PDA

View Full Version : barrel twist fot martini

Frank46
06-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Few questions here. I have a BSA 12/15 martini in 22rf. I'd like to get it either rebored or rbarrelled to one of two calibers. 1st off would be the 32 -20 as I have a few molds for that cartridge. Second is getting it either rebored or rebarrelled to 38special like for a small game rifle. Now here is where it gets sticky. The origional rifling twist on the 32-20 was 1x20 twist. Ok I'm fine with that. But completely in the dark about the proper twist for the 38 special. And some of you may be asking why the 38special. Well it shoots a little heavier bullet than the 32-20 and in a long barrel can allow the powder gases to do more work. I'm thinking about 1300-1400 feet per second. Fellow levergun shooter's can you give me an idea of how fast a 158wsc can be launched out of a 27" long barrel. And what twist would perform better. I have a chance to pick upa douglas blank that has been drilled 38 caliber and has a 1x14 twist. I would prefer the 38special as I have a 40mm ammo can full of 38 special brass. I also have a complete set of center fire innards for the 12/15 martini so it can be converted to center fire. Thanks for your help. Frank

sav300
06-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Hi Frank, had a martini cadet converted to 357 magnum and I had the gunsmith install a 1 in 18 twist and it shoots great.Cast and jacketed.So I think your 1 in 14 maybe good for heavy projectiles.
Sav300

Frank46
06-12-2009, 11:45 PM
sav300, thanks for the info. I seem to remember (CRS) about the twist differences between smith and wesson and colt. but darned if I can remember what they were.
Frank

Frank46
06-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Did some research this evening. Lyman cast bullets handbook has a list of twists used by most manufacturers and colt used the 1x14 twist. Just in case anyone besides me needs to know. Frank

358wcf
07-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Frank- your plan is a GREAT one! Go with the .357 barrel and the 14" twist, as you'll be pleased- especially with heavier bullets, even at relatively low velocities.
My Martini Cadet was rebored to .357 Magnum back in 1976, and has brought me a lot of fine times and memories. My twist is 1 in 18", same as Smith & Wesson use in revolvers of that caliber.
With the magnum chambering, it does extremely well with mild 38 Special loadings, and is capable of launching 158 grain jacketed bullets (in factory 357 loads) at 1850 chronographed FPS- Besides numerous small game, this rifle and load has taken 6 California Blacktail bucks, all one shot, clean kills.
Keep the barrel near the original light contour for easy handling, and you will be pleased!!!!!

358wcf

Frank46
07-12-2009, 01:05 AM
358wcf, actually have three small martini's. 2 in 22rf and one cadet. one of them is going to be a centerfire cast boolit rifle. One will stay in 22rf and unsure what to do with the cadet. been working on the 22rf model 12/15 wood. unfortunately the forend needed 6 plugs as somewhere in time a rabid termite got at it. Seems it was probably a club rifle at one time and was rather sloppily drilled for sling swivels. have all the crummy varnish off and so far sanded down to 320 grit. About the only problem is with the breech end of the forend. How does one square it up to the front of the action so the lines remain clean and sharp?. Haven't touched that part of the forend at this time until I did some brain storming. Frank

Jumptrap
07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
358wcf, actually have three small martini's. 2 in 22rf and one cadet. one of them is going to be a centerfire cast boolit rifle. One will stay in 22rf and unsure what to do with the cadet. been working on the 22rf model 12/15 wood. unfortunately the forend needed 6 plugs as somewhere in time a rabid termite got at it. Seems it was probably a club rifle at one time and was rather sloppily drilled for sling swivels. have all the crummy varnish off and so far sanded down to 320 grit. About the only problem is with the breech end of the forend. How does one square it up to the front of the action so the lines remain clean and sharp?. Haven't touched that part of the forend at this time until I did some brain storming. Frank

Frank,

Please don't kill the Cadet! I have an original Cadet that put together from parts that a friends from 3 different locations, gave to me......to make a complete gun........I love that little rifle.

I also have a rebarreled Cadet action with a 7-30 Waters barrel attached. I never did finish stocking that barreled action.........I lost interest in it after shooting less than 100 rounds....probably less than 50 rounds! I got the original Cadet put together about the time I was building the 7-30, ordered a CBE mold from down-under and swore I would never ever butcher another perfectly fine rifle.....like the Cadet.

If you or anybody else is interested in a nice Martini project rifle barreled in 7-30 waters and willing to trade an original Cadet for it.......let me know. I'll also welcome left-over Cadet parts.....original barrels and wood, sights, etc.

Frank46
07-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Jumptrap, should have said cadet action with origional stock set. I do have a cadet bbl that came off another rifle that has a nice bore but the outside is freckled with very fine pitting. Another one of those "when I get the money projects". Frank

358wcf
07-18-2009, 06:11 PM
These are my un-altered Cadets, both are centerfire .310- The bottom one with the vernier-adjustable windage and elevation sight is a keeper for me-
I might consider working something out with you as a project- (am I nuts? another project???)
Shoot me photos of what you have and what you have in mind-

358wcf

Frank46
07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
358wcf, the barrel I described is the lower one with the windage and elevation rear sight like you described. The action has been cleaned up and is slightly polished. Still have the origional wood that came with the action. Am giving some serious thought into making it into a 32-20 as I have a barrel blank 26" long, .311 1x20 twist. That is if and when i get enough money together. Haven't really considered selling it as of yet. Frank