PDA

View Full Version : Using gas check'd boolit as non-checked

HammerMTB
06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I am casting from a Lee 90337, a 240 gr SWC gas-checked style mold. I am shooting lower velocities and don't think a gas check is needed. All that is working fine. BUT- I am lubing from a 450 sizer and just let lube in where the GC would be.
WHAT A SMOKESCREEN!
It looks like I'm shootin' BP!
Got any suggestions on how I can keep lube out of the GC band? I've been toying with cutting a little piece off a .44 brass and leaving it in the bottom of the sizer die. My guess is that after a while it will load up with lube and I'll have to clean it out.

BTW, my first post here. Been reading and lurking a few days. Great site, lots of info!

HammerMTB
06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Nobody care to chime in on this?

geargnasher
06-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Patience, Grasshopper.

dk17hmr
06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Just tumble lube them. Saves time and energy, tumble in LLA and then Johnsons paste wax one coat of each. I to that with a Lyman 358156 because I dont like seating gaschecks on that bullet for some reason. Just tumble lube let them dry and load them.

mtgrs737
06-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Try cutting a disc of styrofoam out of the meat tray the butcher used to package the meat at the market on. Use a deprimed cartridge case as a punch and a nail to remove them from the case through the flash hole. Press this disc into the sizer die. I use this method to help seal out the lube from the large bevel base of my boolits and it works pretty well. It's a trick I learned from someone here. The discs do wear out after a couple of hundred boolits but they are cheap and easy to make.

Bret4207
06-19-2009, 07:37 AM
You can also try a different lube. Many don't "smoke" like the Alox/Beeswax formulas. In fact the standard 50/50 Alox/Beeswax formula is the only regularly used lube I've heard of that smokes much. It never bothered me at all, but others have mentioned it.