PDA

View Full Version : 16 ga grail gun comes home

Patrick L
06-16-2009, 04:54 PM
This isn't really about casting, but I didn't know where else to put it.

I finally rounded out my Remington 870 Wingmaster collection yesterday with the one I've been looking for. I picked up a 70s vintage 16 ga in good condition for $295:drinks:. It was the configuration I consider ideal for my uses; 26" IC with a vent rib. I may clean up the stock a bit and put on a mid bead, but no modifications needed here.

I'm a Wingmaster nut. I now have all five gauges again, making up for that moment of insanity when I sold my old 16 several years ago. All are walnut Wingmasters (except for the mahagony 28 ga,) none of those Express models thank you very much. All have 26" barrels(except the 28 and .410, which were only made in 25") All are older, pre Remchoke (ie pre 1986) barrels. The 20 Ga and 16 ga are fixed IC, the 12 and 28 have aftermarket screw ins, and the .410 is a fixed mod. I mostly shoot casual skeet, hunt upland game, and shoot casual 5 stand and sporting clays. IC is the ideal choke for most of these uses. I will screw a skeet choke into the 12 and the 28 to actually shoot skeet, but only because I can. I never feel overchoked with the fixed ICs. And most people don't realize that for the .410 a skeet choke is very close to modified.

My club shoots 5 stand Wednesday afternoons. Who knows, I may need to take a long lunch:wink: