PDA

View Full Version : Use mica in powder dispenser?

wallenba
06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Has anyone tried mica in their powder dispenser? I'm considering this, but don't know if it will help or make things worse. I got a Perfect Powder Measure from Lee, pushed a full hopper of powder through it twice and it still has a slight inconsistancy. At first it will be dead on for 3-4 throws, then off 2 or 3 tenths. Still pretty good but not acceptable for the light load 38 spl wadcutter I got it for. I'm impressed with it as is compared to my old expensive stuff. But I think if it could throw 3-4 dead on in a row it should be capable of throwing them all dead on. I am using Unique which I know to be finicky too.

montana_charlie
06-12-2009, 11:44 AM
How would you eveluate your 'technique' when operating a powder measure. Some guys move the handle with as little disturbance to the contents as possible. Others beat the crap out of their measures...especially those that come with hammers already mounted.

Consistent drops come from consistent handling.

And, finally, I never go with the weight dropped by a measuring chamber that I have just made an adjustment to. I always run two charges through it before weighing the result of the new setting.

CM

wallenba
06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I move it to the top, give the chargebody a flick with my index finger, drop the charge, flick it again. Nothing violent, just enough to settle the powder. My real concern is that this measure is plastic, and though mica is a dry lubricant it might have some abrasive properties over time.

EMC45
06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
How about powdered graphite? Most powders are treated with it anyway. Also have a LPPM. I love it! My Uniflow doesn't get used anymore!

wallenba
06-12-2009, 06:33 PM
EMC45, I could not get acceptable results with the Uniflow or the Little Dandy. Been using the Lee Auto disk dispensers set up on my turret press die disks with the update kits, they're great for plinkers. Have an RCBS Chargemater 1500 that throws perfect charges for my target gun, but it is way too slow. That's why I was willing to try the LPPM. I can see it's potential but need to get the flow friction out of it.

hpdrifter
06-14-2009, 12:28 AM
wallenba and others, if you're not interested in using the LPPM with automatic operation at a later date, you can do as Mr. Lee suggests in Modern Reloading; Second Edition and cut the little(~1/8") teet off of the drum stop on the "dump" cycle. This will allow the dispenser to go completely verticle. This has stopped my measure from varying .2-.3 at times to pret near dead nuts all of the time.

I also use a small piece of aluminum tubing to mount my LPPM into a Lee powder thru die and charge during the cycle in the CLassic turret. In my case it is a golf shaft extension I procured thru Golfsmith when I was building golf clubs. It works as a riser also.

shotman
06-14-2009, 12:55 AM
3 or 4 tens is not a big deal with unique. Bullseye yes. One thing I did find. If you have a vibrating shell cleaner set up on bench near where you load. That will keep powder drops more consistant

Cowboy5780
06-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Gives the lee auto-disk a nod seems to work pretty good for me

DLCTEX
06-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I have both the LPPM and some Auto Discs and find them more consistent than my Lyman 55 and my RCBS measures. The most important thing I have found is to be consistent in whatever method you use, but some tapping to settle the powder seems best on the drum types.

EMC45
06-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I try to be as consistent as possible every time. I do a little tap on the up stroke and drop in the case. It works great. I think mine had a break in period and now it is dead on.

wallenba
06-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Shotman, The start load and max load for my 38 spl. 148 Grain wadcutter only vary by .5 grains, so a little is a lot here.

wallenba
06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks hpdrifter, for knockin' the noggin. I read that once, did'nt remember til you mentioned it

Marlinreloader
06-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Wallenba,
Another thing that helps is to wipe tthe inside and outside of the hopper down with a used dryer sheet from the dryer like "bounce". Helps alot, and then store with sheets in the hopper after you empty the powder.

Marlinreloader

Ben
06-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Unique isn't the easiest powder to run through a measure and hope of small variations in the powder thrown.

You might do better with a different powder that will meter better.

Ben

Down South
06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
A lot of good responses. Like said, being consistent is a must. Some like to tap on the measure and some don’t. Another good point is some powders meter better than others. I try to find powders that meter well that will work well with my application.