PDA

View Full Version : Russian Powder from Surplus 762x54 ammo

jh45gun
06-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Any one know what this powder would come close to with any American brands as far as how fast or slow it is? Reason I am asking a friend has a bunch he wants to pull the bullets and then put sabots and 22 cal bullets in and shoot them. I told him I would try to find out anything about the powder for him. He was wondering if you could pull the bullets and use the charge as is and I told him I SURE WOULD NOT not until I found out what the powder is like and then build up a load.

RU shooter
06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
The CZ and Albanian LB ammo that I use the powder from is similar to 4895 in load data comparison in the 54R with the Alb being the slower of the two . Be aware that it acts different in different size cases. its not canister grade by a long shot and should be treated as such when developing loads

jh45gun
06-10-2009, 09:33 PM
This will be used in the same russian case it came out of. Thanks for the info

stephen
06-11-2009, 03:08 AM
I don't see any reason why you can't just replace the bullet w/ the sabot round. I've gone that route w/ 7.62 tokarev before. It probably won't reach the velocity increase he wants though, very small gain for me.

jonk
06-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Replacing the original projectile won't hurt anything if you are replacing with one that is lighter.

The powder might not burn very well with a light little sabot round though.

singleshotbuff
06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I too have found the powder in surplus 54R ammo to be CLOSE to 4895. Not exact, but close.

As stated above, if using it in the same cartridge with a lighter projectile, you should be fine.

SSB