.

TAWILDCATT
06-18-2009, 04:45 PM
you would be suprized what works the herter firm was very adaptive I have a universal die with inserts,I have about 10 calibers.one die did it all.[smilie=w::Fire:

Pressman
06-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Early pistol die sets were only two dies. RCBS came up with the three die arrangement in the early 60's.
Two die sets work well for jacketed boolits and not well at all with cast boolits. Hence the need for a three die set.
So, jcw1970 you are correct that your dies worked well. The ignorant fool is the one who does not know the history behind die development, and publicly said so.

Ken

shotman
06-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Rocky They did work I used the set some .They are not as good as the 3 die but the brass will last longer. I would say that a BB type boolit would work ok. I didnt have any at the time but a reg wad cutter would shave everytime. As for resizeing there is not much to a 38 and the 38spl set would not size a 357 on the pacfic set I had. The deprime pin and expander was a set size.

Box13
06-21-2009, 04:40 AM
I have a set of herters at the moment...complete with the box and shell holder...Ive used them in the past and they worked fine except they would shave a little lead on a plain base cast boolit.Sometimes I would use the seater die to flair as it had a slightly larger diameter opening at the base.I went to carbide though now...