PDA

View Full Version : ruger single-six 32 mag.....

mainiac
03-12-2006, 06:12 PM
been shooting the day lights out of my 32 lately,,,, have settled on a couple of loads... rcbs 98 swc and the 311316 lyman. Both loads are loaded full throttle, and here lies the problem. Am wanting to standardize these loads,and they both shoot about 2-3 inches high at 25 yards, with the rear sight all the way down!! Called ruger and a lady said that they dont have a taller front sight for the single-six. Do you think she knows, or could there be help out there for me somewheres??? Should i call back and maybe get somebody else on the line? Could i take a dremel to the rear sight and cut the slot deeper? thanks,mark

Scrounger
03-12-2006, 06:38 PM
The impact point of a pistol is greatly influenced by the way you hold it. I don't shoot a pistol much but when I start practicing with one, invariably the impact point is high. Over a short period of time as I get more consistent and my grip gets stronger, the impact point moves lower. If it were me, I'd do nothing right now but shoot as often as I could. Hopefully you and the pistol can adapt to each other without surgery being required.

Dale53
03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
I good gunsmith can easily silver solder a piece on your front sight. Don't let just any "steel butcher" do it, but someone who specializes in revolvers. Depending on where you live, there might be a Cowboy action gunsmith close by. They often have to regulate fixed sighted revolvers and they have the experience to do a good job for you without damaging your revolver.

For a short term solution, you might look into some black epoxy. With a little creativity you can epoxy a piece on the top of the sight (it will not take much) then carefully shape it to fit. There is a formula for determining how much to raise the front sight. Maybe someone on here can give us the formula. It'll save you a bit of work.

Dale53

Blackwater
03-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Regarding POI with single actions, I've sometimes found that the trumpet shaped grips can make POI go higher for some folks. Before welding on the front sight, or modifying the rear, I think I'd sand off some of the flare at the bottom of those grips. It may (?) be just enough to move your POI far enough down that it'll shoot dead on for you. I know that .32 doesn't have a lot of felt recoil, but it still may be enough to do what you want. No guarantee, but it's a better option, at first at least, than welding on the front sight.

BTW, I don't think I'd ever cut on the top strap. That will weaken the frame.

mainiac
03-12-2006, 09:58 PM
this is one of the good 32,s has a adjustable rear sight!! Didnt relize that people might think i had the fixed sight groove thing! ha!

mainiac
03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
would like to get this beast shooting dead on because it is by far the most consistantly accurate handgun,ive ever owned/shot!

475WLN
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I Believe the equation you are looking for is: sight radius divided by 900 = the amount of front sight adjustment need to move point of impact 1" at 25yds.

If I have missed stated feel free to correct, but feel this is the correct formula.