PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot!!

bravokilo
04-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Got a use for one of these? (let's see if this works)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7506867856&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
eBay item 7506867856 (Ends Apr-14-05 22:57:59 PDT) - ATLAS LOGAN SOUTH BEND LATHE FACEPLATE 10" 1 1/2" -8

Buckshot
04-13-2005, 01:27 AM
.............bravokilo, well that's a nicely done faceplate. Plenty of clampholes, that's for sure! I can't use it though as it for a spindlenose threaded 1-1/2-8. My Logan has an L00 (long taper) nose. Sure appreciate you notifying me though! That thread is unusual for a 10" faceplate. Most lathes largte enough to use that size would have a 2-1/4-8 thread (if threaded).

.............Buckshot

bravokilo
04-13-2005, 06:49 AM
At least I remembered it was a Logan!! Didn't have a clue as to the spindle arrangement. What I really want to know is who was that bored and how long did it take to drill and tap all those holes?? And some people think I have too much time on my hands!!!

BK

Buckshot
04-13-2005, 11:35 PM
At least I remembered it was a Logan!! Didn't have a clue as to the spindle arrangement. What I really want to know is who was that bored and how long did it take to drill and tap all those holes?? And some people think I have too much time on my hands!!!

BK

.........Yes you did remember it was a Logan! I have no idea how long it would take to drill all those holes. But before that each one had to ba laid out. They're not laid out on lines radiating from the center, with increasing rind diameters.

But besides laying out and then centerpunching all the holes and drilling, each is also chamfered. Then they were all tapped. A lot of work, no doubt. Another oddity is that that threaded nose is blind. Usually there is a hole completly through so you can use a center. Odd, but a nice piece of work in any event.

BTW, an old junked disc brake rotor can make a nice faceplate.

................Buckshot

carpetman
04-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Besides mounting a light fixture with that,you could put on a ceiling fan.