PDA

View Full Version : Need 30-30 Marlin help w/CB's

Preacher
03-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey folks; just signed on and this sight looks to be one of the better forums I've seen. A lot of good info.

So...As a fledgling caster I've done rather well with revolver bullets and accuracy; mainly cast and load for 357, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt. But with my Marlin 336 T (circa 1980's) in 30-30 and commercial cast (no GC) 165 gr. flat nose bullets, I've been stumped. Quit on this project years ago but finding this sight has renewed my interest.

Here's my delema: The bullets are made by National Bullet Co. and look like good stuff. I used 16.0 gr. of SR 4759 powder sparked by R-P 9 1/2 primers. OAL was 2.542". Velocity was a chronographed 1561 fps. I also used 8.0 & 8.5 gr. of Unique with the same boolit at about 1250 fps. Accuracy was very good at 50 yd. most in about an inch or so. The problem was the first shot out of a cool, or clean, or conditioned (meaning fowled) but cool, barrel would throw the boolit up to 6 inches away from point of aim with the remaining boolits going into a nice group right where they were supposed to be landing. Happened every time which meant it was a bust for hunting. If I kept on shooting there was no problem. But if I quit for any length of time the first shot would again be that crazy flyer, then things would fall back into place. Haven't a clue as to what's going on here. Any insight or advice would be appreciated as I would really like to get this old marlin shooting lead. Thanks much.

Preacher

45 2.1
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Strip the lube off of those commercial boolits that came on them and use the lube you put on your own cast boolits and retry.

mag_01
03-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the cast boolit form---I use a lee 160 gr. gas checked with 21.5 or 22 grs. of AA5744---If u try this load work up from17 grs. or so---this is a powerfull load---22 will penatrate a steel plate about 3/8 thickness- with nice clean punched holes-----If u get ur address to me I will send you some of the 160 g/ck. boolits to try-----------------Tom :lovebooli

lovedogs
03-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I certainly don't claim to have all the correct answers but since it shoots off when cold and then stays constant after warmed could it be you have a bedding or barrel harmonics type problem? Could there be a place under your forearm or a tightening under a barrel band that's acting as a stabilizing pressure point once the barrel heats or moves slightly? I've seen this in bolt actions and usually by playing with free-floating or pressure points it could be cured. It may take some figuring and experimenting with a lever gun to figure this out.

Preacher
03-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks folks. I think I'll try relubing the bullets first. Don't think it's any bedding problems as j word type bullets shoot extremly well with no first shot flyer; even at velocities around 1500 fps. Mag 01 thanks for the offer, very kind. If relubing doesn't work I'll give you a hollar.

Preacher