PDA

View Full Version : What Size Rowell Ladle

Beau Cassidy
06-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I am looking for something a little larger than the Lyman ladle. I have a Rowell No. 4 and it is just for smelting. I was looking at the number 1 or 2. I am looking for something to hold enough lead to do 4 large bullets without having to rescoope as I am about to go to nothing but ladle casting.

Thanks.

dromia
06-11-2009, 01:43 AM
I use the No 1 for large BP boolits and find it well big enough for me. Anything larger would be too heavy for a decent pouring session.

Bret4207
06-11-2009, 07:54 AM
I use a #1 with a shortened handle for my larger moulds and boolits. As Dromia says, anything larger is too big to handle easily.

Beau Cassidy
06-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks, fellas. I am glad I asked because I was about to get the number 2.

BABore
06-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Yep, a Rowell #1 with short handle. Use a small, triangular file to put a deep vee in the pour spout for a finer pour.

GLL
06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I use the #1 with the shortened handle rod and BABore's triangular "V" in the spout as well ! :)

Jerry

Beau Cassidy
06-11-2009, 11:39 AM
How much larger is it than the Lyman?

BABore
06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
The Rowell #1 holds a lb of alloy. I naver weighed the other two. I would guess that the Lyman holds 3 ounces and the RCBS goes 4+. The RCBS also has a scraping fin on the bottom. The big deal about the Rowell is that is is a bottom pour ladle so crud is the last thing out the spout. About the only bad point of the Rowell is that you can't pressure pour from it like the other two. If you have a multi-cavity mold that will pour well with the Rowell, you'll give a bottom pour pot a run for the money.

mtgrs737
06-11-2009, 01:47 PM
When I was in the market for a ladle I contacted the Antimony Man, Bill furguson. After he asked a few questions about what I would be doing with the ladle I went with his recomendation. He is very knowlegable and a good man to work with. I highly recomend him. You can contact him at:

WWW.theantimonyman.com

If you don't have a good thermometer yet take look at what Bill is offering, You won't be disapointed working with Bill!

dromia
06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
When I was in the market for a ladle I contacted the Antimony Man, Bill furguson. After he asked a few questions about what I would be doing with the ladle I went with his recomendation. He is very knowlegable and a good man to work with. I highly recomend him. You can contact him at:

WWW.theantimonyman.com (http://WWW.theantimonyman.com)

If you don't have a good thermometer yet take look at what Bill is offering, You won't be disapointed working with Bill!

I concur, Bill is knowledgeable and sensible. I can wholeheartedly recommend dealing with him, I got my Rowell's from him.