PDA

View Full Version : Range lead - A problem??

captain-03
06-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I was talking with a fellow caster the other day and the subject of range lead came up. He told me that he did not use it because of the sand/dirt in the lead. He was concerned that even after you melt and flux it there were still particles of sand/dirt in the lead that would scar your barrel.

I have a good bit of range lead but now am concerned about using it!! Some one set me straight on this, Please!!

finishman2000
06-16-2009, 10:43 AM
nope melt it down, flux and skim off the stuff that floats. flux again and skim, pour into bars. done. Everything lighter than lead will float to the top.

06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
use it. melt it in something other than your casting pot. flux good. if it is not lead it will come to the top. dip it off and make ingots to use in your bullet pot. it is best when it is free.

Springfield
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Poeple have been saying that for years about wheelweights too. Just flux and don't worry about it.

docone31
06-16-2009, 10:55 AM
I used range scrap for years!!!!
Good stuff.
Get it good and hot, skim off the crud. Do not use flux. If you skip the flux step the lead does not solder to anything. It all floats up. Skim it off, ingot it, and have a ball.

captain-03
06-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys -- however, some are saying to flux and others say skip the flux!! Help me undersstand, please!!

Gunslinger
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Can't really answer whether or not to flux. I alway do it as it brings some of the dirt to the top!

I've never had any problems smelting range lead. Yes there is a lot of dirt, but then again wheel weights contain zinc weights, valve stems, cigarette buts, brake dust and all kinds of dirt... can't see why a little sand from range lead should be worse.

Down South
06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I’ve smelted several batches of range scrap and it came out very clean. Your buddy doesn’t really know what he’s talking about. I don’t think it would really matter if you fluxed it or not. I did.

zxcvbob
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
You'll get good lead whether you flux or not. Run the temperature really high and use flux and you will recover some of the oxidizes (a good thing -- especially the tin)

sheepdog
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I was talking with a fellow caster the other day and the subject of range lead came up. He told me that he did not use it because of the sand/dirt in the lead. He was concerned that even after you melt and flux it there were still particles of sand/dirt in the lead that would scar your barrel.

I have a good bit of range lead but now am concerned about using it!! Some one set me straight on this, Please!!

These are the same dumbarses that say WW will wear your barrel down more then copper even through lead has a lucubrating effect and is softer.

Just think about it. Sand of nearly any makeup will be so light it will be forced to the surface with greater ease. If you doubt this throw a dry rock in a 10 pound pot or more and try to hold it under with a stick. You will see a surprising about of force being generated. With a good flux and skim the impurities are very very low.

Old Ironsights
06-16-2009, 02:57 PM
But.. but... what if you have pulverized depleted uranium sand in your range-lead smelt? ;)

mroliver77
06-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I suppose that sand could be trapped at the sides of the pot by the lead pushing against it. That is why we scrape the edges of our pots and stir vigorously while fluxing. If you dont believe this can happen, skim your melt until very clean on top. Then give sides and bottom a good scrubbing with a clean utensil. Where did all that mess come from?
Even IF this did happen it would shor nuff be impossible for said piece of sand to be carried into the mold and end up on the boolits surface. Right?
Jay

Old Ironsights
06-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Easier with a ladle but dang near impossible with a bottom pour...

Shiloh
06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
It works fine. My pistol boolits are almost exclusively range lead. They shoot fine, no leading,
no casting issues.

SHiloh

sheepdog
06-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I suppose that sand could be trapped at the sides of the pot by the lead pushing against it. That is why we scrape the edges of our pots and stir vigorously while fluxing. If you dont believe this can happen, skim your melt until very clean on top. Then give sides and bottom a good scrubbing with a clean utensil. Where did all that mess come from?

I do this as well. Its usually rust particles and ash about as hard as rotten wood. Never the less its good to get it else it will gum up your spout.

But I do notice you always hear this stuff form people that don't cast who heard it from a guy that lived next door to a guy whose brother that used to cast and it eat us his bore fast. Never mind he was loading 20% over max in a 220 swift then cleaning with straight ammonia or brake cleaner but hey it was the wheel weights that wore out his barrel right?

Freightman
06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
But.. but... what if you have pulverized depleted uranium sand in your range-lead smelt? ;)
You will have armor piercing cast boolits! You can take out those "Black Helicopters" and the armored personal carriers also.

BigBlack
06-16-2009, 07:04 PM
my goal when I goto the range if I am by myself is to come home with all my brass and hopefully someone elses, plus I spend a few minutes at the berm with a collander with large holes and a coffee can to fill with berm lead. Then all I have to buy is powder and primers.

Hipshot
06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
If you don't flux you will skim off any tin and antimony (GOOD THINGS) in the mix as both are lighter than lead !

Hipshot

clodhopper
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I always try to bring home more lead than I brought to the range. Sometimes I get a little behind because other shooters are there. Sunday nights after a windy day I go out here and make up for my losses.

geargnasher
06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
If you don't flux you will skim off any tin and antimony (GOOD THINGS) in the mix as both are lighter than lead !

Hipshot

True, but IME range scrap is a lot of fmj which has little to no tin or antimony in their soft lead cores to worry about. No one has been specific as to what composition they are dealing with. Not sure that I've ever lost any antimony to oxidation. Just use sawdust and a stick to stir it in good, scrape the bottom and sides of the smelting pot, this fluxes the oxides back in AND cleans and the same time, no worries about sand or grit. Skim off the ash, done.

Gear

captain-03
06-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys for putting that to rest for me!!

squid1230
06-17-2009, 09:28 AM
All my lead comes from the range. I have one source for WW but they are slooooooow and I have yet to fill a bucket. I used to pick over the berm for everything including jacketed bullets, but the work involved to get the soft lead isn't worth it. I only pick up cast boolits ( and there are quite a few) as I know their composition includes some harder alloys.

Flux, scrape the walls, and skim. Works for me.

Hurricane
06-17-2009, 09:32 AM
You might want to spread that mis-information to keep others from using "your" supply of range lead.

zxcvbob
06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
The range scrap where I shoot is hard lead (visible crystals in the ingots, hard to scratch with a thumbnail) Most people seem to be shooting 9mm j-bullets and .22's, but some of us are shooting hard lead (and apparently in larger calibers to make up for the smaller numbers)

I'm only collecting lead at the 2 pistol ranges (mostly the outdoor one), not the rifle berm (yet)

captain-03
06-18-2009, 01:02 AM
You might want to spread that mis-information to keep others from using "your" supply of range lead.

Good idea!!

jdgabbard
06-18-2009, 01:43 AM
melt it, flux it, skim it, scrape it, flux it, skim it, pour them. done.

WILCO
06-18-2009, 01:48 AM

Simple enough......:wink:

fredj338
06-18-2009, 03:11 PM

Yep, smelted about 50# of range scrap yesterday . I sift it out of the private range berm where I shoot. It's pretty soft, but cleans up great & is eco friendly. The ultimate recycleing![smilie=p: