PDA

View Full Version : AfterMarket Recoil Pad For Puma Model 92

HollowPoint
06-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Can any of you more experience Lever Gun guys recommend a good Aftermarket recoil pad for the Puma Model 92 lever action?

I recently picked up a 44 magnum at one of our neighborhood Big5 Sporting Goods store. Got a chance to go out this morning and shoot it for the first time. Impressive little gun.

At short range (50 to 60 yards) it shot some nice 2 1/2" to 3" clusters. That's good enough for me. Unfortunately they were about 16 inches high and there was no way I could adjust the existing factory iron sights to bring the POI down. I'll deal with the sights later.

Another thing I didn't like were the welts that the factory metal butt plate left on my shoulder. After about 10 rounds I really started to feel those sharp edges of that metal butt plate.

Somewhere in amongst all the threads and post of this CastBoolit forum I'm sure the answer to my question has already been address. I guess I'm just to lazy to scoure this site in search of it.

Can anyone recommend a good fitting recoil pad for my new little toy?

HollowPoint

docone31
06-14-2009, 05:53 PM
The .44 mag., can really snap your shoulder. I wimped out, and put Field Pads on all mine. It doesn't matter, Winchester, Marlin, Puma, etc., they can hurt!
I remove the rear stock, remove the butt plate, sand dead flat, unless curved, then I live with it.
I put the Field Pad on, and grind it down to match the contour. I like them really flush so I flush sand and refinish all the wood.
With the Field pad on, it is like a BB Gun. Makes a very large difference. I do not know if it is actually absorbing the recoil, or the rubber spreads out the felt recoil.
I put Field pads on all my rifles. Even my wife can fire heavy calibers full tilt all day long. I match her pull on her rifles.
They all look real good when done. It is worth the extra work.

EMC45
06-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Noticed this on a buddy's Puma. He had the stainless one with the large loop. It was unpleasant with mags and still was punchy with specials. And it shot high too.

James C. Snodgrass
06-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I would say the grind to fit decelarator from Pachmayer is the way to go . I bought a pre fit for my 94 trapper in 44 and the fit is not good , but it does take the bite out of it . James

GabbyM
06-14-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd load that to 44-40 ballistic duplication loads. Original black powder 44-40's shot a 205 grain slug at 1200 fps.

Lighter bullet and or faster powder will get your POI down and left. I only shoot 44 mag revolver but in my 6” gun the difference in point of impact between 8 grains of Unique under a 240gr swc and a full charge of WW296 is about three inches at 25 yards. A 20 inch or whatever rifle barrel will aggravate that. Since it takes that much longer for the bullet to leave the barrel.

Lighter charge weight of faster powder will also kick way less. I'd try 10 grains of Unique or WW 231 / HP-38 under a 240 grain boolit and see what happens. Also if you load that rifle to max power factor with lead you'll probably want a gas check bullet. That's a whole lot of trouble for a few hundred fps. Exception would be if you plan on big game hunting with it or defense against bear attack.

I wear a Past recoil pad that straps over the shoulder even when I shoot my 223's.

fecmech
06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I think either a Kickeez or Limbsaver are some of the best for recoil reduction and fitting a pad is not that difficult. If you want the same length of pull as standard then you must cut off the stock(at the depth of the curve on that gun) the same thickness as the pad, usually an inch. If not you still need to get rid of the curved end of the stock either by sanding or cutting it away. Then drill the holes for you pad and screw it to the stock so it overlaps the stock all around. Take a sharp scribe and trace the outline of the stock on the base of the pad so you can see it. Now remove the pad and carefully sand the pad on a belt or disc sander till you just make your scribe line disappear, no more. If you do that your pad will fit like you sanded it on the gun and you won't mar the stock.

Four Fingers of Death
06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately they were about 16 inches high and there was no way I could adjust the existing factory iron sights to bring the POI down. I'll deal with the sights later.

HollowPoint

I had the same problem with my 44 Mag Rossi. I saw two guys who shoot them at Cowboy matches and they had the elevator blade removed completely. I tried it and it was almost there, but I lost interest in the rifle. I have been unable to sell it because the blade went walkabout. I suppose if I order another in or make one up I will find it. When I bought this gun I was on holidays. I continued my journey and stopped at the gunstore in the next town, where I found a used 38/357 Rossi real cheap. It has turned out to be one of the cheapest, but best rifles I have ever owned. I shot cowboy with it yesterday and I'm going deer hunting this afternoon with it. I was supposed to go this morning, but the cold foggy conditions scared my mate off (his property) off. It is the rifle in my avitar.

I suppose a new foresight would be the best option for the 44.

MT Gianni
06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
I bought a leather lace on recoil pad the 2nd day I owned one. I believe I ordered it from Cabelas. I remove it as soon as it comes in from the fireld as they can stain a stock if left in leather too long. It has made the rifle much more comfortable to shoot while keeping the original look to it.

Oneshot
06-15-2009, 07:42 PM
You might contact Rossi and see what they have to answer your problem. I bought a Puma in 454 Cassul and it came with a nice butt pad on it. They may have it available that would fit other stocks such as yours.

HollowPoint
06-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Thank you gentlemen:

Your input has been enlightening.

I like the way this little lever action looks and shoots but, I sure don't like that recoil.
Because of the curve on the tail end of the butt stock, the upper and the lower points on that butt plate sure do a number on my shoulder.

I've installed aftermarket recoil pads on other rifles I've owned. I know it's not hard. I guess I'm torn between wanting to keep the original look and wanting to keep my shoulder from enduring needless pain.
Going to have to bite the bullet and grind her down.

Thanks you guys.
HollowPoint.

Freightman
06-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Glad I opted for the 45 colt even hot loads are not bad.

HollowPoint
06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I've read that there was also a Model 92 introduced that shot the 454 cartridge. It came with factory recoil pad.

I wonder if that Butt Stock will fit all Model 92's? It would be nice to just keep my existing factory stock. Maybe sell it off later and just replace it with one of the factory stocks they use on the 454 caliber M92.

I've scoured the internet in search of just a replacement stock alone but, most of the ones I've come across were either already cut for the curved metal butt plate or they were only partially inletted.
This generally means I'd have to do some wood carving to get it to fit.

I don't mind sanding and finishing. I really don't want to have to make it fit; and I'm still kind of reluctant to alter my existing M92 factory stock.

Anyone know where I might find replacements that already fit; preferably with a recoil pad already installed?

HollowPoint

runfiverun
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
i've been looking for ten years the best thats available are for the model 94 you gotta fit them some.

Springfield
06-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Or put on a leather buttstock cover and put some foam in it. Works well, doesn't alter the gun. Comes in a variety of tooling options in case you don't want basket weave. Custom made to fit your gun, no generics www.whyteleatherworks.com

cajun shooter
06-22-2009, 09:26 AM
The sight problem on the 92's can be solved with a call to Steve Young. He is the 92 GURU. If you have the gun shooting high and with the barrel band sight he takes and solders a higher sight on and ships it back. Four Fingers he can help you also. His number is 409-984-5473 He is located in Port Arthur, Texas. If you have the slot cut in the bbl then he has different fronts for this gun also. Finally last but not least Go with the pad that Springfield has. AS he said, you can put foam inside and it's a shoulder saver!! His work is first class also!!

pietro
06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
If you have the BP like my M92 Carbines, with the top that wraps over the back edge of the comb, then one of these butt-ugly, $15 pads, meant for Ruger 10/22's and Mini-14's will most likely do the trick.

They're all over the internet/suppliers.

http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/BW07.jpg

freedom475
06-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I have a 480 Puma and it came with a factory recoil pad... I hate the way it looks on the old style gun, so I would be willing to trade you straight accross for your plate if it looks like I can make it fit without removing too much stock.

How about a picture??

Can any of you more experience Lever Gun guys recommend a good Aftermarket recoil pad for the Puma Model 92 lever action?

I recently picked up a 44 magnum at one of our neighborhood Big5 Sporting Goods store. Got a chance to go out this morning and shoot it for the first time. Impressive little gun.

At short range (50 to 60 yards) it shot some nice 2 1/2" to 3" clusters. That's good enough for me. Unfortunately they were about 16 inches high and there was no way I could adjust the existing factory iron sights to bring the POI down. I'll deal with the sights later.

Another thing I didn't like were the welts that the factory metal butt plate left on my shoulder. After about 10 rounds I really started to feel those sharp edges of that metal butt plate.

Somewhere in amongst all the threads and post of this CastBoolit forum I'm sure the answer to my question has already been address. I guess I'm just to lazy to scoure this site in search of it.

Can anyone recommend a good fitting recoil pad for my new little toy?

HollowPoint

HollowPoint
06-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Greetings Mr. Freedom:

If you'd of made me the same offer last week I'd of snatched it up in a hurry.

I've had a little more time to think about it and I've decided to keep my existing factory butt stock and just do my best to find a factory replacement with the recoil pad already installed.
After at least three weeks of searching online for a replacement, I believe I've finally found a source for a factory replacement stock with recoil pad attatched.
It's a stock off a Puma 454 or 480 like the one you mentioned. Before I lay out any money I want to make sure that it will be compatible/interchangable with my 44mag version.
It's true that these little lever actions loose something asthetically when they no longer have that curved butt plate on them. That's why I decided to keep the existing butt stock; just in case I ever decide to sell it some time down the road.
I know that even in the 44 magnum caliber I'm shooting these little lever actions really do a number on my shoulder. Those sharp horns on that cresent shaped metal butt plate on a 454 caliber might make me want to quit shooting this type of lever action all together.
The price I was quoted for a replacement butt stock off a 454 puma was $80.00. I don't believe it includes shipping but, if I understood correctly, it's a finished replacemnet butt stock inletted for the model 92 with recoil pad.
That's less than any of the semi-finished, semi-inletted stock I've come across on the internet; and none of them had a recoil pad; and I'd have to spend some time to make it fit.
My next step is to confirm their compatiblity.

Thanks very much for the generous offer.
This is the second time since joining this forum that
one of the other members here have made such
a helpful gesture.
I'm impressed by this Castboolits website.

HollowPoint

pietro
06-26-2009, 03:51 PM
It will be as compatible as any other straight-grip buttstock made for the same model would be.

As a rose is a rose is a rose, so is an M92 is an M92 is an M92.

They have exactly the same dimensions. etc - except it might need the normal minor fitting ANY buttstock, not fitted to a rifle at manufacture, would.

Not necessarily true for a forend, though - given differing barrel diameters & configs.