PDA

View Full Version : Confused, need help !!

TexRebel
06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
If these pictures are the unit I think it is, then history needs to be corrected.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Texrebel_album/D-Day/D-Day1.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Texrebel_album/D-Day/D-Day2.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Texrebel_album/D-Day/d-Day3.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Texrebel_album/D-Day/D-Day4.jpg
I had to scan the original in 4 parts but you can figure out the whole picture, I think that might be the 8th ID, but every thing I have found said they landed on the 4th of July, and did not see combat until the 7th, excuse me but it looks like they are fighting in the pictures. any help will be greatly appreciated , thanks .

kir_kenix
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm not questioning you here, but what makes you think that is the 8th ID? I can't make out a whole lot of detail, but they are deff fighting something. That is a really cool piece of history you have here...could really set some things straight if that does end up being the 8th id.

Believe the 8th was disbanded in the late 80's when some major changes took place accross the military, but some historian will likely set this straight for you.

Jon Schram

GabbyM
06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Not to make rain but. Those look a bit like staged photos.
just to many guys leaning forward with rifles in bayonet charge position. Mortar team with round hanging. Men in the dust of that explosion still standing. Just try not hitting the dirt when a mortar round goes off that close. They'd either go flat or run like hell.
Then the jeep on it's side with no impact crater under it. It's a staged shot. IMHO

Now I've gone and exposed myself to being wrong again.

TexRebel
06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Gabby, I don't know much about the picture, other than it is one my dad had stored away for a long time, the picture was given to him in 1947

WILCO
06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I got nothin.......

Bob Krack
06-18-2009, 10:53 PM
My Uncle was there (not in this picture) and I see nothing to disagree with his representation of what it was. I do not see anything to identify the unit or the date - but my eyes are getting old.

If ya ain't been in combat ya cannot imagine what them that are - are going through or how they will react.

I kinda doubt the picture being staged, but have no idea when or where, or who.

Bob

Bret4207
06-19-2009, 07:08 AM
I think Bob hit the nail- when? How would anyone know if it was the 4th or the 7th or 10th? Chances are there is a website or association dedicated to this that can help.

cajun shooter
06-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Gabby, I don't know your background but how can you see that this is a staged photo? In a real life ass pucker situation people are doing all sorts of things. You don't even hear the rounds being fired or feel anything at that point in time. Would take a true history photo historian to look at this photo and give a final analysis. Later David

GabbyM
06-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Gabby, I don't know your background but how can you see that this is a staged photo? In a real life ass pucker situation people are doing all sorts of things. You don't even hear the rounds being fired or feel anything at that point in time. Would take a true history photo historian to look at this photo and give a final analysis. Later David

Just a guess on my part. Posed photos were common during the war is one reason I look for it.

We all know they did lots of photo shoots with officers stepping off landing craft. Last thing I would want is to step on anyones toes. This photo looks really good. About to good. The mortar round hanging and the jeep stand out to me. Especially since the jeep is dry side up. Fuel and oil fill on the top side. Wheels turned straight. Second mortar man has his hand on the tube almost over the bore? Maybe I'm to cautious.

Larry Gibson
06-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Landed where on July 4th? Of what year?

Larry Gibson

anachronism
06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I think it's a trining photo. No dead bodies anywhere.

TexRebel
06-19-2009, 08:51 PM
to answer a few questions, the picture was of the 1st wave on Omaha Beach on June 6th, the camera was re-coved from the beach later as every one in this pic died on the beach, or so i was told by my father

DLCTEX
06-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I lost an uncle, Lindsey Gruben, there in 1st. wave.

Larry Gibson
06-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Several Google sites state the 8th Infantry division landed on Utah Beach on 4 July. That would fit. The "explosion" could actually be a smoke pot to assist in the landing.

Larry Gibson

Geraldo
06-20-2009, 10:16 AM
July 4 was nearly one month after the initial assault, and I don't think this was that late.
-If you look at the posts behind the jeep, it appears that there are still mines on top of them. EOD and engineers started clearing mines and obstacles early on, and if you look at pictures from after D-Day, the beach looks more like a loading dock or port.
-It appears that these troops are coming off of DUKWs, not landing craft.
-If you look behind the jeep there is a possible KIA on the beach.

My guess is that if this in from D-Day, this is not the first wave, but one that came ashore after the initial assault but still early enough that they could take enemy fire. I don't see anything that could indicate a unit.

TAWILDCATT
06-21-2009, 12:40 PM
smoke would be white and explosions black:coffee:[smilie=1:
there are atlesst three down if you look in the center and slightly right.and you cant tell what the morter crew is doing he may be dropping one down the tube.