PDA

View Full Version : Lead Mix Formula

SWANEEDB
06-12-2009, 02:26 PM
New at this boolit casting so I know I'll get good responce from this forum. I've been doing alot of melting of clip on w/w's into ingot form, now I need to know what ratio (lb per lb) of w/w and linotype to use, I don't use gas checks and my loads are sloooooooooow- 8 to 9 fps, however some of these boolits will be sold for others to load, I don't want any complaints of leading to a high degree, I'll be using rooster liquid lube and also a stick lube. OK, have at it gang. Thanks for all, Dave.
:p

fredj338
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
IMO, for 800-900fps loads, straight ww are fine. If you want to harden them more you can water drop. If you just want to use lino, then 10-1 lead-lino ratio will firm them up just fine for shooting to 1300fps+.

sheepdog
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Nope. Go read stickies, then read this (http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm) , then if you still don't have your answer come back and tell us what load, caliber, and bore slug measurements are and we'll see what we can do.

runfiverun
06-12-2009, 11:00 PM
i can push plain ol ww's up to and maybe over 1600 fps without a g/c in some of my guns with a good flat base design.
the bevel base seems to give out at around 1400 in rifles.
i like to mix ww's and soft lead at 20-25% when water dropping.
the hard alloy is fine for lots of stuff but for the majority of shooting the lower bhn's will do just fine.