PDA

View Full Version : Using a new rim remover

MightyThor
06-12-2009, 12:20 AM
I bought a new rim removing die from The Shooter's Shack on e-bay and it works as well as anything I made myself and I liked the design extremely well. Essentially three main components, the punch fits a standard RCBS shell holder base. The rim removal die is a small hardened cylinder with a chamfer at the entrance. That die fits inside a simple die holder that threads into the top of the press. The die is held in the Holder by another threaded piece that screws into the top of the holder. The beauty of this design is that the critical part is the smallest and therefore requires less work than some other designs. Also allows you to swap other dies into same holder. You could use this same setup to size cores.

ETG
06-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Sounds just like Blackmons de-rimmer. Easy to make different inserts. I bought some 5/8" O1 tool steel to make a sizing die for pulled 223 projos.

MightyThor
06-12-2009, 01:16 AM
The down side is that everything is VERY HARD. I already snapped the punch when it slipped out of my butter fingers and hit the floor. snapped right at the threads where it meets the base. Not sure why the bottom of the punch has to be so hard. In knife making we learn to draw temper out of the back of the blade so it is not so brittle.

ETG
06-12-2009, 01:35 AM
I made my own punch and die before I received the one I ordered from Blackmon. Made the punch out of a hardened dowell pin (5mm if I remember right). Annealed one end and threaded it to fit the base.

trevj
06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Do you clean out the burnt residue before derimming? With what?

Just hooked myself up with a set of Corbin "free bullets" dies, and pondering a starting position.

Cheers
Trev

MightyThor
06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Do you clean out the burnt residue before derimming? With what?

Just hooked myself up with a set of Corbin "free bullets" dies, and pondering a starting position.

Cheers
Trev

I usually just wash them with hot water and Dawn detergent. Didn't used to until had one Go bang. Seems you can have unburned primer compound.

Maximilian225
06-15-2009, 10:41 PM
David Corbin's book recommends boiling the cases in water and detergent followed by a second boil in plain water. Than baking in a 600 oven for 20 minutes to dry and anneal before drawing.

-Max