PDA

View Full Version : dillon powder die and a lathe

lunicy
06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Anyone familiar with a dillon will know what I'm talking about, everyone else, sit back and learn something :)

The powder funnel in the dillon (650) is shaped differently for rifles and pistols. For the pistol, it puts a small flare on the case as well. For the rifle it does not. If you look at the rifle funnel, it is shaped the opposite of the pistol funnel. (purposely as to not flare the case.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't make a funnel on my lathe to flare the rifle brass? I need to flare it anyway to put cast boolits in. Up until now, I have been doing it with a lee expanding die as a separate step.

dragonrider
06-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Don't see any reason why it won't work. give it a try

legend
06-14-2009, 01:24 PM
i have been wondering the same thing.
at times on my dillon i can screw the powder die body up high enough to get
it to work with dies it was not designed to work with.

the last one i did was a 30carbine powder die,to load 7.5x55 with,and it worked....

it would be interesting to have the option.

Lloyd Smale
06-14-2009, 01:26 PM
ive used a 357 powder drop to do just that on a 35 rem case. I would about be a 32 mag powder drop would work on 30 cal rifles too.

dillonhelp
06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
I have used the 30 carbine funnel to expand 30-30 cases for use with lead bullets. It really needs to be shorter, but it does work. You could make a funnel easily. I would suggest case-hardening the expander portion, as otherwise it will wear quickly. The factory funnels are carbo-nitrate hardened, with about .015" penetration. I suspect a can of casinite would be acceptable though.

ph4570
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I will soon be making some funnels for straight walled cases that do NOT flair as I use the Lyman M die for that operation.

lunicy
06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow, when did we get a dillon rep on the site. Cool.

Thanks

uncowboy
06-21-2009, 11:28 PM
If you are going to make a powder die Just make it like the Lyman M die expander mandral and drill it out to drop the powder. you could load CB's on a Dillon without an extra step. I have thought about this many times I just don't have the Equipment. I thought about having some Generic blanks made up on a Tape fed CNC and then spinning them down with a drill and files . If I had the Equipment to make them I would run a dozen or more for each CB di and sell them. they will sell fast once word got out!J.Michael

Dan Cash
06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I, for one, would like such a set of funnels for -06, .300 Sav and .30-40