PDA

View Full Version : Installing the Lee bullet feeder on another press

lunicy
06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Has anyone seen the bullet feeder Lee uses on their progressive press. All I've seen is pictures. Will it work on another press (specifically a dillon 650). Can it be altered to work if necessary? I don't mind hacking it a little, but I dont want to build one from scratch.

Anyone ever done it?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't know if you're aware, but the KISS bullet feeder is designed for the Dillon 650. You might want to check it out.

Dave

Springfield
06-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I bought one to check it out and decided against it. You want it cheap? Mine is for 45's.

lunicy
06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I bought one to check it out and decided against it. You want it cheap? Mine is for 45's.

Bought which, the Lee or the KISS?

I am aware of the kiss feeder, It's $500+
The Lee is $30. I would rather tinker with a $30 piece than spend $500. I ain't rich.

Lloyd Smale
06-17-2009, 06:55 AM
the lee system its a *** on there presses. I never could see why people tried to run it on others. Id rather feed them by hand then go through the headaches with a cheap setup.

bigdog454
06-17-2009, 07:48 AM
My lee works fine on a Lee progressive, maybe I'm just lucky, (or have low expectations).
ps I also have a dillon press, It works fine also, but is a PITA to change over. I can own 3 or 4 Lee presses, dedicated to one cal. each, for the price of a Dillon.

jmorris
06-18-2009, 12:32 AM
I have (some where) photos of a lee bullet feeder on one of my dillon 650's. In short, it did work but it didn't work for long. I would suggest the GSI international feeder first with the KISS 2nd.

WILCO
06-18-2009, 01:50 AM
I ain't rich.

That's why I'm using a hotplate and cast iron pan to melt my WW's. :mrgreen:

lunicy
06-18-2009, 04:15 PM
That's why I'm using a hotplate and cast iron pan to melt my WW's. :mrgreen:

I use the same hotplate that I cook my Ramen and Mac and Government cheese on.
:bigsmyl2:

jmorris
06-18-2009, 09:36 PM
$30 piece than spend $500. I ain't rich.

All the more reason not to throw away $30

Lloyd Smale
06-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Im not rich either and after the fire i have a ton of equiptment i need to buy. One thing i learned early in the hobby was to buy good equiptment. Alot of times you think your saving buying the cheaper stuff and it is either a pain in the but to use or it breaks. Anymore if i cant afford top shelf stuff i keep saving my pennys till i can. I see all the time where guys say they buy say a lee press because they cant afford a dillon then a week later say they bought another gun or a boat or a motorcyle or think nothing of dumping a hundred bucks at the bar in one night. Personaly reloading and shooting are my main hobby and thats where my prioritys lay. Id rather have 3 guns and some good reloading gear then 20 guns and struggle with junk.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
06-19-2009, 06:31 AM
I agree with Lloyd. I've gradually gotten rid of any firearm in my stable that doesn't provide top notch accuracy and I've done the same with my reloading equipment. Though I have found I appreciate good bargains when I can find them. Some expensive items aren't all that great and some really inexpensive items are surprisingly good. So one has to shop a bit to find the good stuff these days, especially with some outfits shipping their manufacturing overseas. Those outfits, I avoid and refuse to do business with. Gotta draw the line somewhere on imports.

Dave

labdwakin
06-19-2009, 08:47 AM
I'd be interested in seeing the Lee bullet feed set up on a Dillon... something for me to tinker with and see if I can make it work a little better :D

Dan Cash
06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Lloyd is right and I am reminded of that every time I think I will scrimp and buy a lee die set which proves unsatisfactory. I then have the $20.00 set of Lee dies and the the $35.00 set of Reddings which in effect have cost me $55.00 plus shipping and agrivation.
Dan

jmorris
06-20-2009, 08:49 AM
The problem with the Lee feeder is the plastic arms, they loose tension rather quickly. It also dropped about half of the cast bullets that went through it. MA Systems used to sell a feeder for the 1050 that operated using the same principal but used steel arms that the user could adjust preload.
You said you wanted pictures of the Lee on a 650 (at the bottom of page), so here you go but I wouldn’t waist the money (again).

Here is a photo of my first choice for the 650, it’s a GSI international unit that allows retention of the powder check die (I think a must have when loading small charges of fast powder).
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/650feeders.jpg

Here is a video of a KISS feeder on my 1050. http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=1050.flv

Both cost more than the Lee but both are still in use…